2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Hp???

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hp???

How much hp and torque can a 2.2 withstand b 4 having to replace stuff?
And im looking to get around 400 hp so what all would i need to replace?

Evan
Old 11-11-2005, 01:56 PM

maybe 250 hp
Old 11-11-2005, 01:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have the 2.2, you should go get the buildbook for the 2.2 I'm pretty sure the first or second section says what you need to do to build it up to 400 horses
Old 11-11-2005, 02:12 PM

It depends on what you do to get your car to that level, I think the build book says you can go to around 250 before you need to start replacing internals.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:23 PM

for 400 hp really all u would need to change would be the rods/pistons and maybe valve springs but if ur already tearing apart the engine u might as well do it all at once.

go here for a lil more insite:

http://www.hahnracecraft.com/auto/Ca.../HRCEcotec.htm
Old 11-11-2005, 07:26 PM

I believe the rods were the first thing to go on the eco when GM was doing their build. I think they were pushin 280 horses on nitrous when it happened...

~Mike
Old 11-11-2005, 10:29 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can help you here. The info above is all pretty accurate. I have just finished doing the necessary upgrades to my car for a street legal 400 HP car. What is your goal with the car? Everyday driver or just track use, or something in between? Mine is an everyday driver.

I have just finished installed Eagle Rods, Wiseco reduced compression pistons, Bates engineering valve springs, and GM Performance adjustable cam gears. That should give me a block that can safely handle up to 600 HP.

Don't forget about your trans. Which one do you have? The manual will require a better clutch for that kind of power. The Automatic will require a bit more. I have the auto. It now has a limited slip differential, high stall torque converter, high output fluid pressure pump, and many improved internals such as clutch packs. My trans can now handle about 400 ft/lbs.

How are you going to make that power? Turbo or nitrous? That will play a role as well.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by halfcent
Don't forget about your trans.

And don't forget about your half-shaft's/CV-joints ..... I'm sure the stock ones would snap pretty quick with 400+HP& torque.... Halfcent, ...Any idea how much the stock half-shafts can withstand btw.... just wondering...
Old 11-12-2005, 08:00 PM
I'm old school

Specific stats, no. I have heard from Hahn Racecraft that the stock half shafts on GM front wheel drive cars are about the strongest ones made by any manufacturer. There are still aftermarket ones out there. I haven't bothered to do those yet since it wasn't a really weak link in the chain. If they break, I'll replace them with upgraded ones without any problems. Until then, stock is good for me.

The only time I have heard of the shafts breaking is due to wheel hop. If you are gripping or slipping, you are ok. If you are bouncing, snap-a-rooney.
Old 11-12-2005, 08:24 PM

I have an auto, and i plan to put a stage 3 turbo in it, so basically i need to replace rods/pistons, valve springs, pressure pump

whats a torque converter,camgear,and clutch pack?
Old 11-12-2005, 09:10 PM

quick question, whats a "build book"
Old 11-12-2005, 11:31 PM
I'm old school

Originally Posted by wolfwood390
quick question, whats a "build book"
Don't be a smartass...

Anyway...

Originally Posted by TnCobaltMan
I have an auto, and i plan to put a stage 3 turbo in it, so basically i need to replace rods/pistons, valve springs, pressure pump

whats a torque converter,camgear,and clutch pack?
Rods and pistons, yes.
Valve springs, don't have too, but easy to do while you are in there, and the gains greatly justify the very small cost.
Pressure pump, uh, which one? The trans fluid pump I will assume. This would be done by a performance tranmission shop building you a custom trans. You can't really just replace the pump, its kindda part of a package.

Now your what is questions.
I love to help people with their builds, but I fear you might be a bit behind the curve here if you don't know what a couple of those things are. I would suggest learning a little about cars first before you proceed to tear into one. Especially a brand new one like a Cobalt. But anyways, here are BRIEF descriptions. Try out howstuffworks.com for really good tutorials on transmissions.

A torque converter is the automatic transmission equivilant to a manual trans clutch. It is a fluid turbine that allows the engine to turn (like when it is running at idle) while the wheels stay put (like when you are in gear with the car is sitting still holding the brake). It connects the engine to the transmission.

A cam gear is just a gear on the end of the cam shaft that allows the timing chain to turn the cam shaft. The other end of the chain is connected to the crankshaft.

A clutch pack is a large set of disks (like 10) that are all stacked on top of each other inside an automatic trans. There is a set for each gear. Again, this is a set of parts that a performance shop would install as part of a package deal.

Hope that gets you going in the right direction.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:10 AM

half cent, what can i run on my 2.4 ss automatic as far as psi goes, i was thinking about 6 psi or possibly 7 psi before buliding tranny and internals?
Old 11-14-2005, 11:49 AM

Halfcent, how much did the auto tranny upgrade run you? I just bought an 06' LT auto and I'm thinking either upgrading the stock one or getting the GM race tranny out of the Phase5 from GM Performance. whats a better deal?
Old 11-14-2005, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by halfcent
The only time I have heard of the shafts breaking is due to wheel hop. If you are gripping or slipping, you are ok. If you are bouncing, snap-a-rooney.
This just happens to be a large problem on the 2.2L it seems. This happened once at the strip when launching my car as well as a couple of times in the rain when driving normally. I'm assuming I've done no damage to them as a result but I can't imagine it's going to get any better with the increase in hp/tq .

Permafried-
Old 11-14-2005, 01:13 PM
I'm old school

Originally Posted by celicacobalt
half cent, what can i run on my 2.4 ss automatic as far as psi goes, i was thinking about 6 psi or possibly 7 psi before buliding tranny and internals?
If your end result produces around 250 HP, your trans should be fine. I have heard that 8 psi is usually a pretty safe limit for non-improved powertrains.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:17 PM
I'm old school

Originally Posted by Stealth06LT
Halfcent, how much did the auto tranny upgrade run you? I just bought an 06' LT auto and I'm thinking either upgrading the stock one or getting the GM race tranny out of the Phase5 from GM Performance. whats a better deal?
Alot. This was major headache for me. It's finally done, but it took a long time. My price was $3400 complete (shipping, LSD, high stall converter, and the job itself). I stuck with the 4T45E because I plan to use it as an everyday driver. If you where to upgrade to the 4T65, that would be a big project. You would need a different computer to control it, a bell housing adapter, and it probably wouldn't be too street friendly anymore, but I'm not sure about that. If I had to guess, upgrading the one you have would be cheaper.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:30 PM

Yeah, i dont know much about cars, infact my cobalt is my first car. But thanks alot for the info.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:34 PM

Here's a link to the build book in pdf format from GM...

http://www.gm.com/company/gmtunersou...build_book.htm
Old 11-26-2005, 04:51 PM

hey halfcent,
how are you planning on getting your power. are you using the hahns turbo kit or something else?
Old 11-26-2005, 06:23 PM
I'm old school

Originally Posted by forcedgminduction
hey halfcent,
how are you planning on getting your power. are you using the hahns turbo kit or something else?
Yes, the Hahn kit.