2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Is it just me, back me up 2.2 guys...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 03:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by halfj99
yeah theres nothing to miss around there...it only got worse, i dont visit/post much anymore..this site seemed to be alot more friendly, i like it
lol it's sad really cause Dave has no clue what to do to make it better...I say be stricter but guess he's afraid of pissing more people off.

You can find us on our forum www.ecotecforum.com if you're looking for one more useful place.

Peace.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NJHK
lol it's sad really cause Dave has no clue what to do to make it better...I say be stricter but guess he's afraid of pissing more people off.

You can find us on our forum www.ecotecforum.com if you're looking for one more useful place.

Peace.
I don't know that the .org will be peaceful. I mean look at the number of people who have invested years and countless dollars into that p.o.s. 2.2 OHV motor. I'd be bitter if I spent that long building up a turd just for the eco to come in and make a mockery of it, lol.

I won't even get into the 2.4 guys who have dropped more into their engine bay than their car is worth either, lol.

Either way though, I'll always love my cavalier, and I'll keep droppin in on the .org to see how far someone has pushed the limit.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by SS33
I don't know that the .org will be peaceful. I mean look at the number of people who have invested years and countless dollars into that p.o.s. 2.2 OHV motor. I'd be bitter if I spent that long building up a turd just for the eco to come in and make a mockery of it, lol.

I won't even get into the 2.4 guys who have dropped more into their engine bay than their car is worth either, lol.

Either way though, I'll always love my cavalier, and I'll keep droppin in on the .org to see how far someone has pushed the limit.
Yeah I guess I can understand where you're coming from.

I only go there when a friend links me.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:09 AM

if i wouldnt have paid for premium, my g/f got a cavi..and i still attend meets with my group WI J-Tuners...i wouldnt go back
Old 06-21-2006, 10:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dnbguy86
Here recently, it seems as most people with 2.0L Supercharged cobalts are talking down on us 2.2L guys. It kinda gets on my nerves when they do this because well pretty much the 2.0L SS/ 2.4SS are variants of the 2.2L ecotec. If the 2.2L ecotec wasn't introduced there could of possibly been no cobalts or so on and so on. Now i know the 2.4 quad-4 has been out for a while so i wont say its a direct vairant of the ecotec, but the 2.2L ecotec did pave the way for the engine in the Cadillac CTS, the 3.6L. Now if people question why we race or try to modify our cobalts, i say why modify your car, its a 4 cylinder just as ours ! We are all cobalt owner's mostly, why cant we get along ? It just aggrivates me, our cars have just as much potential as the 2.0/2.4 i think anyway. I just think we should all appreciate each others cars a little bit more cause we all one big family and we all like to take down imports, so lets keep it that way. If you must argue or flame me, nows the chance...
well the cobalts would have come either a wed just have a diff. engine...
Old 06-21-2006, 01:35 PM

i understnad what you guys are saying, but it seems like alot of this is brought on by ourselves...just look into one of the F&F3 threads...a guy automaticaly assumes that the only reason people arn't cheering on this guys street racing is because it was with an LS, not a single person even mentioned it tell he brought it up, seriously that annoys me soo much, it reminds me of when the some homosexuals will automaticaly assumes they are being discriminated against because their not getting there way (such as being turned down for a job) and make a big hissy fit about it

i really think if we dont keep going out of our way to point out about the talking down of the 2.2, it wont be as bad
Old 06-21-2006, 01:36 PM

not trying to hate on homosexuals...just the example that comes to mind
Old 06-21-2006, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by halfj99
not trying to hate on homosexuals...just the example that comes to mind
Go ahead...say it...

"God made Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve" LOL

Worse line evar.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by NJHK
Go ahead...say it...

"God made Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve" LOL

Worse line evar.
ROFL

that's so bad it's good
Old 06-21-2006, 01:49 PM

Oh boy. There's a whole of going on.

And a little flameage too.

I love all Cobalts myself. They just can't be stock. Mild to Wild baby!
Old 06-26-2006, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by RedBaseBolt
When someone finally cracks the computer on the 2.2L the mods will begin and it will really show it's true potential.
i got my n/a 2.2 already tuned out almost to max..i stil;l need software update to tune it past 6000 rpms...i have no timing pulled at all in my enitre rpm range i'm running at 7000 redline and 150 mph speed limiter the car loves this mild tune it has but eats mad gas....i ran 15.33 on a horrible weather day at the track. i know for sure i'll be hitting 14s n/a with my ecu tuned.now i'm coming out of first gear about 35mph at 6996rpms...65 in second gear and 90mph in 3rd gear..i havent taked it any faster then 106 even tho my speed limiter is 150mph. hp tuners is greatest thing to happen to the ecotec family.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:17 PM

Heres a thought. the 2.0 SC cars are limitted cause the blower is limitted. a 2.2 turbo car has more potential to make more power easily. in my opinion the only bad engines are sohc ones. 145hp dohc cam motor is good and from what i see running 15's is the norm. which isn't a bad starting point. in my opinion the cobalt SS/sc is just too much money for what it is and what it can do. for the same price you were able to buy srt-4's which are unarguably better in everyway( stock bottom end 500hp). i view SS owners as pretty much posers who are mindless and just jumped on a band wagon. eww my 22000 dollar car runs mid 14's.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by specvgini
i view SS owners as pretty much posers who are mindless and just jumped on a band wagon. eww my 22000 dollar car runs mid 14's.

This is how **** gets started and refuses to die...
Old 06-26-2006, 06:45 PM

Heres a thought. the 2.0 SC cars are limitted cause the blower is limitted. a 2.2 turbo car has more potential to make more power easily. in my opinion the only bad engines are sohc ones. 145hp dohc cam motor is good and from what i see running 15's is the norm. which isn't a bad starting point. in my opinion the cobalt SS/sc is just too much money for what it is and what it can do. for the same price you were able to buy srt-4's which are unarguably better in everyway( stock bottom end 500hp). i view SS owners as pretty much posers who are mindless and just jumped on a band wagon. eww my 22000 dollar car runs mid 14's.
Some might argue the same about SRT-4 owners...talk about the biggest wagon of them all. Plain and simple, the SS/SC is a car that is semi affordable, gives decent gas mileage while having a nice powerplant behind it. What you do to it afterwards is up to you.

Listen, a car is a car...every person is different as far as choosing a vehicle. Everyone has their reasons. Who cares if an SRT-4 can reach 500 HP? Maybe you but not the 21 year old who wants a bit more power and a good daily driven economy car.

On that note, this is getting of topic and might start some ish, so lets just try to end it here maturely.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:07 AM

Dude, I've raced a 5spd like mine, beat it. Raced and automatic and distroyed it. I want to race an SS/sc, but they always have something to complain about. If you have an ss/sc and live in the buffalo area, please race me i want to see what would happen. Everyone is telling me my car is a factory freak and i want to find out.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by Z06vettespd
Dude, I've raced a 5spd like mine, beat it. Raced and automatic and distroyed it. I want to race an SS/sc, but they always have something to complain about. If you have an ss/sc and live in the buffalo area, please race me i want to see what would happen. Everyone is telling me my car is a factory freak and i want to find out.
What does this have to do with the original topic?

If anything, if you're looking for races near you, go to your regional forum.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:13 AM

i know not everyone just jumps on band wagons, but almost all the srt-4 and cobalt ss owners i've seen are all the same. posers. i'm just saying if your gonna be one might as well be the best in an srt-4. thats just my opinion and it doesn't effect anyone really. srt-4>SS.

I think it's good that chevy has delivered a car that can be moded and is somewhat competition in it's market, but as an experienced car enthuisiast i wouldn't spend that much money on it. i'm in the market for serious speed and power. which is why i'm building a firebird. But if i was stuck on building a cobalt for speed i wouldn't go with a SC 4 cylinder. the blower can only spin so fast and crank out so much boost, before you have to upgrade to a bigger blower, and even then roots type blowers are not intended for high psi applications. not to mention the power band is limitted to just torque on the bottom end of the power band. a turbo is better because it doesn't take power to be ran and the power band is more broad. So in my mind the SS/sc car is limitted. i mean after stage 3 and bolt ons where do you go from there. now take the 2.2 ecotec which is a great engine and is fairly tough. you boost that thing 8 psi and your right there next to the moded cobalt ss, not to mention much more room for growth. i clearly admitt i have a bias opinion on turbo versus roots blowers, and i pick turbo application everytime. it's the way to go.

I don't hate the SS i think it's a great car and i'm glad theres a sport compact on the road thats mildly entertaining thats a domestic. if the srt-4 had a blower my arguement woulda went the other way.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:15 AM

i know not everyone just jumps on band wagons, but almost all the srt-4 and cobalt ss owners i've seen are all the same. posers. i'm just saying if your gonna be one might as well be the best in an srt-4. thats just my opinion and it doesn't effect anyone really. srt-4>SS.

I think it's good that chevy has delivered a car that can be moded and is somewhat competition in it's market, but as an experienced car enthuisiast i wouldn't spend that much money on it. i'm in the market for serious speed and power. which is why i'm building a firebird. But if i was stuck on building a cobalt for speed i wouldn't go with a SC 4 cylinder. the blower can only spin so fast and crank out so much boost, before you have to upgrade to a bigger blower, and even then roots type blowers are not intended for high psi applications. not to mention the power band is limitted to just torque on the bottom end of the power band. a turbo is better because it doesn't take power to be ran and the power band is more broad. So in my mind the SS/sc car is limitted. i mean after stage 3 and bolt ons where do you go from there. now take the 2.2 ecotec which is a great engine and is fairly tough. you boost that thing 8 psi and your right there next to the moded cobalt ss, not to mention much more room for growth. i clearly admitt i have a bias opinion on turbo versus roots blowers, and i pick turbo application everytime. it's the way to go.
you'll be seeing 110 traps outa the stock blower...I know my DD (90 mi a day) traps 106.5
Old 06-27-2006, 10:27 AM

I don't hate the SS i think it's a great car and i'm glad theres a sport compact on the road thats mildly entertaining thats a domestic. if the srt-4 had a blower my arguement woulda went the other way.

Well said and I fully understand. I myself am looking for bigger power HOPEFULLY soon (lets just say rotary ).
Old 06-27-2006, 10:36 AM

Why on earth would you care what a bunch of people on an internet chat forum think, enough to upset you?
Old 06-27-2006, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by traviskearney
Why on earth would you care what a bunch of people on an internet chat forum think, enough to upset you?
who?
Old 06-28-2006, 11:31 AM

rotary motors are unreliable they need rebuilding like every 50 ft lol plus the only wave to get any power from one is turbo. the rx8 is like the only rotary car produced i think.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:18 PM

rotary motors are unreliable they need rebuilding like every 50 ft lol plus the only wave to get any power from one is turbo. the rx8 is like the only rotary car produced i think.
considering how much easier it is to rebuild a rotary it's not a bad tradeoff for those who prefer them.

the RX8 is the only new car with a rotary in it, but that renesis isn't exactly the same as the 13b's found in the RX7 line. I'd take a 20b swapped FC over the RX8 any day of the week, hell even a modified Cosmo.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:19 PM

Actually, that's not entirely true. Rotary motors can be reliable...if anything, the rotary motor is sensitive. Also, take the 3rd gen rx-7s, they have a ton of things that come stock on the car that cause engine problems (example: an inadequate fuel system, pre-cat clogs easily). Now that the info is out there, you can fix all those problems and have yourself a nice powerful car, you just have to keep an eye on the vehicle cause maintenance is key and high when you're messing with a boosted vehicle and a sensitive motor.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:22 PM

weak apex seals are the devil too LOL

any engine configuration can be near bulletproof or very unreliable depending how it's taken care of.

Quick Reply: Is it just me, back me up 2.2 guys...