2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hesitation

I am expierencing a little hesitation when accelerating through the gears. Mainly noticed in 2nd and 3rd. Without accellerating hard, just smooth and normal, it's doing it between 2200-3100 rpm's, above 3 grand and it decides to smooth itself out. I have taken my intake off looking for dirt or debris, cleaned the MAF, and it's still hesitating on accell. Any ideas?
Old 09-02-2006, 12:21 PM

Bad, fuel maybe? get some injector cleaner and run it through a tank of gas, and if the hesitation is still there than you should get it looked at.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:28 PM

I just did that. I changed my oil 1k ago, and every oil change I add a bottle of Lucas Fuel Cleaner. Dont know what the deal is, plugs maybe?
Old 09-02-2006, 12:37 PM

Hmm, thats is weird, does it shake between those rpm's or just not accelerate at the regular smoothness?
Old 09-02-2006, 12:44 PM

YO i have had the same problem and its most likely just bad gas. In my case i filled up at some random place that i never used to and it started to do it and i never thought it was bad gas. it stopped a couple of days later and i just shrugged it off as nothing. so i was coming home from work and was low on gas so i stopped there again and it started to happen. so i assumed it was thier gas, ever since i haven't gone there nothing has happened.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by chevyracing19
Hmm, thats is weird, does it shake between those rpm's or just not accelerate at the regular smoothness?
Nope, just hesitates as if I was moving my foot on and off the throttle quickly.

As for bad gas, this is my second tank from a completely different station since it started.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:49 PM

Thats weird, I dont know what else to recomend, I doubt it would be a clogged cat. How's your delearship treat you?
Old 09-02-2006, 12:58 PM

Not bad. I've only been in ther once for a door panel problem. Not sure how they'll be when they pop the hood and see my intake.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:08 PM

Any bolt ons?? I also had that problem but, I just bumped up my maf translater to run a little richer and problem went away.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Fast Freddy
Any bolt ons?? I also had that problem but, I just bumped up my maf translater to run a little richer and problem went away.
What do you mean you "bumped up your maf translator"? I dont really want to mess with the maf.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:09 PM

you could try throwing on your stock air intake and seeing if the problem goes away or not, just an idea though.

If not then take it too the delership
Old 09-02-2006, 02:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im having this exact problem right now too.

I just got stage 2 about 2 weeks ago and im DEFINATELY feeling a hesitation through accel on 2nd and 3rd. most noticable at half throttle.
full throttle its barely there. and not at all above 4krpm.

just yesterday i heard a very very disconcerting metallic rattle type sound (only once) that i couldnt get to repeat....but ive noticed that im boosting at about 112kpa (16PSI)
which makes no sense because i have a video of my fresh stage 2 boosting at 100kpa (15psi) so im almost certain i have a clogged cat.

and in turn it would almost certainly suggest that my hesistation is caused by the car running disgustingly rich through those low RPMS.

Ill be taking it in after the long weekend for them to probably replace my cat and adress the A/F ratio (if im guessing it right)
Old 09-02-2006, 02:53 PM

I have a bad hesitation when going into reverse, almost 2 seconds. It makes for interesting k-turns..my friend wondered one time why I went plowing into a bush, and it happened infront of a cop, too.. =\
Old 09-02-2006, 04:32 PM

Well I dont know what the deal is, but Im going to try using something I used on a buddy's 00 Civic when it was running like ****. Seafoam, I added that to the gas and topped off today, so we'll see how that works out.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 1SloBowtie
I am expierencing a little hesitation when accelerating through the gears. Mainly noticed in 2nd and 3rd. Without accellerating hard, just smooth and normal, it's doing it between 2200-3100 rpm's, above 3 grand and it decides to smooth itself out. I have taken my intake off looking for dirt or debris, cleaned the MAF, and it's still hesitating on accell. Any ideas?
The factory tune does not engage power enrichment until after ~2800 rpms. That's probably why.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by an0malous
Im having this exact problem right now too.

I just got stage 2 about 2 weeks ago and im DEFINATELY feeling a hesitation through accel on 2nd and 3rd. most noticable at half throttle.
full throttle its barely there. and not at all above 4krpm.

just yesterday i heard a very very disconcerting metallic rattle type sound (only once) that i couldnt get to repeat....but ive noticed that im boosting at about 112kpa (16PSI)
which makes no sense because i have a video of my fresh stage 2 boosting at 100kpa (15psi) so im almost certain i have a clogged cat.

and in turn it would almost certainly suggest that my hesistation is caused by the car running disgustingly rich through those low RPMS.

Ill be taking it in after the long weekend for them to probably replace my cat and adress the A/F ratio (if im guessing it right)
I get the rattling noise mostly in second gear under hard accel at lower rpms.

Stage 2 delays power enrichment until 4800 rpms. You need a retune! That's way too late when you're makinf 10lbs of boost almost off the bat.
Old 09-02-2006, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Psykostevo
I get the rattling noise mostly in second gear under hard accel at lower rpms.

Stage 2 delays power enrichment until 4800 rpms. You need a retune! That's way too late when you're makinf 10lbs of boost almost off the bat.
Not to be a *****, but he has a 2.2

My auto has smooth power delivery throughout rpm band. Mine idles rough at 1,100 rpm at startup but thats it.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:15 PM

dude i have the same issue...what i believe it is is just the overdrive if auto...or mainly since i have a CAI as well...that the intake actually causes slight hesitation untill 3k because thats when the air really starts to move....that is all it really is so dont worry
Old 09-02-2006, 06:20 PM

do a search on "clogged cat" on this forum and do a little reading.

there is no doubt these things either run to rich in general. or the cat is just not holding up. because ALOT of cobalts are having clogged cat issues.

The heat from behind my engine where the cat is yesterday was nasty.
its hesitating....and its overboosting....for me im 95% certain i have a clogged cat.

and id not be surprised if the OP does too.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:44 PM

A clogged cat on a brand new car? WTF!?!?!?
Old 09-02-2006, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by SIMMONS 2.0
dude i have the same issue...what i believe it is is just the overdrive if auto...or mainly since i have a CAI as well...that the intake actually causes slight hesitation untill 3k because thats when the air really starts to move....that is all it really is so dont worry
wow i was totally ignored so ill repost myself...read it this time...that is relativley normal...unless it is alot of hesitation...then there is a prob
Old 09-02-2006, 07:11 PM

have a good search on the forums. there have been a few clogged cats under 3k miles
and even a few under 1k.

wow i was totally ignored so ill repost myself...read it this time...that is relativley normal...unless it is alot of hesitation...then there is a prob
you werent ignored. but myself and the OP are reffering to a hesitation that is quite noticable and definately isnt something that should be happening.
like he said....its like if you feathered your foot on the accelerator
its like a "chugging" feeling.

OP keep an eye on your fuel mileage....and check the heat from your cat next time you drive for a while.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by an0malous
have a good search on the forums. there have been a few clogged cats under 3k miles
and even a few under 1k.

you werent ignored. but myself and the OP are reffering to a hesitation that is quite noticable and definately isnt something that should be happening.
like he said....its like if you feathered your foot on the accelerator
its like a "chugging" feeling.

OP keep an eye on your fuel mileage....and check the heat from your cat next time you drive for a while.
ok well in that case good luck...i was reffering to the hesitation i feel...which can be described as a lag...when i press the pedal it starts to rev and then drops the power band even w/ a little more throttle it seem to bog...untill 3k then it's woot woot time lol
Old 09-02-2006, 09:50 PM
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SIMMONS 2.0
ok well in that case good luck...i was reffering to the hesitation i feel...which can be described as a lag...when i press the pedal it starts to rev and then drops the power band even w/ a little more throttle it seem to bog...untill 3k then it's woot woot time lol
That happened on my old car that was boosted, granted it was turbo. It was running at a slightly higher boost lvl because of my exhaust and intake upgrades and happened rarely. My guess is your problem is fuel/ignition related and maybe tune related like a temp fuel kill happening. As far as the original problem I also get a little bit of that pulsing in accelaration, but it doesn't feel like your typical bad spark plugs and the car is still too new for me to have an idea of what causes this.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by YSUsteven
Not to be a *****, but he has a 2.2

My auto has smooth power delivery throughout rpm band. Mine idles rough at 1,100 rpm at startup but thats it.
Yeah, sometimes I forget that not EVERYONE here actually has an SS.

Quick Reply: Hesitation