2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

just did it tonight sounds and feels good

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had no ecu problems and I don't think anyone will because you are just messing with stuff in front of the factory air box. I didn't rest it and no problem. I found it was way faster and much easier to take out the light because I didn't want to jack the car, take the rim off, and take out about a dozen screws to get the wheel well out. and yes the light just sets back in the correst spot when you screw the bracket and light back in.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:20 AM

thats cool whenever i put the cai on my old car we did it that way and had a lot of problems so we thought it would just be easier to try it this way which it was so i guess whatever works lol but as long as it works u know lol
Old 10-01-2005, 08:36 PM

i just did this today and it has a deeper sound to it...i noticed no noticable hp gains but i like the sound
Old 10-01-2005, 09:54 PM

Its great, my girlfriend even noticed the sound difference. Let me tell you it must be a BIG difference if she could tell. I can't really feel the difference but it does show up a bit on the G-Meter on the deck, maybe just a touch more torque?
Old 10-02-2005, 04:36 PM

I did this too. It does sound better, and possibly a placebo effect, but it seems to have a quicker response also. Does all that crap serve a purpose? Seems like it might keep water and debris out of the filter, oh well.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:53 PM

Okay can somebody explain how to do all of this a little better? Im not the best with cars really. Also some pics would help..thanks
Old 10-02-2005, 07:55 PM

No pics but here you go with a detailed discription. First step is to decide if you are going to remove the wheel well and go from the bottom or remove the passenger headlight and go from the top/front. If you want to go from the bottom then you have to jack up that side of the car (rember to always play it safe and block the tires and put in jack stands in case the car rolls or the jack drops). Once you have the car jacked up you need to take off the wheel. Once the wheel is off take out all of the screws holding in the wheel well. Now you should be able to see inside the fender and see the bottom part, "snorkle", of the intake. I say should because I have never done it this way, I took out the headlight.
To take out the headlight, open the hood, take out some of the black retainers holding in the front bumper. You don't have to do this but it makes it way easier to remove the light when you have some room to pull out on the bumper. Next take out the two screws holding down the light. Pull the light out and unplug it. take out all four screws holding in the headlight bracket and remove this. Now you can see the top side of the "snorkle".
To remove the lower part of the intake you have to unscrew one screw under the "snorkle" towards the front and you have to take out one push in retainer on the bottom of the "snorkle" towards the back of it. Removing this push-in retainer is the only hard part of not removing the wheel well, you have to push in on the wheel well and get your hand and a flat-tip screw driver back to the push in retainer. once you have the retainer and the screw out you should be able to pull down on the "snorkle" to get it out of the upper hose and then take it out of the car. Without removing the wheel well you will have to twist and move the "snorkle" to get it at the right angle to pull it out where your light usually sits.

Sorry this is so long but now nobody will have to ask how to do it. If any of you that have done this want to add tip go ahead. Please don't flame me for spelling or lack of tips, I was just trying to help the guy that wanted a little more help.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:18 PM

After reading this i decided to do the mod. It only took me about 45 min and i went the route of taking off the tire and the wheel well plastic. After driving it i relized that the box was just sucking in warm engine air and that i need to put a hose that went were that large box was. So o went to Autozone and picked up a air duct hose for $10 and put it through the hole and then used the bolt that came off the box and attached it to the same spot now i notice continuous power increase even when the engine is hot. So just a tip for you guys to think about.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by slowbalt
Its great, my girlfriend even noticed the sound difference. Let me tell you it must be a BIG difference if she could tell. I can't really feel the difference but it does show up a bit on the G-Meter on the deck, maybe just a touch more torque?
My girlfriend noticed the sound difference also. I was thinking about running a tube down into the wheel well too. I don't know how much it will help since it is getting cold around here.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:45 AM

there should not be a problem with sucking debri up since the filter or airbox is way up at the top its rained here a couple times since pretty hard i havent noticed any problems
Old 10-03-2005, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by chipsgt
I was just trying to avoid jacking the car up. I guess for no other reason other than sheer laziness, but it sounds like thats the best way to go. I will do that, if for nothing else, to remove the rest of the stock intake.

How does the fender well come out, is it held in by screws or rivets?
Okay, I went ahead and took off the wheel well, I didnt have to take the wheel off either.
There were 8 bolts, little ones, and 9 or 10 of those locking plastic fastners. It took (with improper tools) about an hour start to finish.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:18 PM

this is a very easy mod to do and its always good when its free lol, the cold air shouldnt be an issue since that area is open and some fresh air is still making it to the intake tract but its all good just happy that we can share this with each other and get better sound and maybe a few horses.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:04 PM

yeah, i just did this mod today as well. i was bored so i figured why the hell not and drove home to do it. i'm definitly glad i did it because with normal driving it sounds stock but when you get on the gas it sounds pretty good. i dunno if it's any faster but the sound alone is worth it, and it's free. so i'm happy.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:47 PM

its a nice mod to have until you get a cai
Old 10-10-2005, 03:40 PM
Rad

yeah i did it about a week ago, i dont think its any faster but id does sound alright around 3000 rpms. i took out the headlight and just ripped all that garbage out. it all works the same.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:44 PM

Could someone take a picture of how it looks now??
Old 10-11-2005, 01:08 AM

It's very easy to do... Just take out the headlight and look and it will make sense. Its the large black piece of plastic that attaches to the airbox. The whole thing just pulls off of the airbox (after you take out the one screw and the plasic pin in behind the big "snorkel") I just undid some of the wheel well to get at the pin and pulled it out with pliers

Just did this yesterday and it was well worth the effort. Sounds better for sure and seems to be a little more peppy. I also enjoyed slightly improved gas mileage on my weekly 6 hour journey to work today
Old 10-11-2005, 02:06 PM

I did this the other day!!...I might have gained like a horsepower or something, but the thing that makes me excited, I have much better throttle response !!!!... Thats all I was shooting for so WOOT...What a freaking pain it was, getting that damn second holding pin thing out...Thats what took me so long Once I got it out I threw it on the ground and jumped on it... Then threw it in the trash ....
Old 10-11-2005, 10:39 PM

ya screw that damned holding pin ish... i finally pulled on it so hard it snapped in half so i guess i will not be putting that piece back on...oh well... I just did it yesterday and im soo excited about how it sounds.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:36 AM
Rad

just to let everybody know, i live in canada, and it has rained here for about 5 days since i took the snorkel thing out, and no water got into the engine, the air box was still dry.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:19 PM

has anyone done this free mod on a car with an auto tranny? will it help just as much or is it mainly for those who have a manual tranny?
Old 11-15-2005, 09:55 AM

the first guy who did this has an auto tranny and it works great
Old 11-15-2005, 02:58 PM

I did the Airbox modd about a month ago but this month i got a drop in Kand N filter for the cobalt and guess what?.....after i reset the CEL again i think i gained a bit more power. Also the wraspy sound of the engine is entirly gone. I would recomend the K and N filter if you did this modd on your 2.2.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:03 PM

k and n are good filters i think they give about 2-3 whp
Old 11-17-2005, 08:32 AM

celicacobalt, any pics of your ride? i have the 2.4 victory red as well... i have the high wing already, but haven't got the s/c "body kit". I wanted to see how hard it was to install and also how much you had to pay, if you remember. Your car sounds like it would be awesome. i know i'm loving mine.

Quick Reply: just did it tonight sounds and feels good