2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Hydrogen Injection

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
least we wouldnt have to wear seatbelts. I mean, a fabric strap won't protect you from the apocolypse. lol
Old 09-14-2007, 11:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Smitty1017
least we wouldnt have to wear seatbelts. I mean, a fabric strap won't protect you from the apocolypse. lol
lol thats funny. seems interesting of a thread. seems old though. could work yeah electricity through the atoms and it splits them correct.

ryan. yeah basically the emissions would be oxygen or water vapor whichever same thing kinda like hydrogen fuel cell. just i think its different.

and another thing i was thinking while i was gone would it still really use injectors due to the fact of way higher pressures then say propane or gasoline. i mean would it have to fitted like brass fittings and such.like you know how dragsters are. screwed into the block.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by lewisb13
You burn the hydrogen and your exhaust is oxgen.
Although, now that I think about it, wouldn't the explosion just bond the h and o and make vapor? You can't really just destroy matter out of thin air. it has to change form

(2)H2+02 ---------(EXPLOSION)---> (2)h20

amirite?
Old 09-14-2007, 11:42 PM
Banned

Although, now that I think about it, wouldn't the explosion just bond the h and o and make vapor? You can't really just destroy matter out of thin air. it has to change form

(2)H2+02 ---------(EXPLOSION)---> (2)h20

amirite?

hm interesting math but. well the 2 do bond before igniting. oxygen gives the gas hydrogen something to make the burst of energy something to breathe. but as far as changing form yes. the hydrogen would burn and the oxygen would be used up so youd be left with something like water vapor in the end which is basically H2O dont ask me how they combine after being split in the igniting period. they come back together solidifying and cooling down in the exhaust and just vaporizing thus making water vapor.

so yeah your right. just kinda shaky on the physics of exactly mathematics behind it i know some not all. havnt been in school for 2 years lol.

ryan. now i dont believe either that the hydrogen and oxygen are directly injected together and the same time!!!

i think its something like a seperate injection like H here and O there at the same time close intake or whatever and ignite something along that lines.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:49 PM

I forget the type of reaction it would be, since im not in chemistry class anymore, and i've blocked it out of my mind since switching up my major, but, it's kind of weird to think about actually even with a simple reaction like that. They can't bind before ignition I can assume. The only thing thats confusing me is I wonder if the pressure in the cyclinder (pre ignition) can cause the Hydrogen and Oxygen to bond ( react)

I know it can't be possible if you want the motor to run, because obviously for an explosion you need air(O2) Fuel (H2) and ignition (Sparkplug)

But that could be a problem for those water cars all the same...dead cylinders?

Pressure can cause reactions right? I can't seem to remember
Old 09-14-2007, 11:56 PM
Banned

I forget the type of reaction it would be, since im not in chemistry class anymore, and i've blocked it out of my mind since switching up my major, but, it's kind of weird to think about actually even with a simple reaction like that. They can't bind before ignition I can assume. The only thing thats confusing me is I wonder if the pressure in the cyclinder (pre ignition) can cause the Hydrogen and Oxygen to bond ( react)

I know it can't be possible if you want the motor to run, because obviously for an explosion you need air(O2) Fuel (H2) and ignition (Sparkplug)

But that could be a problem for those water cars all the same...dead cylinders?

Pressure can cause reactions right? I can't seem to remember
yes with certain pressures things ignite. but im not sure of the composition of o and h. you would still need some sort of ignition. and spark plug would not sustain the pressure it would have to be steel block or somehow reinforced.

you cant bond the 2 before in the chamber or some sort of chamber you cant think cylinders because i havnt seen one. and i dont think they are going to be that way but they can be.

ryan.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was under the impression that we cant see atoms yet. you're implying theyhave seen atoms?
lol...yes we can see atoms...we can see electrons, which are 1/10000 the size of the atoms a whole....even smaller actually....its called an electron microscope.....although ive read that larger atoms just look like fuzzy blobs

Originally Posted by rlinden86
why not. it could be out there in space. something beyond our even ability to comprehend or even come close to harnessing. any time soon or even finding.
do you know what dark matter is? beause i doubt theres any way to harness power from it if it does exist
do believe in something smaller than the atom? have you heard that one yet lol. i have
yes, things smaller than an atom include the parts of said atom (proton, neutron, electron), and parts smaller than an electron include objects called quarks
Originally Posted by lewisb13
Yeah they already have cars that run on hydrogen. You put water in the gas tank (H2O) and you split the hydrogen ion and oxygen atom and you release the oxygen and burn the hydrogen. This process is VERY volatile which is why we dont see it on the domestic market yet....
..i hate to tell you...but it requires electricity to break apart 2H and O...the engine you are talking about would effectively be an electric powered car, only it powers the breakdown of H2O and burns the H, which again would only turn about 30% of the heat energy released into motion

congradulations, you just invented an engine that has an upkeep cost of an electric engine + a water bill and is 70% less efficient

this is why we use a tank of hydrogen to mix with oxygen and generate electricity...the opposite chemical process you specified, which leaves H2O as the only pollutant

On another note. it would be neat to see wind power put to use in our cars. I mean, we got all this air flowing to the car anyways, might as well throw a propeller or two under the hood. if a propeller powered all the accessories (electronics) when the car was in motion, like the alternator and what not. we would instantly have more powerful and fuel efficient cars, if our engine only had 1 job..put power to the wheels.

it would be like having super underdrive pulleys
having propellors on your car to power the electronics wouldnt save any power at all. the loss in momentum caused by increasing wind resistance (aka drag) would be directly proportional to the power generated

an example: if you had 2 identical cars...one stock, one with this propellor system, and they both held the throttle at 50%, they would travel at the same speed.
the propellor car would get more HP to the wheels as the alternator is now being driven by wind forces, but that extra power gained would just be used to push a less aerodynamically efficient car at the same speed.

@ earlier....there is a developing technology that changes H2) into HOH, which is then burned, creating H2O as the exhaust....
this is currently being looked into by the military
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX6CnNc3CFU

Last edited by HunterKiller89; 09-15-2007 at 05:51 AM.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
lol...yes we can see atoms...we can see electrons, which are 1/10000 the size of the atoms a whole....even smaller actually....its called an electron microscope.....although ive read that larger atoms just look like fuzzy blobs

do you know what dark matter is? beause i doubt theres any way to harness power from it if it does exist

yes, things smaller than an atom include the parts of said atom (proton, neutron, electron), and parts smaller than an electron include objects called quarks

..i hate to tell you...but it requires electricity to break apart 2H and O...the engine you are talking about would effectively be an electric powered car, only it powers the breakdown of H2O and burns the H, which again would only turn about 30% of the heat energy released into motion

congradulations, you just invented an engine that has an upkeep cost of an electric engine + a water bill and is 70% less efficient

this is why we use a tank of hydrogen to mix with oxygen and generate electricity...the opposite chemical process you specified, which leaves H2O as the only pollutant

having propellors on your car to power the electronics wouldnt save any power at all. the loss in momentum caused by increasing wind resistance (aka drag) would be directly proportional to the power generated

an example: if you had 2 identical cars...one stock, one with this propellor system, and they both held the throttle at 50%, they would travel at the same speed.
the propellor car would get more HP to the wheels as the alternator is now being driven by wind forces, but that extra power gained would just be used to push a less aerodynamically efficient car at the same speed.

@ earlier....there is a developing technology that changes H2) into HOH, which is then burned, creating H2O as the exhaust....
this is currently being looked into by the military
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX6CnNc3CFU

very good my young padawan learner.

ryan. lol
Old 09-15-2007, 05:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
very good my young padawan learner.

ryan. lol
hahah. something tells me that im the jedi master and your MY padawan...lol
this is def a fun thread tho
Old 09-15-2007, 05:23 PM
Banned

hahah. something tells me that im the jedi master and your MY padawan...lol
this is def a fun thread tho
yeah doubtful. anywhos s very very good. nontheless. my dad knows about the bourke enignes and theres another similar engine kinda around the same era different style but low output.

the only thing with the bourke engine i think it had like 15.1 compression. and burned like something like 30 octane fuel. i mean it literally burned like oil and used oil for the moving parts.

it wasnt very good. but good for generative properties. if you hook up a electrical alternator or motor to that thats basically what that engine was for. never for car intended use not fesable in anyway.

i know theres alot more different types of engines and types of fuels used i just cant remember them all.

like its weird i really didnt know that the new chevy colorados had 5 cylinders thats kinda odd i think there inline 5's with a rwd i never heard of 5 cylinders. good power for it though.

ryan. like i know cadilac had a v16 in the early 60s very huge engine kinda unpopular but if you went to the car show about 4 years ago maybe 5 they had that dodge tomahawk motorcycle and that prototype v16 car with like 800 hp lol.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:54 PM

the only thing with the bourke engine i think it had like 15.1 compression. and burned like something like 30 octane fuel. i mean it literally burned like oil and used oil for the moving parts.
sounds familiar to my 15yr old cousin.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Novajoe
sounds familiar to my 15yr old cousin.
why is that lol.

ryan.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:59 PM

why is that lol.

ryan.
she says like all the time too.

anyway sry for the random comment... back to you regularly scheduled programming
Old 09-15-2007, 06:23 PM

the propellor car would get more HP to the wheels as the alternator is now being driven by wind forces, but that extra power gained would just be used to push a less aerodynamically efficient car at the same speed

No no no. im saying keep them in the engine bay. where air rushing in would normally cause drag anyways, but it to use...like a couple extra radiator fans.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:46 PM
Banned

No no no. im saying keep them in the engine bay. where air rushing in would normally cause drag anyways, but it to use...like a couple extra radiator fans.
yeah its kinda like a turbine car. but theres lots of drag. components that cause drag wheels. aerdynamics of car etc...

so your saying when the car goes faster it would produce more power but yet more drag aswell. yeilding overall nothing gains.

ryan.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:07 PM

been done(by me)

its 100% allready been done. i made a hydrogen booster for my 96 malibu a few months ago and gained 6mpg. didnt have it dyno tested because the car is a peice of ****(that being why im experimenting on it not my balt.) its worked good so far and im starting another one for my 2.4l ss. the hydrogen cell pumps out 7.2liters of hydrogen per minute and feeds into the air intake. i have a circuit i made to fool the air sensor so the car wont read that its getting less air so it pumps less fuel into the engine. that fuel is replaced by the hydrogen being sucked in through the air intake and sense hydrogen burns hotter then gasoline i get a more complete burn from the gas that is being used. So better MPG and some more HP to boot. just have to put some water in the cell each time i fill the gas tank.
Old 07-13-2008, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Detrinova
its 100% allready been done. i made a hydrogen booster for my 96 malibu a few months ago and gained 6mpg. didnt have it dyno tested because the car is a peice of ****(that being why im experimenting on it not my balt.) its worked good so far and im starting another one for my 2.4l ss. the hydrogen cell pumps out 7.2liters of hydrogen per minute and feeds into the air intake. i have a circuit i made to fool the air sensor so the car wont read that its getting less air so it pumps less fuel into the engine. that fuel is replaced by the hydrogen being sucked in through the air intake and sense hydrogen burns hotter then gasoline i get a more complete burn from the gas that is being used. So better MPG and some more HP to boot. just have to put some water in the cell each time i fill the gas tank.

Prepare to get laughed at.... or at least cause another debate.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:06 PM

refer to the HHO thread. lol