2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

how much gain?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blackonblack07
I'm not flaming you because you have an LS, i drive an LT.

And their custom intakes are not a SRI from a civic, that makes a double elbow before the tb. I'm all for custom intakes if you have the skills to do it, but the double elbow ruins your flow rates. The performance gain you notice is the sound difference, its all in your head. Flat filters dont flow as much as conical filters, so if you really want some "gains", get a MAF adapter, 2 silicone couplers, and a conical filter.

but honestly if you're worried about the money, i wont be spending it on a filter or for your car other than gas.
i really notice a gain but lets not even talk about that anymore. I appreciate the input, i just got really frustrating when i couldn't get an answer to the question i asked because people were criticizing what i had done which is best i could do right now. Where can i get a MAF adapter? is it expensive? I cut off my intake i have for it to fit into place, if i clamp a MAF adapter between what i have now(position it differently) and attach the cut off part to the other side, it will go directly down through that hole (under the headlight bracket) and i could attach my aftermarket filter which i already have down by the fog light. does this option sound any better? im able to go spend 50 dollars on a drop in air filter im not that hard off, but if i can get a MAF adapter for a decent price i can completely take out the filter box and i will be able to use the round aftermarket filter that came with the intake.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:01 PM

Tom did answer your question. like 1whp
Old 05-18-2011, 10:15 PM

a k&n filter will flow better then the stock filter. end of story. whether it filters better is a different story. and it probably wont. will the very little bit of stuff that gets through the filter hurt ur engine? most likely no.

the increase in performance that you feel is most likely not hp. i can bet money on it that the increase in performance is just an increase in THROTLE RESPONSE. between your tube and a conical filter, you will maybe see 0-5 hp, 5 if you are lucky. and that is 5 at the crank, not the wheels. almost everyone knows that intakes dont do much for performance. they do alot more for throttle response. you are able to get the same amount of air in faster, if the intake is designed right. yes power can come from them, but not much.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:59 PM

Received 840 Likes on 737 Posts
Originally Posted by kento19
i really notice a gain but lets not even talk about that anymore. I appreciate the input, i just got really frustrating when i couldn't get an answer to the question i asked because people were criticizing what i had done which is best i could do right now. Where can i get a MAF adapter? is it expensive? I cut off my intake i have for it to fit into place, if i clamp a MAF adapter between what i have now(position it differently) and attach the cut off part to the other side, it will go directly down through that hole (under the headlight bracket) and i could attach my aftermarket filter which i already have down by the fog light. does this option sound any better? im able to go spend 50 dollars on a drop in air filter im not that hard off, but if i can get a MAF adapter for a decent price i can completely take out the filter box and i will be able to use the round aftermarket filter that came with the intake.
it was answered in post 3.
The maf adapter and silicone parts (including clamps) will run you around 40-50, and the filter will run around 30-50. but if you dont have a lot of mechanic know how or dont have any friends that do, just do the K&N drop in and call it a day.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by blackonblack07
it was answered in post 3.
The maf adapter and silicone parts (including clamps) will run you around 40-50, and the filter will run around 30-50. but if you dont have a lot of mechanic know how or dont have any friends that do, just do the K&N drop in and call it a day.
do you know where i could get it? anywhere local possibly or would it have to be online?
Old 05-19-2011, 01:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
get a full real name brand intake and call it a day.
you get what you pay for with the pepboys piping.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would say. 0hp
Old 05-19-2011, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by kento19
do you know where i could get it? anywhere local possibly or would it have to be online?
start with local parts stores, and do some looking around here i'm sure somone has posted about their custom intake build
Old 05-19-2011, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Cobalt08LS
get a full real name brand intake and call it a day.
you get what you pay for with the pepboys piping.
as long as you stay with the aluminum piping and mandrel bent you'll be fine building a SRI custom, now a CAI would be easier to just buy
Old 05-19-2011, 08:28 AM

I'm not sure if someone has mentioned this or not, i quit reading posts after awhile. I made a custom SRI on my 2007 ls, id say this is your best bet, not too expensive and a fun project. And the thing that you said is the engine "intake", if you're talking about the silver part bolted on to it, that is the throttle body. Do not move the plate inside the throttle body!!
Here's how i did my intake...

-I took out the silencer that sits behind the bumper, there's a how to on that
-I also took out my stock air box, also a how to for that.
-I ran a 90 degree elbow off my throttle body ($10)
-Off the elbow i put the MAF sensor adaptor ($35 from autozone)
-Then from that i put an exhaust pipe step up. It's maybe 4" long and goes from a 2" diameter to a 3" diameter ($5)
-Then on the end of that i put a spectre 3" cone filter ($25)
- Where you have the hose running from the valve covers to the intake pipe, delete that. Buy a little filter from advanced auto or autozone and put that on the opening off the valve cover and call it a day. ($10)
-You're going to need two couplers to hold the pipes together. ($10)
-And while you're working with it, it wouldnt hurt to buy the CRC MAF sensor cleaner from a parts store, its like $6, and clean up you MAF sensor.

So all together you're looking at maybe $100 at the most. you will not be able to feel too much of a difference, but you'll feel a little. But i get 40 highway MPG.

When you do this make sure you disconnect your negative battery wire.

If you end up doing this let me know, good luck!!
Old 05-20-2011, 09:39 AM

Ok, now what I don't get is why all you lt and ls guys feel the need to mod your cars. Regardless of what you do to it you're never going to come close to even a NA/SS. A suggestion: if you want a quick car spend the extra cash for an SS otherwise just settle with the fact that you have a decent "economy" car. Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking that by any means I'm sure a lot of you have kids and need the sedan. Personally I load up my 4yr old and newborn into my 2010 SS/TC (pain in the ass mind you) because majority of the time I'm on my own and absolutley love roasting those ricers on my way to work. All I'm saying is don't beat a dead horse, an lt or ls is never gonna be quick enough to justify the cash you would drop on a CAI or exhaust. And to answer the original post I would suggest going with the K&N. You won't notice much of a HP boost if any but will get a little better throttle response and slightly better mpg. Will pay for itself as you won't need to replace those cheap ass paper filters ever again.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:48 AM

Know it all^^^^^^^. Modding is a hobby, doesnt matter what it is. Take mine for example, I'm not trying to be faster than an SS, just want a nice daily. I'll thank you now for all the LS and LT guys
Old 05-20-2011, 12:17 PM

Dido to jmesl8r! i dont understand why everyone insists on being a douche on here. working on cars is a hobby. none of us claimed we were gonna build our car to be as fast as an ss or anything. arent people supposed to come to a forum to ask questions theyre unsure about? not to be made an ass out off. congratulations you have an ss, good for you. id rather build my car up, rather than buying it with everything already done for me. there's no need to be a *****, if u cant just answer the question asked, hit the back button and leave the post
Old 05-20-2011, 12:59 PM

The filter won't be worth it for any power gains. It will be worth it for not having to replace filters all the time.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:37 PM

Wasn't trying to be a ***** or a know it all. Was just saying I don't understand it. If it makes you happy then good on you. And I did answer his question.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Misery
Wasn't trying to be a ***** or a know it all. Was just saying I don't understand it. If it makes you happy then good on you. And I did answer his question.
yes you where being a *****, and turbo'd and supercharged L61's walk NA/SS
Old 05-20-2011, 08:21 PM

Ok I apologize then, a few beer + posting = coming across the wrong way lol.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by Misery
Ok, now what I don't get is why all you lt and ls guys feel the need to mod your cars. Regardless of what you do to it you're never going to come close to even a NA/SS. A suggestion: if you want a quick car spend the extra cash for an SS otherwise just settle with the fact that you have a decent "economy" car. Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking that by any means I'm sure a lot of you have kids and need the sedan. Personally I load up my 4yr old and newborn into my 2010 SS/TC (pain in the ass mind you) because majority of the time I'm on my own and absolutley love roasting those ricers on my way to work. All I'm saying is don't beat a dead horse, an lt or ls is never gonna be quick enough to justify the cash you would drop on a CAI or exhaust. And to answer the original post I would suggest going with the K&N. You won't notice much of a HP boost if any but will get a little better throttle response and slightly better mpg. Will pay for itself as you won't need to replace those cheap ass paper filters ever again.
you sir couldnt be more wrong in that post. I have an 05 LS sedan 2.2 S/C that would like to argue the whole LS LT not being worth modding. The Aftermarket for the L61 is massive dude, you can build it to be way stronger than a stock LNF. Plus another great thing is im probably about 250 lbs lighter than the SS counterpart. Ive ran a stock SS/TC and Ill admit to getting beat but not by much. I drop a smaller pulley on more aggressive tune, stock TC will see tail lights.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by AZFire316
you sir couldnt be more wrong in that post. I have an 05 LS sedan 2.2 S/C that would like to argue the whole LS LT not being worth modding. The Aftermarket for the L61 is massive dude, you can build it to be way stronger than a stock LNF. Plus another great thing is im probably about 250 lbs lighter than the SS counterpart. Ive ran a stock SS/TC and Ill admit to getting beat but not by much. I drop a smaller pulley on more aggressive tune, stock TC will see tail lights.
2005 Cobalt LS curb weight: 2991lbs.
2008 Cobalt SS curb weight: 2975lbs.

Try again. Then there's that whole "stock LNF" thing...You spent how much money to still be slower than a stock TC? Anything can be fast with enough money and you can mod however you want, but I think it's clear which is the better platform.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:59 PM

2991? where did you get that figure? my car weighs in at 2747lbs. And I spent only ~1400 on my S/C setup. I dont doubt for a second that the SS is the better platform to start on, but to claim the LS/LT is useless to mod is crazy talk.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by AZFire316
2991? where did you get that figure? my car weighs in at 2747lbs. And I spent only ~1400 on my S/C setup. I dont doubt for a second that the SS is the better platform to start on, but to claim the LS/LT is useless to mod is crazy talk.
he's just mad he pays more for insurance
Old 05-25-2011, 10:20 PM

back to the original topic, there is a guy on here selling a 2.2 intake for 100 bucks if its not already sold. i got my injen for 100 bucks. thats the only reason i bought it just because it was 100 bucks, i never wouldve spent the 300 bucks for one. a drop in filter isnt gonna do ****. hell my full intake doesnt do anything. but sound a little better, and i think i noticed 1mpg better. for starters take the intake silencer off and buy a real vaccum hose as stated. that kink cant be good.

and to misery ive dropped about 2 grand? on my car and dont regret it...sure its slow...although ive beat plenty of the mexican fast and the furious wannabes around here and my car is pretty much stock...i just wanted a nice LOOKING DD. and ive accomplished that to my own standards.

I'm waiting on the 2012 ZL1 Camaro ss not to thread jack but have you guys seen it? it's sexy.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:50 AM

/thread
Old 05-26-2011, 07:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dyno proven CAI on the 2.2 will get you an extra 64.3 1WTQ and -64.3 0WHP
Old 05-26-2011, 08:09 PM

belt driven intake FTW!