2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

I've been paitent...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 09:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been paitent...

I've been waiting paitently and quietly like all the other 2.2 owners, but I'm tired of it. WHERE IS MY TUNING SOFTWARE. The 2.0, 2.4 and 07 2.2 all have it, I understand that we have a diffenert pcm/ecu, but come on this is taking forever. I have all this money saved to do an all motor build with spray, but nothing to tune it. This thing will be a sleeping dragon, when I'm done.

Please some one enlighten me, on when we might see some software.
/rant
Old 12-12-2006, 10:26 AM

Word, people should stop worrying about Turbos, and start making some goddamn tuning threads

I propose a strike and an online petition
Old 12-12-2006, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i agree but this isnt going to speed them up any
Old 12-12-2006, 12:58 PM

I'd love to see tuning. That's all I want right now. Screw turbos and supers; I just want to tune my car until I can afford cams and pistons and connecting rods.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:03 PM

I want tuning suppourt as well for the 2.2's so I can tune my bro's car
Old 12-12-2006, 01:08 PM

http://www.umiracing.com/gallery/Images/Catalog.pdf
A reasonable option.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:10 PM

yeah I want them to open the 2.2 so My income would increase.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:11 PM

What kinda of numbers would be possible with tuning?? I know the chips for VW's only added like 6-8 HP....I cant imagine spending a few hundred dollars for that little bit of power.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by dedecv3
What kinda of numbers would be possible with tuning?? I know the chips for VW's only added like 6-8 HP....I cant imagine spending a few hundred dollars for that little bit of power.
It makes other major upgrades possible. Once the computer is tunable, we can add on stuff like stage 3 cams and turbos and everything else. Tuning alone can provide a few horses but the main advantage of tuning is the ability to calibrate the engine to major upgrades.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by dedecv3
Its mainly used to adjust fueling or ignition parameters to support aftermarket upgrades of power adders (turbo, blower, change in wastegate settings/blower pulley swap) or to an ignition map for higher octane gas. Just a few examples.

As for the VW guys, their pcm upgrades yield substanital results in performance mainly because the pcm indirectly acts as a boost controller through whats called an "N75" valve. Aftermarket pcm upgrades for them allow higher boost levels and a large increase in torque and horsepower.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:25 PM

Yeah, the most you will probably see is 10 whp probably on a stock 2.2....I wonder how high of a rev the stock 2.2 valvtrain can handle? Anyone know?
Old 12-12-2006, 01:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
not much higher than the stock redline, but all you need are some neutral shafts and a valve kit and your good for 8-10kRPMs dependin on the kits...course our current cams stop building power at like 6300RPMs, so to make that new redline worthwhile you'd need some new cams
Old 12-12-2006, 01:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Witt
..anyone else have something to say about this? seems like the answer...so how come no ones been usin it?
Old 12-12-2006, 01:37 PM

As for the VW guys, their pcm upgrades yield substanital results in performance mainly because the pcm indirectly acts as a boost controller through whats called an "N75" valve. Aftermarket pcm upgrades for them allow higher boost levels and a large increase in torque and horsepower.
I was referring to the VR6 and other naturally aspirated VW motors. I had a chipped 1.8T and the results were substantial but the same $800 chip for the VR6 barely increased power. I just cant see spending that kind of money for only a few HP but if you are looking to do other mods that need tuning then that is another situation.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
..anyone else have something to say about this? seems like the answer...so how come no ones been usin it?
I would call them first and find out if they support the can bus protocol to allow the EMS to communicate with the BCM. All signs says it does, as they claim a street legal vehicle out of it, but I wouldn't purchase it until being sure.

I'm sure there are people using it, just not on these forums.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:41 PM

I just have the ***** of it When spring comes around Im trading my LT in for a ss/sc. I have $5000 ready for the down payment and Im making 3 payments a mounth so when I take it in I dont own money when a trade it in. So bye 2.2 and here comes the ss/sc
Old 12-12-2006, 01:56 PM
Banned

I've seen many threads bitching about this. It dosent help anything but stir up crap. HPT only has one guy (ONE!) that cracks the pcm's, thats why its taking so long. So please, STOP BITCHING ABOUT TUNING.

And I wouldn't trust any send in PCM tunes. Theres also been a few companies claiming to tune the 2.2 yet no seen sucess.

Hackabuse did you ever get a reply from the company you emailed?
Old 12-12-2006, 02:01 PM

I would call them first and find out if they support the can bus protocol to allow the EMS to communicate with the BCM. All signs says it does, as they claim a street legal vehicle out of it, but I wouldn't purchase it until being sure.

I'm sure there are people using it, just not on these forums.
I'm emailing them to ask what EXACTLY their kit can do. If it can tune for boost I may be in. I'll post their response.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to be a negative nancy but why are you complaining?

Seriously, you should anticipated this. You have the lowest model vehicle, you think that a company like HP Tuners is going to dish out money to the people who couldn't afford (for the most part) an SS/SC or even an SS? No. They are going where the money is.

You have a car that is about 2 years old and has computer differences in between. You do not own an import so in most cases, you're not on the top priority list.

Do you think decoding an OBDII computer is easy? If so, then you do it. Till you actually can, don't bitch about the people who are atleast ATTEMPTING to give you something. Be thankful that a company like HP Tuners is going out of their way to do this for your vehicle cause years ago, there was NOTHING for domestic 4 cylinder vehicles.

And if there was HP Tuners out and you bought it, then what? You have 4 grand laying around for a turbo setup? What do you need tuning support right now for? I can understand someone like Halfcent who has finished his engine and transmission and is just waiting for it to come out so he can begin his turbo setup but I can honestly bet you have nothing more than an intake or exhaust upgrade.

Sorry if this sounds mean but I'm being honest. People like knowing what is available but to be honest, how many people are really looking to make their base model Cobalt into some 300 HP track monster? Ok, maybe some but how many are really GOING TO make their car into a 300 HP track monster? That's the question to ask.

I think right now, you guys need to read more on how HP Tuners works so you don't **** up your computer in the first place and buy some books on how Engine Management systems work in general so you don't plug this **** into your computer and no longer have a working vehicle.

This is my honest opinion on the subject, sorry if it sounds mean but I'm being realistic.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NJHK
Sorry to be a negative nancy but why are you complaining?

Seriously, you should anticipated this. You have the lowest model vehicle, you think that a company like HP Tuners is going to dish out money to the people who couldn't afford (for the most part) an SS/SC or even an SS? No. They are going where the money is.

You have a car that is about 2 years old and has computer differences in between. You do not own an import so in most cases, you're not on the top priority list.

Do you think decoding an OBDII computer is easy? If so, then you do it. Till you actually can, don't bitch about the people who are atleast ATTEMPTING to give you something. Be thankful that a company like HP Tuners is going out of their way to do this for your vehicle cause years ago, there was NOTHING for domestic 4 cylinder vehicles.

And if there was HP Tuners out and you bought it, then what? You have 4 grand laying around for a turbo setup? What do you need tuning support right now for? I can understand someone like Halfcent who has finished his engine and transmission and is just waiting for it to come out so he can begin his turbo setup but I can honestly bet you have nothing more than an intake or exhaust upgrade.

Sorry if this sounds mean but I'm being honest. People like knowing what is available but to be honest, how many people are really looking to make their base model Cobalt into some 300 HP track monster? Ok, maybe some but how many are really GOING TO make their car into a 300 HP track monster? That's the question to ask.

I think right now, you guys need to read more on how HP Tuners works so you don't **** up your computer in the first place and buy some books on how Engine Management systems work in general so you don't plug this **** into your computer and no longer have a working vehicle.

This is my honest opinion on the subject, sorry if it sounds mean but I'm being realistic.
Agreed times a billion. And for once I wasnt the meanest one
Old 12-12-2006, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by rallyyellow06
Agreed times a billion. And for once I wasnt the meanest one
LOL I thought I'd help you out this time...how about that?

Nah but seriously, this is how I honestly feel. People need to stop thinking more of "I want now" buyer point of view and think about the "seller" point of view...HP Tuners is a company, not some guy in his basement making software for tuners.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:12 PM

I agree with NJHK. Now that the 2007 2.2's have a different computer, that means that the tune we would need would only affect two model years worth of domestic 4 cylinder cars, and the only people buying the tune would be people who are modding their 2.2 which is likely a low number. Think about it, of course most of the 2.2 owners are here are into modding that's why they're on CSS.net, but compared to 2.2 Cobalt owners as a whole, we're a small minority. If/when tuning becomes available we should be grateful for it.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by tonio5555
I agree with NJHK. Now that the 2007 2.2's have a different computer, that means that the tune we would need would only affect two model years worth of domestic 4 cylinder cars, and the only people buying the tune would be people who are modding their 2.2 which is likely a low number. Think about it, of course most of the 2.2 owners are here are into modding that's why they're on CSS.net, but compared to 2.2 Cobalt owners as a whole, we're a small minority. If/when tuning becomes available we should be grateful for it.
Exactly.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:14 PM

Tuning = Good
Waiting = BAD
Old 12-12-2006, 06:20 PM

I'm with NJHK. I have no money to buy major upgrades right now. Eventually, I'll be able to afford something big, but I'm not there yet. I am one of those people that will make a fast car.

I also agree with YSUsteven that waiting sucks. We all know that, but this is loads better than having to swap everything. That costs a shitload more than just upgrading parts.