Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL Maven ... You just PWNED that post

haha .. Maven FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-06-2008, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Greased
take out your engine, replace with bigger engine.

heres what you would need to do IF you wanted to do this
INSANE compression sumting like 14:1 (jk)
cyro'd block
ported head
rods/pistons/headgasket/studs sleeves
stroker kit
ported intake manifold
race gas
entire valvetrain upgrade
injectors
custom tuning
oh
but you wont have any traction so
new tires
and new axles to handle the new tires
and then a new clutch

hmm... probably like 15,000 dollars
haah!
thats a joke!
now youre looking at a non street-legal car!!!
haah!
Old 10-06-2008, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Maven
If you cant have it ported, get it ported? Could you elaborate on this?

what kind of numbers are you contemplating for valve lift? because if you get into truly high lift and youll need to run serious springs, possibly get springs seat machine work and youll start approaching the area where solid lash adjusters are used. 264 ot thereabouts? I can only surmise that you must be talking about 264 advertised duration as 264 @ lash would be insane, that said a 264advertised cam is still a really serious piece, and not what most people would consider streetable, 264 is what the Comp STGIII intake cam is advertised as. Like I said, not really a street friendl cam

In a lot of ways? really? I am pretty sure it would only reduce in two ways, and that would the same way all cams bleed compression, by leaving the intake valve open into the compression stroke, and opening the exhaust valve during the power stroke. Would you care to detail any of the other ways the cams ou recommend would bleed dynamic compression??

I am very interested to know what formulae and criterion youve used to determine runner length, and cross section diameter. Would you care to offer further details regarding plenum volume and ideal TB placement in order to achieve our goals?

I was wondering what youve estimated the BMEP to be for this combination......
pedantic, look it up.

anyways what is BMEP again?
brake mean effective pressure? or am i just making up stuff
Old 10-07-2008, 10:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
pedantic, look it up.
Pedantic, no. I think details are essential when you bust out a comment like "reduce the runner length to about 5 inches at 1.65 inches". Pedantic, absolutely not. Arguably bombastic, and most likely a bit prolixious(look them up),.... Perhaps I should have just said "how the hell did you come up with that?"

anyways what is BMEP again?
brake mean effective pressure?
Yup.

Last edited by Maven; 10-07-2008 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Maven
Pedantic, no. I think details are essential when you bust out a comment like "reduce the runner length to about 5 inches at 1.65 inches". Pedantic, absolutely not. Arguably bombastic, and most likely a bit prolixious(look them up),.... Perhaps I should have just said "how the hell did you come up with that?"

Yup.
troof

l agree with what your saying for sure

but i think hes on the right track, you want shorter runners for more hp with bigger inlets makes the engine more efficient at higher rpms

idk... my basic knowledge of intakes says if you want big hp make short, big, not complicated runners.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:57 PM

troof

l agree with what your saying for sure

but i think hes on the right track, you want shorter runners for more hp with bigger inlets makes the engine more efficient at higher rpms

idk... my basic knowledge of intakes says if you want big hp make short, big, not complicated runners.
Yeah but intakes need to have a certain volume of air to feed from and prefer a certain length runner for any given desired powerband.

5" runners are REALLY short for a street engine. Ask anyone who has ever run the Saab LK9 manifold, Hahn Port fueler manifold, or any other similar style short runner intake, they SUCK on the street, you absolutely lose all low end and midrange power. A key thing to keep in mind is that we have 86mm x 94.6mm cylinders, and this guy is recommending a 127mm x 41.9mm inlet to this cylinder. So your trying to fill a cylinder with 549cc capacity, thru a tube with a 175cc capacity. Now obviously I am leaving out a lot of the science here, but its pretty easy to see that in order to get a complete fill you need the intake to fill and empty over 3 times to get a full cylinder...... Not gonna hapen at reasonable speeds(under about 8000rpm)

All you need on the street is the LE5 manifold. Any shorter runners and you start to drastically alter the low/mid power output with only minimal top end gains(remember its the cams that ultimately decide how much air and at what rpm the engine uses)
Old 10-07-2008, 11:10 PM

I just saw this thread i was thinking to myself y only 200 whp? why not more?
Old 10-07-2008, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by CobaltLs_14
Just a number I picked...nice and even is all
Old 10-08-2008, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by jlmd
Just a number I picked...nice and even is all
oh ok haha thats cool...
Like u i'm also at the point where i wanna go na or turbo but either way i want 280 to the wheels...
Old 10-08-2008, 07:22 AM

its gonna be difficult as is to get 200 whp n/a

oh ok haha thats cool...
Like u i'm also at the point where i wanna go na or turbo but either way i want 280 to the wheels...
ok, i was skeptical with 200 whp n/a

to get 280 to the wheels with your car n/a you might as well dedicate it a drag only car... and drop in a new engine.

Last edited by Greased; 10-08-2008 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-08-2008, 08:34 AM

to get 280 to the wheels with your car n/a you might as well dedicate it a drag only car... and drop in a new engine.
Yeah, 280 to the wheels NA, is gonna be pretty much impossible on pump street gas.

And even with some 100 octane your running right near the ragged edge of whats possible.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:58 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
oh ok haha thats cool...
Yeah, 310 at the crank on a NA 4 cylinder is really pushing it. Alot of people don't realize the work, money and time needed to get a *FI* 4 cylinder up to those kinds of numbers (at least if you want to do it safely and get to run the car more then 2 or 3 times... lol).
Old 10-08-2008, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by rnjmur
Alot of people don't realize the work, money and time needed to get a *FI* 4 cylinder up to those kinds of numbers (at least if you want to do it safely and get to run the car more then 2 or 3 times... lol).
for you...buy TVS, 60# injectors, tune...

done.