2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

HRC 2.2L COBALT turbo kit interest

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up HRC 2.2L COBALT turbo kit interest

Mods...This is not a sale post. If it gets to that point I will pay the fees and use this as a selling point but for now HRC just wants a gauge on interest. Thanks.

That being said on with some details. I just got off the phone with HRC discussing my car and other things, including the Cobalt 2.2L kit. As it sits right now the 2.2L kit is BEHIND BOTH the 2.0L twin-charged kit and the 2.4L kit for the simple fact that there is more demand being shown by those groups for the product. Those kits are TENTITIVELY set to be released around September or October and then the 2.2L kit 2-3 months after that, likely around the start of the new year. The 2.2L kit is going to be under $4000 like the Cavalier kit was. What HRC wants to know, and what you can do to help get your kit made sooner, is add your name to the list below if you are 1) Interested in the kit and 2) WOULD AND COULD BUY IT when released. Please do NOT post your name here if you are just interested but could not reasonably expect to buy the kit in 2006 were it released around the same time as the other two kits. I know a magical number for them but I am not going to post it because that might make people say they want it just to get it made and then back out. So please...IF YOUR INTERESTED AND WILL BUY THE KIT POST THE INFORMATION AS STATED BELOW!

Real Name Username Email Address
EX. Ryne Hoover Hypsy store@ryne.com
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

Please copy and paste the list ONLY not the entire post. After #10 just add your number and keep going. Thanks and lets get this kit made for you guys! Also if you have any questions feel free to ask. I'll answer them as best as possible and if I can't I'll get an answer from HRC.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:10 PM

Real Name Username Email Address
EX. Ryne Hoover Hypsy store@ryne.com
1)sshaner (Bryce) bryce_shaner2000@hotmail.com
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)
Old 06-26-2006, 04:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok, again, just like all the other people that talk about turbo's here are some questions:

1) what kind of gains are we talking about?
2) how are you going to tackle the computer issues?

as said in many posts, there are companies that have kits ready to go, but they're worthless until the computers are cracked...
Old 06-26-2006, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
ok, again, just like all the other people that talk about turbo's here are some questions:

1) what kind of gains are we talking about?
2) how are you going to tackle the computer issues?

as said in many posts, there are companies that have kits ready to go, but they're worthless until the computers are cracked...
1) My Cavalier with the 2.2L Eco made 222WHP on 7.5PSI and 260WHP on 12PSI. I would guess around that from the stage 2 since it's the same motor.

2) On the cavalier kit they used a FMU and bigger injectors to add fuel. They will probably either do this or add a HPT reflash as an option. I know Bill is interested in testing out the HPT software and seeing it's potential.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:52 PM

i'm interested, but i have a very important question. how are they planning on tunning? without timing retard and changes to the fuel ratio your just plain gonna blow **** up. S-afc isn't gonna cut it either. I noticed that ppl keep talking about cracking the ecu. what there to crack? just cause cobalt is a new car doesn't mean it's a crazy new peace of technology.. You get into the ecu with a certain program and change ****. clear as day, not hard or time consuming.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by specvgini
i'm interested, but i have a very important question. how are they planning on tunning? without timing retard and changes to the fuel ratio your just plain gonna blow **** up. S-afc isn't gonna cut it either. I noticed that ppl keep talking about cracking the ecu. what there to crack? just cause cobalt is a new car doesn't mean it's a crazy new peace of technology.. You get into the ecu with a certain program and change ****. clear as day, not hard or time consuming.
The problem is that with the Ecotec ECU it is hard AND time consuming. GM, and other manufactures, are being cracked down on for mileage requirements so hard that they are making the ECUs more and more set and unchangable. There are A LOT of weird things with our ECUs like no open loop until your over 5600RPM causing the ECU to pull fuel all the way until then. We created a hack way to make this stop by playing with the sensors but it is not something that Bill would ever approve for use on customer cars.

That being said you do NOT need to retard the timing at all to run the kit. When your pushing boost and HP like I am you might need to but to run the standard stage 2 kit you won't need to. I have run mine to 12.536 @ 104MPH and 114MPH in the quarter without any changes to the ECU at all. The release of the HP Tuners software will definately make tuning a lot easier and more productive. We'll have to wait and see as the release date gets closer to know for sure what method theyll use but I expect that Bill would prefer to use HPT if it was possible to do a core ECU program.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:40 PM

This is all the interest there is? No wonder it's on the back burner....sheesh.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:28 AM

I have the money right now for a 2.4 kit ( clearing throat ) and im auto too and bill said thats no problem
Old 06-27-2006, 01:05 AM

i am def interested but need to see prices first
Old 06-27-2006, 01:11 AM

HRC 2.2L COBALT turbo kit interest

Well we have our first non-reader...

Originally Posted by mestrocks
i am def interested but need to see prices first
Originally Posted by hypsy from FIRST POST
The 2.2L kit is going to be under $4000 like the Cavalier kit was.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by celicacobalt
I have the money right now for a 2.4 kit ( clearing throat ) and im auto too and bill said thats no problem
Give me a shout sometime and I'll keep you up to date with the progress. I race with Bill almost weekly.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:13 AM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm sorry, but this is another pointless thread. Threads used to gauge interest for a manufacturer don't work, and never will.

Hahn already has a turbo kit that will work on this car except for the engine management. When that nut gets cracked, everybody, not just Hahn, will be able to produce us a kit.

Hahn doesn't need to gauge interest. He has already developed the port fueler intake manifold, the turbo exhaust manifold, the turbo itself, all the ducting, intercooler, and even a proprietery exhaust for the whole thing. He doesn't have to decide to invest in making the parts, because he already has. All he needs is engine manangement.

You want to help? Work on getting HP Tuners to start R&D on the Cobalt E16 ECM. They have already got software for the 4T45E automatic trans.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Halfcent
I'm sorry, but this is another pointless thread. Threads used to gauge interest for a manufacturer don't work, and never will.

Hahn already has a turbo kit that will work on this car except for the engine management. When that nut gets cracked, everybody, not just Hahn, will be able to produce us a kit.

Hahn doesn't need to gauge interest. He has already developed the port fueler intake manifold, the turbo exhaust manifold, the turbo itself, all the ducting, intercooler, and even a proprietery exhaust for the whole thing. He doesn't have to decide to invest in making the parts, because he already has. All he needs is engine manangement.

You want to help? Work on getting HP Tuners to start R&D on the Cobalt E16 ECM. They have already got software for the 4T45E automatic trans.
Funny because I was DIRECTED BY HRC to make this post to see if there was ENOUGH interest in the 2.2 kit to warrent bumping up it's release date. It appears that there isn't though. I was asked 4 times last week for info about the kit so I asked when I called them. Sorry for trying to help other Ecotec guys out. Guess I won't try that again...that work for you? Thought it might be appriciated that someone is trying to help...guess not.

Seriously...what is so bad about a company wanting to know if there's enough interest to bump release dayes up? They don't post on here and I do so I posted this for THEM and the 2.2L OWNERS.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:44 AM

when one comes out one comes out geeeze
Old 06-27-2006, 03:14 AM

well Hahn certainly is not the only company looking to release a kit for these cars. cutting down other companies who are looking to release a kit simply because Hahn hasn't done anything yet is a little ridiculous.

turbo kits were run on the 2.2L Ecotec in the Cavalier long before HP Tuners released a thing so its not impossible to tune for boost on our engines just the same. same as the LSJ, what if those guys had that type of attitude when the Intense kits came out?

you have to be realistic, as a business nobody is just going to release parts and hope for the best...it doesn't take a business major to grasp that concept. an interest check is simply to see who is talking out of their ass and who isn't...if there were actually guys trying to make something happen then they would do something about it instead of waiting around.

with that being said I hope you guys actually do pull something together. I myself already have my mine set on the nitrous route. but from so many people talking about how they want to turbocharge their car, I've yet to see anyone actually step up and do anything about it.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by hypsy
Give me a shout sometime and I'll keep you up to date with the progress. I race with Bill almost weekly.
ill definately do that . im praying hard to be turbo charged by at least the end of the summer so i can hit the track before it closes for the winter...
Old 06-27-2006, 11:29 AM
Banned

If Hahn is making EVERYTHING why do they need help for this? Why dont they make there own engine management rather then someone else trying to crack the code...
Old 06-27-2006, 11:59 AM
I'm old school

Originally Posted by hypsy
Funny because I was DIRECTED BY HRC to make this post to see if there was ENOUGH interest in the 2.2 kit to warrent bumping up it's release date. It appears that there isn't though. I was asked 4 times last week for info about the kit so I asked when I called them. Sorry for trying to help other Ecotec guys out. Guess I won't try that again...that work for you? Thought it might be appriciated that someone is trying to help...guess not.

Seriously...what is so bad about a company wanting to know if there's enough interest to bump release dayes up? They don't post on here and I do so I posted this for THEM and the 2.2L OWNERS.
You've got the wrong attitude here. You were not "directed" by Hahn, you were asked to. Unless you are on the payroll, in which case I'm wrong. I'm not attacking you, relax. I'm attacking the idea of using a thread to try and motivate production.

First, there have been multiple threads started in this forum trying to put together "lists" of interested people to motivate manufacturers to make us a kit. A sound business isn't going to decide to push R&D based on a such a thing. Second, as I tried to explain, Hahn doesn't need to push R&D, he's already got all the hard parts built. He's only missing engine management.

They can't push up the release date of a product they don't have, no matter how much interest exists. Trust me, once they have a product they can sell, they will go to market with it.

Originally Posted by sneaky
If Hahn is making EVERYTHING why do they need help for this? Why dont they make there own engine management rather then someone else trying to crack the code...
Hahn isn't making everything, that's why there is a delay. Hahn specifically manufactures the intake and exhaust manifolds. The turbos are made for him by Mitsubishi. Mitsubishi is a supplier, and their product already works and is in stock. The duct work is all made elsewhere, and Hahn just welds and bends it into the right shape. AND... The electronics are all made by different companies. That simply isn't Hahns area of manufacturing.

The J-body kits used a Fuel Management Unit made by somebody else. Hahn just sets up the unit to operate correctly on his system in that car. There simply isn't a suitable FMU or ECM flash available yet for the Cobalt, that's all.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:06 PM
Banned

Hahn isn't making everything, that's why there is a delay. Hahn specifically manufactures the intake and exhaust manifolds. The turbos are made for him by Mitsubishi. Mitsubishi is a supplier, and their product already works and is in stock. The duct work is all made elsewhere, and Hahn just welds and bends it into the right shape. AND... The electronics are all made by different companies. That simply isn't Hahns area of manufacturing.

The J-body kits used a Fuel Management Unit made by somebody else. Hahn just sets up the unit to operate correctly on his system in that car. There simply isn't a suitable FMU or ECM flash available yet for the Cobalt, that's all.
No bash just wondering why Hahn can't handle this one thing that stops them.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hahn most likely doesn't employ computer programmers.

I'd say thats a good reason to be stopped by computer programming issues
Old 06-27-2006, 12:30 PM
I'm old school

I've only known Bill for about a year, and then I have only spoken with him in person a few times. But I can tell you he is aware of the need for some attention toward the computer control issue.

Pure speculation here, but I know that Bills son is currently enrolled at ITT here in Chicago. Perhaps he is interested in helping dad with the design and manufacturing of control systems.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:49 PM

Hahn doesn't need to push R&D, he's already got all the hard parts built. He's only missing engine management.
if hes missing the engine management then the R&D has not yet began
Old 06-27-2006, 06:14 PM

As I said Bill is VERY interested in the new HPT software and it's potential applications. I guess we'll have to wait and see what that brings along. However...FMU are not application specific. You can make one work on a Cobalt that works on a Cavalier. They don't have to be designed for the Cobalt to work.

I'll see what kind of info I can get and keep y'all updated.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:27 AM

ha, i'd sit back and enjoy the wait cause it's gonna be a while. there was a thread like this that a company started on the specv forums. they are called technosquare. and they were making reflashes. well they wanted to gauge interest as well and after getting a huge amount and teasing the consumer they still haven't produced a reflash. it's all bullshit don't ask for interest that you know is there just build the kit and come back when it's ready and you wanna make a group buy. And i won't be paying almost 4k for a turbo kit with a t3 and no engine managment present. anyone thats knows anything about turbo kits knows thats too much.

correction: i checked technosquares site they now had the reflash. just had to wait two yrs. doesn't maximum boost have a kit out for under 2k?
Old 06-28-2006, 08:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by specvgini

correction: i checked technosquares site they now had the reflash. just had to wait two yrs. doesn't maximum boost have a kit out for under 2k?
Maximum Boost is still around? Last I heard that guy ripped off several people.

Quick Reply: HRC 2.2L COBALT turbo kit interest