2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

how much gain?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how much gain?

how much will i gain by putting in a K&N drop in filter. i have a custom intake which is kinda like a sri. its a cai from a civic cut off and put from the filter box to the car intake (i dont know what this is called) i noticed a huge difference in my car, its a good bit faster, especially climbing hills. will i notice the same gains again by putting in a high performance air filter. here is a picture of my setup.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:36 PM

Old 05-18-2011, 01:38 PM

i know your new to this...so ill try and be nice :P

you may see MINIMUL gains (like less the 1 whp i would guess) from that...in fact if you havent pulled the rest of the lower intake pieces out...i would guestimate that your getting MAYBE 2whp extra from your intake piping...

me thinks your butt dyno needs calibration...

btw...your going to need this:
Old 05-18-2011, 01:39 PM

I promise you, that you didn't actually get any gains from that stupid pos sorry excuse for an aftermarket air intake whatsoever. If anything, with the angle of that bend right above the throttle body, you are severely restricting air flow. What a fail.

omg look at that kink in the oil return line!!!! WOW

Last edited by redcobalt07; 05-18-2011 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-18-2011, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by redcobalt07
I promise you, that you didn't actually get any gains from that stupid pos sorry excuse for an aftermarket air intake whatsoever. If anything, with the angle of that bend right above the throttle body, you are severely restricting air flow. What a fail.

ya, that def is a needless extra bend = lots of friction.

and that oil line is not a return lmao...its a "breather" and puts a vac on the system...looks like he isnt using vac line so its collapsing.
do yourself a favor on that one and go get some vac hose...itll be like 2$ lol
Old 05-18-2011, 02:39 PM

Dont have to be a douche, just tell him whats wrong and call it a day. Way to many ********* on here
Old 05-18-2011, 02:45 PM

there are gains i have noticed, it actually surprised me, but my question wasn't how much gain do you think i have received. my question is what will i gain from a drop in filter. As for the air line, should i just use the stock one from my stock intake? i didn't know much about it. for 20 dollars i think its a good setup. i bought this used intake from a friend with a civic, cut it to fit and thats what u ended up with. Is it really that different from a sri? it may not fit the way it should but its better than stock
Old 05-18-2011, 03:19 PM

It isn't fitting like an intake should. It's like a cheap ebay intake.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:25 PM

Received 840 Likes on 737 Posts
Originally Posted by kento19
there are gains i have noticed, it actually surprised me, but my question wasn't how much gain do you think i have received. my question is what will i gain from a drop in filter. As for the air line, should i just use the stock one from my stock intake? i didn't know much about it. for 20 dollars i think its a good setup. i bought this used intake from a friend with a civic, cut it to fit and thats what u ended up with. Is it really that different from a sri? it may not fit the way it should but its better than stock
its the 90bend to the 90 bend at the tb that is horrible, every elbow adds length to the airflow path (I forgot the equation for elbows in fluid dynamics).
And putting a drop in k&n drop in would not make it a SRI, because its still pulling air from the stock location which is underneath the passenger headlight.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by blackonblack07
its the 90bend to the 90 bend at the tb that is horrible, every elbow adds length to the airflow path (I forgot the equation for elbows in fluid dynamics).
And putting a drop in k&n drop in would not make it a SRI, because its still pulling air from the stock location which is underneath the passenger headlight.
according to the K&N website a drop in will add 5 to 6 hp to your old setup so is this still the case or not. I know what i have isnt a 300 dollar setup but its better than stock, it sounds mean and i can notice a slight increase in performance. I'm just wondering what the drop in will do. If what i have done can somehow damage my car please let me know, if not just dont say anything. i only asked a question. i didnt ask for criticism.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:35 PM

its a $50 filter.. just go get it and see for yourself..
Old 05-18-2011, 03:38 PM

It isn't fitting like an intake should. It's like a cheap ebay intake.
my cheap ebay intake fits like a brand name cai...dont knwo what your talking about hahahha
Old 05-18-2011, 03:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5whp and only 45 calories per serving!

Old 05-18-2011, 03:44 PM

at least if your going to run a cheap intake pipe, get the correct one. yes this is a picture of what my car WAS LIKE. i now have an injen. i did this as a temporary fix because my stock intake piece was rubbing a hole (not through thank god) on my coolant overflow line (if you look close you can see it in the picture where there is a dark line in the metal piece)
Old 05-18-2011, 03:46 PM

Of course it is going to sound better but that doesn't mean it's actually performing better.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:17 PM

so no other opinions on the filter? i can go pick one up tonight for 45 dollars but if it really isn't going to do anything im not going to get it. Im a university student currently looking for employment so im not gonna spend 45 dollars just to see if it works.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:22 PM

you should really fix that
Old 05-18-2011, 05:52 PM

so no other opinions on the filter? i can go pick one up tonight for 45 dollars but if it really isn't going to do anything im not going to get it. Im a university student currently looking for employment so im not gonna spend 45 dollars just to see if it works.
then start saving and do it right, dont go super cheap (i'm not flaming buying ebay parts, same thing without the name brand)
Old 05-18-2011, 06:44 PM

then start saving and do it right, dont go super cheap (i'm not flaming buying ebay parts, same thing without the name brand)
I have other things I need to spend money on. Other people have done an intake similar to mine. I'm just wondering if the k&n filter is that much better than stock but people are refusing to answer.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:22 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up tru tru tru.. ive experienced a few. kinda b.s i think..

Ky for the win bro.. Good ole southern hospitality..
Originally Posted by jmesl8er
Dont have to be a douche, just tell himt whats wrong and call it a day. Way to many ********* on here
Old 05-18-2011, 08:23 PM

I have other things I need to spend money on. Other people have done an intake similar to mine. I'm just wondering if the k&n filter is that much better than stock but people are refusing to answer.
please inform all of us of the "others" that have an intake like yours.

and as far as the k&n flowing better, their numbers say they do, but you're looking at like 1whp maybe like it was said earlier.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:29 PM

please inform all of us of the "others" that have an intake like yours.

and as far as the k&n flowing better, their numbers say they do, but you're looking at like 1whp maybe like it was said earlier.
Padlock had one. If you look at the engine bay thread abd custom intake threads I think there are two others. I just don't see what the problem is. If I like the sound and notice a performance increase why is it so bad. Because it's not 300 dollars? I have a cobalt ls. Is everyone gonna criticize that too cause it's not an ss. I come on this forum looking for help and ideas while helping others at the same time. Some people just enjoy criticizing other people's work. I can't afford cai so I made my own. When I'm finished med school I will most likely have anything I need but I won't talk down on other people's stuff. If your not gonna help just don't post.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:44 PM

the only way you're going to see if there was any kind of performance gain is to do a couple of dyno pulls...one with the stock intake, and one with your make-shift intake. Otherwise your whole argument about "I notice a performance increase" is useless.

Now, back to your original question. Will you notice a hp gain from a k&n filter compared to the stock paper filter? Yes, simply because K&N filters are designed to let in more airflow because of the material they are made of. That doesn't mean you're going to notice a 5hp, 10hp, 15hp, 50hp, or 100hp gain off of just that.

K&N simply says that drivers will likely see a percentage increase in hp, but they don't actually know what vehicle will necessarily have their filter. For your car specifically, you might only see 1hp at best...but only because you're making your intake system less restrictive.

If you simply want less restriction, listen to some of the other people that have already posted. They know what they're talking about, and it has nothing to do with spending 300 bucks on a name brand.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
it's a filter, you won't notice much if anything. On a side note, gas mileage may increase because of it (if your stock one is dirty).
Old 05-18-2011, 09:47 PM

Padlock had one. If you look at the engine bay thread abd custom intake threads I think there are two others. I just don't see what the problem is. If I like the sound and notice a performance increase why is it so bad. Because it's not 300 dollars? I have a cobalt ls. Is everyone gonna criticize that too cause it's not an ss. I come on this forum looking for help and ideas while helping others at the same time. Some people just enjoy criticizing other people's work. I can't afford cai so I made my own. When I'm finished med school I will most likely have anything I need but I won't talk down on other people's stuff. If your not gonna help just don't post.
I'm not flaming you because you have an LS, i drive an LT.

And their custom intakes are not a SRI from a civic, that makes a double elbow before the tb. I'm all for custom intakes if you have the skills to do it, but the double elbow ruins your flow rates. The performance gain you notice is the sound difference, its all in your head. Flat filters dont flow as much as conical filters, so if you really want some "gains", get a MAF adapter, 2 silicone couplers, and a conical filter.

but honestly if you're worried about the money, i wont be spending it on a filter or for your car other than gas.

Quick Reply: how much gain?