2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

just did it tonight sounds and feels good

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 01:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just did it tonight sounds and feels good

hey guys just want to let u know if u remove the extra dampening off of the air intake to where its just the filter box suckin the air right there the engine after a few minutes puts on a nice roar and feels better i mean u can actually feel the exhaust and air being sucked in and pumped thru the car its a good free mod until u can get a cai sounds good feels good and most importantly hopefully increases ur hp a little this is on the chevy cobalt ls sport coupe now after i removed the extra tubing for the air intake i removed the negative on the battery waited 15 minutes or so to reset the ecu now whenver i started the car back up it kicked twice and then went no problems after that as a matter of fact it was runnin so good lol i got pulled over on the way home just to excited i guess lol
Old 09-30-2005, 01:17 AM

now the pulled over part sucks, but the rest sounds like fun.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:20 AM

um you didn't leave the stock filter did you??? if you did I hope you read this before your next drive ... PUT IT BACK ON ... there is nothing holding the stock filter in place other that a lil friction and force from a person simply stuffing it in there. If you don't want it falling out on a bump and running it over then sucking in dirt straight to your super charger I suggest you follow the airbox mod correctly and buy an after market filter and drill a small hole to hold the filter in place. Please read the airbox mod thread
Old 09-30-2005, 03:32 AM

he did this to a cobalt LS not an ss. no supercharger, also our airl filters are not the cone kind.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:45 AM

yes, i did the project with him and the filter on the 2.2 is very secure and in no way will ever fall off, this a very good mod for free and the car sounds like a beast..i would reccomend this to all the 2.2 people.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:54 AM
Banned

The SS air filter makes a great hat or decorative hair piece when you get a better intake.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:57 AM

just buy an intake :/, if you could afford a new car you can afford an intake
Old 09-30-2005, 08:58 AM

The title of your thread gives a false impression to those with dirty minds like me.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by slvrbalt
hey guys just want to let u know if u remove the extra dampening off of the air intake to where its just the filter box suckin the air right there the engine after a few minutes puts on a nice roar and feels better i mean u can actually feel the exhaust and air being sucked in and pumped thru the car its a good free mod until u can get a cai sounds good feels good and most importantly hopefully increases ur hp a little this is on the chevy cobalt ls sport coupe now after i removed the extra tubing for the air intake i removed the negative on the battery waited 15 minutes or so to reset the ecu now whenver i started the car back up it kicked twice and then went no problems after that as a matter of fact it was runnin so good lol i got pulled over on the way home just to excited i guess lol
I too have an LS Coupe and Ive been meaning to do somethin to the engine to make it sound better (for cheap ), if possible can you include some pics as to how to remove the extra dampening off the air intake I am not very mechanically inclined and well I havent really done much to an engine except add the windshield washer fluid . And will this have any long term effects in the car ?

THX
Old 09-30-2005, 09:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CobaltBurst
just buy an intake :/, if you could afford a new car you can afford an intake
So since I bought a 23,000 car I should be able to easily pay for my wedding coming up the 16th of oct. ? Just becasue you bought a new car doesn't mean you have a money tree stashed away at home.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:06 AM

i most certainly will attempt to get some photos to post however the thing is the airbox is still there however its just u have to take off the wheel and remove the plastice under the wheel weld not all of it either just some of it and unscrew two bolts ull see them actually its a plug and a bolt and the only hard part is pulling the extra filtration out lol a pain in the butt then just hook everything back up and boom u got urself a nice stealth mod lol smiles took not even an hour quick and easy any questions let me know
Old 09-30-2005, 10:13 AM

I think I might try this! I pulled that all out of the wheel well and removed the "extra junk" on it. By that I mean the two big bulky pieces that seem to serve no purpose. I didn't notice any difference and I want to get more sound without having to buy an intake just yet.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by WickedSS2005
So since I bought a 23,000 car I should be able to easily pay for my wedding coming up the 16th of oct. ? Just becasue you bought a new car doesn't mean you have a money tree stashed away at home.
then make your own intake? if you paid 23,000 i hope you got the SS....

noticing that u did i would leave it how it is, why screw with beauty?

Just seems ghetto to me, i mean i did it to my 92 saturn, but it was already ghetto dont go
all honda and start doing cheap mods and showing them off
Old 09-30-2005, 11:08 AM

the airbox mod is well worth the money...its like $30-$60...depending on which filter you get...i havent dont it myself...but im getting around to it
the SS sounds like a BEAST in the video with the airbox mod, and all of the people who have done it all say that the video doesnt do it justice anyway...
well for the SS...im gona do the mod soon...ill post up a video
Old 09-30-2005, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by DanJHartman
the airbox mod is well worth the money...its like $30-$60...depending on which filter you get...i havent dont it myself...but im getting around to it
the SS sounds like a BEAST in the video with the airbox mod, and all of the people who have done it all say that the video doesnt do it justice anyway...
well for the SS...im gona do the mod soon...ill post up a video

Yes we all agree that the airbox mod is well worth it on the ss. This is the 2.2 section. We have a different style airbox and we are looking for input on what might work for us. But thanks!
Old 09-30-2005, 11:38 AM

Correct me if I am wrong, but everything I have read about this on the 2.2, you DONT have to take the wheel off to get at the extra peices? You can just remove that bit of the wheel well and pull the extra stuff out?

Is that right?
Old 09-30-2005, 11:49 AM

u probly could but it would be a pain in the butt another thing i did was remove all that plastic cover over the enigne and the sound stuff on the hood now u really cant tell the real differnce in sound until u hit about 3 and a half thousand rpms but i noticed it not as well as a custom filter but like i said its free and does sound a little better
Old 09-30-2005, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by chipsgt
Correct me if I am wrong, but everything I have read about this on the 2.2, you DONT have to take the wheel off to get at the extra peices? You can just remove that bit of the wheel well and pull the extra stuff out?

Is that right?

That is right, I didn't even take out the wheel well like others have. It was just easier for me to take out the head light and take off the bracket that holds the headlight and then I was right on top of it.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:59 PM

I took the "snorkle" that goes down into the fender well off a bit ago and id does sound alot different. I love it! I have a kenwood 25th anv. deck in my car and it has a G analizer in it. Before I did this my launch G's were only up to .55 at best. Right away after I did this I pulled a .70. I don't know if the added air gave me a little more torque or what but that was proof enough for me. Plus like I said I love the sound of it now!
Old 09-30-2005, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by slowbalt
That is right, I didn't even take out the wheel well like others have. It was just easier for me to take out the head light and take off the bracket that holds the headlight and then I was right on top of it.
Did you have any trouble re-aligning the light? Or does it seat right back into place?
Is there enough room to put on my Cold air extension doing it that way?
Old 09-30-2005, 02:49 PM

i wouldnt recomend taking the light out to do this since i think its much more work than just removing the passenger rim, but whatever works is fine i guess, anyway the car sounds alot meaner with that sound dampening box off and it gained a slight ammount of power all for free, and its very stealthy too
Old 09-30-2005, 03:40 PM

I was just trying to avoid jacking the car up. I guess for no other reason other than sheer laziness, but it sounds like thats the best way to go. I will do that, if for nothing else, to remove the rest of the stock intake.

How does the fender well come out, is it held in by screws or rivets?
Old 09-30-2005, 03:50 PM

Did you have to reset CEL?

I have a 05" LS, if I take off the "snorkel" will I have to reset CEL light?
Old 09-30-2005, 04:53 PM

it has a couple screws and a plug takes like 2 seconds to remove them real easy to remove all u need is a socket wrench and a flathead screwdriver for the plug its just uncomfortable laying on the floor thats the only inconvience lol sorry it takes me so long to respnd im at work and its hard sometimes to post lol
Old 09-30-2005, 04:54 PM

ull want to unhook the batt but just to reset the ecu no problems

Quick Reply: just did it tonight sounds and feels good