2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

I'm New to Cars and want to learn about them

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm New to Cars and want to learn about them

Like I said Im new to cars I just got my 09 Cobalt LS (stick shift)about 2 months ago I want to learn more about cars and how they work and all that fun stuff as I love cars and now that I have one of my own I figured what better time to start tinkering. Does anyone know of any basic tuning that could be done for a simple beginner like myself(preferably a cheap one too) or if you could throw any useful advice my way about owning a car anything and everything is appreciated from what gear I should be in driving 40MPH to how to install aftermarket parts thanks
Old 10-06-2008, 09:30 PM

Change the oil, check the tires and don't talk on your cell while driving. :O)
Old 10-06-2008, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by JimzSS
Change the oil, check the tires and don't talk on your cell while driving. :O)
smart ass

thats what the oil life % is for and the tpms
Old 10-06-2008, 09:40 PM

before you start modding the car learn everything about it. make sure you know what does what and what works with what. what do you plan on doing with the car? do you wanna drag race it auto cross it, make it look cool and sound big, show it, it all depends on what you want out of it to determine what to do to it. anything is possible. and with a little help on here you can learn most of it.

best advice i can give is learn how to drive the car first
Old 10-06-2008, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by freakta
before you start modding the car learn everything about it. make sure you know what does what and what works with what. what do you plan on doing with the car? do you wanna drag race it auto cross it, make it look cool and sound big, show it, it all depends on what you want out of it to determine what to do to it. anything is possible. and with a little help on here you can learn most of it.

best advice i can give is learn how to drive the car first
auto x is real racing!!!!!!!1
Old 10-06-2008, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Blaze1073
Like I said Im new to cars I just got my 09 Cobalt LS (stick shift)about 2 months ago I want to learn more about cars and how they work and all that fun stuff as I love cars and now that I have one of my own I figured what better time to start tinkering. Does anyone know of any basic tuning that could be done for a simple beginner like myself(preferably a cheap one too) or if you could throw any useful advice my way about owning a car anything and everything is appreciated from what gear I should be in driving 40MPH to how to install aftermarket parts thanks
I would start buy buying a "how cars work" book and a general cobalt repair manual; read them, look at diagrams, ect to get a feel for what the parts in a car actually do, and how they relate to one another to work as a system. Cheap tuning does not exist, unless you do it yourself (thats could be considered advanced). Once you buy the equipment you can tune as many times as you want for free. But I wont get into any of that. Sorry to ramble.

btw 3rd gear is a good gear for cruising at 40 MPH
Old 10-06-2008, 09:58 PM

I like to sit in 4th gear when cruising around 40mph just to save a little gas. Anything helps these days especially when you use premium fuel.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:28 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lets back up a bit start more simply. Have you ever turned a screw driver before? Dumb question? Maybe, but if you haven't, then it's not so dumb. My point is, what mechanical experience or training have you had so far? Have you ever taken apart an engine? Do you know what the 4 stroke cycle is? Have you ever built a remote control car? Tell us what we are starting with here.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:18 PM

someone should make a 2 stroke turbo diesel
Old 10-06-2008, 11:23 PM

the best tip i can give you is...

if you have the space and the means/tools, go pick up a cheap ass poor excuse for an engine at the junk yard or tear one out of that old tractor of your dads or something and just tear it down. take it apart, look at everything, learn what all the parts are called and what they do, then try to assemble it again. No matter what you will gain a better understanding for the internal combustion engine than most people and you will probably have fun.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:14 AM

first tip: use the search button.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Brenden Griswold
first tip: use the search button.
and it starts, you'll hear that alot.

But seriously, this is a good way to start, ask questions. There are some assclowns on here, but there are also alot more respectable members that will answer your questions. Oh and if ask something, and if someone responds, try to answer back
Old 10-07-2008, 12:38 AM

Kk heres some advice

1. dont post questions about mods that you arent educated on ie. "Im thinking of going turbo what parts do i need?"
members are much more likely to help if you seem like you have tried to educate yourself
none of us like explaining how a turbo works to someone that wants to put one on their car
2. read some books! honestly if your into cars go to Barnes & Noble and look for some new car books a favorite publisher of mine is Motorbooks workshop
3. Start with basic mods, intake, exhaust, headers, stuff you can do yourself. I find it a lot of fun to do this hands on
4. read some of the threads about the big builds (victory red SS, Blown 4 banger) they have a lot of good information in them

just a few things i could think of off the top of my head but thats what helped me to learn about my car.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:44 AM
Jn2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i agree with getting the cobalt complete tear down book...i still need to get my hands on one of those :p but start small...move into big things...
Old 10-07-2008, 01:47 AM

Hit up the how to section and go nuts..
Old 10-07-2008, 03:52 AM

Yeah, how to section is great. Basically, get yourself a set of metric sockets and a ratchet and you can basically do anything you want to this car. I would suggest learning how the engine works before trying to tinker with anything.

4 basic strokes to an engine: Suck squish bang blow

Engine sucks in fresh air, compresses it, fuel is added at just the right mixture and spark plug causes combustion within the cylinder which turns the piston, and the exhaust from the process goes shooting out the other side.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-stroke_engine

After you get the basics, it's really not hard to just get in there and start adding parts. The only thing it hurts is your wallet. Trust me, if you like your money, pick another hobby. Because this is one of the most expensive hobbies on earth.

Welcome and good luck.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:35 PM

Hey! im not being an *******. That was the first thing I learned when I got here
Old 10-07-2008, 03:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2009's have the 2.2L LAP, not the L61.

read, read, read......

40mph=4th gear
Old 10-07-2008, 03:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nikebaseballx00
smart ass

thats what the oil life % is for and the tpms
I REALLY hope you're joking. Regardless, I fear for a (not so distant) future where regulations require so many "dummy" systems that people stop relying on themselves for basic safety checks and maintenance.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by freakta
someone should make a 2 stroke turbo diesel
Someone already does, theyre called "Detroit Diesel"

Theres quite a few 2 troke turbo diesels

Originally Posted by alleycat58
I REALLY hope you're joking. Regardless, I fear for a (not so distant) future where regulations require so many "dummy" systems that people stop relying on themselves for basic safety checks and maintenance.
I think the TPMS system is great, and dont worry, it only works if you use it. You can still be a complete ******* and ignore it or not understand its simple operation.

I get people on a regular basis(at least 5 a week) that come in complaining that the "low tire light" is on. First thing I ask is if it says "check tire pressure" or "service tire pressure system" 95% of the time I get "I dont know, whats the difference" The second thing I ask is if they put air in their tires. Again about 90% of the time I get a "No" along with a "why would I?" look. So I bring it in, set their tire pressure to spec(80% of the time its just low, not leaking) and reset the tire monitor. I give back the keys, and get "well, what was wrong with it?" Well.....nothing, youre a *******, put air in your tires.

Until the TPMS system puts vehicles into limp mode, it will be worthless in getting the people who need it most to actually check their pressures

Last edited by Maven; 10-07-2008 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-07-2008, 04:49 PM

Im in the same boat as you. I dont know alot about cars but have always loved them. as a kid i put together models took tractors apart, made them faster. I've installed exhausts and put new jets in the carberator on 4-weelers, all with a little help. ive had my first car for about 5 months and i could say ive learned alot.

My advise would be try and figure everything out on your own. You will learn more. If your stuck on something think it over dont just go on css.net and say I CANT DO THIS!!

Ihope that helps
Old 10-07-2008, 06:49 PM

thanks everyone I guess I should try and figure out more about engines and stuff before I start doing stuff

I have some mechanical experience very basic though yes I have turned a screwdriver my dad has a bunch of tools and when he yells I brought the wrong tool you sorta catch on quickly whats what

I'll look into getting some books Idk when I'll have time to read em though with all this school work grr...

thanks all
Old 10-07-2008, 06:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cakeeater
the best tip i can give you is...

if you have the space and the means/tools, go pick up a cheap ass poor excuse for an engine at the junk yard or tear one out of that old tractor of your dads or something and just tear it down. take it apart, look at everything, learn what all the parts are called and what they do, then try to assemble it again. No matter what you will gain a better understanding for the internal combustion engine than most people and you will probably have fun.
having just recently done this with my first engine.....
i can wholeheartedly agree.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by an0malous
having just recently done this with my first engine.....
i can wholeheartedly agree.
it really is the way to do it. I would recommend this for ANYONE, not just newbies, that hasn't torn down an entire engine before. The experience will be invaluable if you ever decide to do a big build or diagnose a problem.