2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

injen short ram VS. cold air

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
injen short ram VS. cold air

ok every 2.2L out there running the injen let me know what you have had better luck with,running the short ram or the cold air. I have tried both and cant really tell what i like the best. I did notice the short ram has a quicker throttle responce and my exhaust is alot louder with it.......and the cold air i didnt really notice anything...the only thing i did notice is the intake has been on the car for 12k miles and i took it of to clean it today and it was clean as hell......so give your feedback lets see what everybody out there thinks
Old 07-19-2006, 03:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bro honestly the responses you get here will be 50/50.
Technicaly speaking you should go with a cold air intake.
Very simple : More cool air = More power. Not more hot air.
The throttle response doesn't matter once that warm air gets to the motor.
It's all about cooling the air. Hence intercoolers for turbos and sc's
Old 07-19-2006, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by CTCOBALTSSS
Bro honestly the responses you get here will be 50/50.
Technicaly speaking you should go with a cold air intake.
Very simple : More cool air = More power. Not more hot air.
The throttle response doesn't matter once that warm air gets to the motor.
It's all about cooling the air. Hence intercoolers for turbos and sc's
Exactly...thats why i went w/ cold air....cooler is better
Old 07-19-2006, 04:03 PM

I wonder how much "cooler" the air really is by having an additional foot or so of piping. The air near the asphalt is pretty warm also. Just a thought.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by YoAdrian
I wonder how much "cooler" the air really is by having an additional foot or so of piping. The air near the asphalt is pretty warm also. Just a thought.
thank you.....thats my point.....I have the gravana versus front end and that bumper has those two huge intake vents so even if i run the short ram the cooler air is making its way to the filter because when you look down the hole the air will travel up the side wall rite up thru the passege way rite to the intake........plus here in bakersfield when its 108 out side im pretty sure the asphalt is close to 150-180 so how cold is that air?
Old 07-19-2006, 04:24 PM

WHAT?

It's not about having an extra foot of pipe it's about the location in wich the air comes from and it's temperature.
Air coming from the engine bay is very hot.
Air coming from the wheel well is a lot cooler.

Are you telling me that the air inside your wheel well is the same temp as the engine bay? No.

Asphalt has nothing to do with a CAI.

I don't care what anyone says.

Colder Air = More Power!
Old 07-19-2006, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by CTCOBALTSSS
WHAT?

It's not about having an extra foot of pipe it's about the location in wich the air comes from and it's temperature.
Air coming from the engine bay is very hot.
Air coming from the wheel well is a lot cooler.
Asphalt has nothing to do with a CAI.
I realize this. However, how much cooler is the air near hot asphalt than the air a foot above it. I am just trying to figure out how much cooler it would be.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:34 PM

I realize this. However, how much cooler is the air near hot asphalt than the air a foot above it. I am just trying to figure out how much cooler it would be.
Dude what are you talking about bro?
What does asphalt have to do with a CAI?

The cone of the CAI is surrounded by your wheel well cover.
It isn't even exposed to asphalt in any way shape or form. It's covered.
So asphalt heat doesn't touch the cone wich is where the air begins to enter the intake.
However if you have a short ram engines heat does surround the cone and that's not good.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:35 PM

Is it not closer to the asphalt than the short ram?
Old 07-19-2006, 04:36 PM

Is it not closer to the asphalt than the short ram?
Read what I wrote! The cone is surrounded by your plastic wheel well. Not exposed to asphalt at all.
I'm done going back and forth on this subject.
I know CAI's produce more power and that's it. I have seen it on dynos.
Good luck with your purchase primetime.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:40 PM

Calm down there buddy.

I am pretty sure that the cone would still be close enough to the asphalt to be subjected to it's high temperature. I am not trying to start **** man.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:42 PM

Calm down there buddy.

I am pretty sure that the cone would still be close enough to the asphalt to be subjected to it's high temperature. I am not trying to start **** man.
It's all good YoAdrian, I know you're a cool dude. My bad for sounding mad.
I just know what i'm talking about in this case. That's all.
To each their own right. Later bro.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:08 PM

like i said its been on the car for 12k miles already so im not purchasing one, i already have it.... the injen cai can go both way short ram or cai.......and i have seen a car go both ways on a dyno and the short ram produced 1-2hp more then the cold air and the way my car is set up the short ram is getting the same air as the cold air....i just took the car down the street and i not only heard but also felt the difference between the two.....so while the cold air looks better i think im gonna stick with the short ram for a while....what i was looking for was feedback from other people who might have tried both set ups on the same car to see what their results were, match up feedback to see what they thaught not what somebody read in a magazine....thats all i was tryin to do didnt want a war to break out
Old 07-19-2006, 07:52 PM

two words heat soak cai is the way to go your gonna get the same hp either way but witht the cai you get the power at the top of the power band and short ram will give the power closer to the bottom of the powerband but with the sri heat soak is always a problem
Old 07-19-2006, 08:24 PM

I use CIA all year round except for in the winter. I will convert the injen to SRI when winter comes around just cuz it snows alot here in michigan and dont want to get it full of snow and salt and everything else they use on the roads in the winter.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by biniecki
I use CIA all year round except for in the winter. I will convert the injen to SRI when winter comes around just cuz it snows alot here in michigan and dont want to get it full of snow and salt and everything else they use on the roads in the winter.
THANK YOU.....a real reply from someone with the damn intake you are my hereo....and do you notice a difference between the two?
Old 07-19-2006, 11:54 PM

performance wise i cant tell the difference, however the sri makes the car sound a little more agressive. Its just louder with the SRI than the CAI
Old 07-20-2006, 10:28 PM

I have an injen and have it set up as a CAI. I'm not gonna get into CAI vs. SRI......pointless! I agree, when winter comes, I'd rather be sucking in the "warmer air" to keep my engine warm vs. sucking in cold (very cold at time, MN).

I've had it installed as CAI sine the day I put it in. It's louder than stock, and I can notice a slight boost in performance. SRI I can't help!
Old 07-20-2006, 11:13 PM

that may be true but when you are traveling at 50+ mph the wind puts in the wind chill factor, id rather suck in 90 degree air vs the 189+ degree air that your short ram filter is sucking in sitting about 4 inches from the block. and for those of you with nitrous purge valves, you can have your purge valve point at the CAI tubing and make the tubes colder = colder air in the intake. just a thought
Old 07-20-2006, 11:44 PM

if you're gonna be paying $230 for an intake might as well use the entire thing.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:09 AM

If it means anything from my experence with both setups....i noticed a lot of head soak with the short ram set up...i liked the way the cia sounded and the way it made the throttle feel
Old 07-21-2006, 12:13 AM

One more thing is that you dont have to take off your front bumper....i was able to install the cia by just taking out the wheel well
Old 07-21-2006, 02:18 AM

I have the injen CAI and all I know is after a hot day of driving around the air inlet tube with the cold air section on is really cold compared to the short ram which you can barely touch.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:29 AM

i have mine set up as short ram, and i havent tried it as cold air yet, but the other day after driving for a while in 100 degree weather i couldnt even touch the tubing it was so hot so i will be switching to cold air soon
Old 07-21-2006, 04:51 AM
Banned

best of both worlds get a ram air and either custom fiberglass a scooop for it or if it is close to your headlight remove it.

Quick Reply: injen short ram VS. cold air