2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Is it just me, back me up 2.2 guys...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 02:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by artawesome
we have to face the fact that we are the runts of the lidder! (until our turbo comes out! then big brothers and sisters look out!)
I concur.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think that some of the 2.2 guys make themselves feel inferior rather than other owners making you feel inferior. Everyone wants to show up "The all mighty SS/SC" by building up their 2.2 or 2.4 and beating one of them like its some type of arch-enemy.

What people forget is that you guys all have pretty much the same motor just with some differences. People with 2.2s don't think they have potential to do anything to their motor because they have a base model but then you show them what the J-body guys have done and it suprises them.

I will say this...I am sick of people not having any ***** at attempting anything and everyone comparing their car to the "top" model Cobalt. All I hear is "you put a turbo on a 2.4 and it would kill the 2.0 SS/SC"...with what theory behind it? None. And the people with no ***** say "I can't boost my 2.4 cause it has high compression". There are 2.2 OHV guys in base model cavaliers who have more guts to push 250 HP with 8 valves and pushrods than the 2.4 guys with a better designed and platformed motor.

My complaint with the 2.2 guys is that you always complain that you're broke so you can't do anything but buy an intake or cat-back...WE'RE ALL BROKE! We all have bills & responsibility. It's all about saving your money or just overall waiting till your financially ready.

I'm not gonna leave the 2.0 guys out...

There are quite a few 2.0 guys who suprise me with the lack of boost knowledge. You own supercharged vehicles and know nothing about how your supercharger works or how boost works or even what an air/fuel ratio is. Just basic boost knowledge is what I expect and some of these guys are just plain clueless about it. I sound harsh and I'm sorry but for some odd reason I expect more from them even though I shouldn't expect anymore from them than the average tuner.

I just wish you guys would take more initiative to do alot of things and stop this sibling rivalry crap. You're supposed to band together and unit and help each other, not put each other down or even worse, put yourselves down. That is all.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:22 AM

I like the 2.2 and the 2.4s. I kinda want to buy one and use it as a daily driver. A nice white, coupe.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:00 AM

I agree with NJHK, and slowion.

For the most part, I was one of those guys who hated when the S/C guys (both cobalts and IONs) were hating on the 2.2L, but have since realized that you'll get that everywhere. Tune your car if and how you want to, don't be so wrapped up in what others think of you and your choices. Just do your own thing, further yourself with knowledge about your car, and if you can or want to, take it to the next level. If we all worried about our image, might as well sell our cars and take public transit. No one will ever own the fastest car, because there's always going to be faster than you.

So let's stop the bickering. Cars are important to alot of us, because we're enthusiasts, but lets not make it our lives.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NJHK

My complaint with the 2.2 guys is that you always complain that you're broke so you can't do anything but buy an intake or cat-back...WE'RE ALL BROKE! We all have bills & responsibility. It's all about saving your money or just overall waiting till your financially ready.
Halfcent isn't broke
Jealousy
Old 06-09-2006, 10:59 AM

djt is...any hes a 2.0 owner
Old 06-09-2006, 11:26 AM

I think that some of the 2.2 guys make themselves feel inferior rather than other owners making you feel inferior. Everyone wants to show up "The all mighty SS/SC" by building up their 2.2 or 2.4 and beating one of them like its some type of arch-enemy.

What people forget is that you guys all have pretty much the same motor just with some differences. People with 2.2s don't think they have potential to do anything to their motor because they have a base model but then you show them what the J-body guys have done and it suprises them.

I will say this...I am sick of people not having any ***** at attempting anything and everyone comparing their car to the "top" model Cobalt. All I hear is "you put a turbo on a 2.4 and it would kill the 2.0 SS/SC"...with what theory behind it? None. And the people with no ***** say "I can't boost my 2.4 cause it has high compression". There are 2.2 OHV guys in base model cavaliers who have more guts to push 250 HP with 8 valves and pushrods than the 2.4 guys with a better designed and platformed motor.

There are quite a few 2.0 guys who suprise me with the lack of boost knowledge. You own supercharged vehicles and know nothing about how your supercharger works or how boost works or even what an air/fuel ratio is. Just basic boost knowledge is what I expect and some of these guys are just plain clueless about it. I sound harsh and I'm sorry but for some odd reason I expect more from them even though I shouldn't expect anymore from them than the average tuner.

I just wish you guys would take more initiative to do alot of things and stop this sibling rivalry crap. You're supposed to band together and unit and help each other, not put each other down or even worse, put yourselves down. That is all.
I think one of the main problems across the board here (2.0 2.2 and 2.4) is the relative youh of the Cobalt name. As a result you have a relatively young community which makes it more difficult to discern who knows what they are talking about and who just got the car dropped in their laps by mommy and daddy.

With a community like J-body.org, the cavalier had been around for over 20 years. With that comes a much larger and more knowledgeable community in general. This makes it much easier to pick out the gurus from the newbs. Wait a few years and I imagine the tone surrounding this topic will be greatly shifted.

As far as cobalt owners having "no *****" you have to look at the fact that, at best, these cars are only 2 years old now.
It's easy to be brave turbo charging a 7 year old cavalier.
When you still owe $10k or more on your car it's a little harder to justify dropping a few grand and risking blowing it through the hood.

Back to the basic level knowledge here though, I agree there are SC owners who know nothing about boost, but luckily for them, GM does. That's why people buy boosted stock cars, they don't need to be auto wizards to run a stock SC.

With that said there are also guys here (driving all 3 trim levels) with immense ammounts of knowldge in this area. And in time said individuals will work to raise the bar for the cobalt community at large, and hopefully squabbles such as 2.0vs2.2vs2.4 will be less significant and frequent.

Last edited by SS33; 06-09-2006 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:40 AM

I don't mind the 2.2 A coblat is a coblat!
Old 06-09-2006, 12:16 PM

i don't understand how people can say one engine has more potential than another engine (2.2 2.4 2.0)

they all use the same engine block, so theoretically they all have the same potential. the 2.0 is just stroked down and supercharged and the 2.4 is just stroked up and has vvt.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:56 PM

if i know know what i knew when i wanted a cobalt, i would have swang in that direction(buying a 2.0). i ve hung out with fellow cobalt s/c and there car are awesome to watch taking off! ( thats both on the interstates/ stop lights and at the tracks! i respect all cobalt drivers regardless what they are driving-then again i respect any driver regardless of what they are driving ( as long as they take care of their car). we "cobalt owners " are one family and i look at it as such- if not , why are we always running to the aid of another cobalt driver here on this forum when they have a prob with the car ( and sometimes their probs have nothing to do with there cars) i like my cobalt ( will love it is more like it) weither it be the 2.2 or the 2.0, its mine! ( well until i pay it off from the bank that is)
now money. modding a car i have learned is a time and patience game. if you had $10000 right away to mod y our car-regardless what it is- why not just buy a faster car. Me? if all goes well i hope to have at least my cat back and cai. im pretty sure this will keep me happy for a bit. then i ll look for more mods to do. but this is my plan for the time being.
i m nore interests in showing the world what an american made chevy cobalt can do compare to the fords and imports.
as long as i am the first off the line at the green, i m happy driver!
this is my $.02s( and i m here to stay)
Old 06-09-2006, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by blkcobalt
I just love how when you pull up to a SS/SC owner at a stop light, acknowledge him (or her), they just look at you like WHAT THE F#*K! Come on guys, it's still a COBALT too!
This has happen to me a few times, (and they know who they are!). I'm proud of my 2.2L Cobalt, I didn't buy it to race........I bought for the gas mileage. I have done a few performace mods to it, it is not, or never will be as fast as a SS/SC...and that is just fine with me!

.......I'm not say'in ALL SS/SC owners are like that, but I have ran into a few that are!
Believe it or not there are assclowns that do that to me as well. pulled up next to an '06 Laser Blue and gave a thumbs up got a dirty look from the driver (male) probably didn't like the fact that I winked at his female passenger.
I myself would've probably got the 2.2 if my then fiancee now wifey hadn't co-signed Just don't lump us all into one catagory
Old 06-10-2006, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by SS33
I think one of the main problems across the board here (2.0 2.2 and 2.4) is the relative youh of the Cobalt name. As a result you have a relatively young community which makes it more difficult to discern who knows what they are talking about and who just got the car dropped in their laps by mommy and daddy.

With a community like J-body.org, the cavalier had been around for over 20 years. With that comes a much larger and more knowledgeable community in general. This makes it much easier to pick out the gurus from the newbs. Wait a few years and I imagine the tone surrounding this topic will be greatly shifted.

As far as cobalt owners having "no *****" you have to look at the fact that, at best, these cars are only 2 years old now.
It's easy to be brave turbo charging a 7 year old cavalier.
When you still owe $10k or more on your car it's a little harder to justify dropping a few grand and risking blowing it through the hood.

Back to the basic level knowledge here though, I agree there are SC owners who know nothing about boost, but luckily for them, GM does. That's why people buy boosted stock cars, they don't need to be auto wizards to run a stock SC.

With that said there are also guys here (driving all 3 trim levels) with immense ammounts of knowldge in this area. And in time said individuals will work to raise the bar for the cobalt community at large, and hopefully squabbles such as 2.0vs2.2vs2.4 will be less significant and frequent.
Well the J-body has been around for that long like you said but to be honest...they were pretty much junk in the beginning (1st gen), 2nd gens were ok but had no type of aftermarket support and still don't, which leaves the 3rd gens...

As far as paying a car note and still modifying...I've been modifying since I pretty much bought my car and I have about a year left to pay yet my modification list is long as all hell. There are risks in everything you do when it comes to modifying...just cause you have a car paid off don't mean you can afford 3k for another motor when you destroy it (if it even goes that far).

And to be fair the J-body community has more of an audience because it's been around longer but our general audience member is between the age of 16-22 just like it is here.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Halfcent
Talkin' Smack is supposed to be part of the fun. You have to be able to take as well as you can dish it. And I am waiting, oh so patiently, for the day I can pull up to an SS, hell, any stock V-8 car for that matter, and wave to them in my rear view!

ha,ha,ha. I would pay to see that. I also am waiting for the day to pull up next to an SS/SC. I think I could keep up if not pull past him.

Originally Posted by Halfcent
Talkin' Smack is supposed to be part of the fun. You have to be able to take as well as you can dish it.....
You don't deserve to talk smack untill you see them in your rearveiw. You don't talk smack on a forum from a different part of the world/country.
Old 06-10-2006, 04:32 PM

has anybody mention what WE 2.2 owners have that the other dont have? like our cars are just as stylish as the 2.0s. BUT we have them on the MPG! they have to put the premium gas in their s/c, which is how much now? plus its going to get higher as the summer goes. and they only get barily 30 miles per gallon if their lucky. me. i ve gotten my cobalt up to 39 mpg-was aiming for 40 but driving the city through weekend killed it! more of my $.02
Old 06-10-2006, 04:38 PM

I don't even like my 2.0
Old 06-12-2006, 05:31 PM

2.0L FTW but i rather just turbo my 2.2L j-body
Old 06-13-2006, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by thedak
I don't even like my 2.0

I dont like my 2.2 so I will trade you straight up
Old 06-13-2006, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by niknyce
I think the reason most of them talk down on 2.2l owners is because the 2.2 guys seem to do MORONIC things... like put SS/SC wings on their cars.... I mean... cmon...
Eat dirt!!!
Old 06-13-2006, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by CleanNFun
Eat dirt!!!
No offense man, but he had a point. I think if you were kitted you could pull the look off with that wing. But against the stock body lines it just throws the car out of proportion IMHO. I think you should have kept the stock spoiler.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:02 PM

Stock-POS-2.2 Cobalts UNITE!!!
Old 06-15-2006, 11:57 AM

I want me some imports....!!!! Soon as I soop up this mug, hopefully,the cobalts will be looked at differently..Patiently waiting on serious upgrades..
Old 06-15-2006, 12:01 PM

And about the stocked spoiler,Razzi has a rear piece spoiler for about 2 and some change but RKSport has a flamin 3 piece spoiler for about the same...So choose either of your likin instead of the SS spoiler..

http://rksport.com/product/p_12011010/view_detail
Old 06-20-2006, 01:19 AM

well i havnt had a cobalt long enough (2days)to run into this sibling rilverly, but i do know what ya mean...when i had a base model cavi 2.2ohv, i would get that kinda stuff from the Z24 guys
untell i could pretty much keep with with them, or beat them..
btw, glad to ready more posts from ya NJHK, jbo hasnt been the same without ya
Old 06-20-2006, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by halfj99
well i havnt had a cobalt long enough (2days)to run into this sibling rilverly, but i do know what ya mean...when i had a base model cavi 2.2ohv, i would get that kinda stuff from the Z24 guys
untell i could pretty much keep with with them, or beat them..
btw, glad to ready more posts from ya NJHK, jbo hasnt been the same without ya
Yeah, I hate the whole sibling rivalry thing but I guess comes with the territory of feeling superior to others cause your motor has more power stock...eh whatev

And thank you. I don't really miss the JBO all that much...I miss helping people but that's about it. My friends know where I'm at, all the haters can keep on hating cause I'm still living my life. Plus, I needed to leave so I can broaden my horizon (so to speak) and learn more about other vehicles with cobalts rather than how to modify "dead" 2.2 OHV and 2.4 TC motors that no one supports anymore...not putting anyone down for having those motors but just gets old after a while.

I'll see you around.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:21 AM

yeah theres nothing to miss around there...it only got worse, i dont visit/post much anymore..this site seemed to be alot more friendly, i like it

Quick Reply: Is it just me, back me up 2.2 guys...