2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Is it just me, back me up 2.2 guys...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thats true. rotaries aren't all bad i guess. i prefer a sr20det in a 240sx.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by slowion2
weak apex seals are the devil too LOL

any engine configuration can be near bulletproof or very unreliable depending how it's taken care of.
Bingo
Old 07-20-2006, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by RedBaseBolt
When someone finally cracks the computer on the 2.2L the mods will begin and it will really show it's true potential.
hells ya....the 2.2 will pwn lil imports once they let us tune it
Old 07-26-2006, 10:36 PM

Maybe a dead topic by now, but here's my 2 cents.

1. Yeah, I get picked on ALOT (even by my exwife) cuz i bought an automatic. Well, what happens when i break my hand or something at work (heavy machinery mechanic), how will i shift? lol. I can't do anything with my left hand cept type. 2. what if i break my foot? i'm screwed again.

2. I never miss shifts. I can powershift or just pop it in D and go, but I never miss a shift, or let off the clutch to fast or slow etc etc. I never have the excuse (my clutch is bad, i cant race it)

Sure I could be alot quicker with a 5spd, but I consider DRIVING more than just going straight with mommy and daddy's money. I know a few kids with brand new cars, hell i saw a kid in orlando with a freaking turbo'd lexus LS300 or whatever. but everytime he went arond a freakin curve he hit the curb or ran into the grass or went into the other lane. He can't drive. But mommy and daddy spent loads of money on his car.

So yeah, my lil 2.2 isn't all that fast, but i am risky and don't value my life very much, so meet me on the crowded interstate and i'll eat that SC/SS all to hell. You'll be 10 cars back thinking "now how did that happen, i hope noone i know is around here." I did it to a supercharged toyota MR2 spyder. he killed me on the straight shot, but get my in some traffic and i start working my magic. I really should try autocross. haha.

Anyways, I Love the 2.2, it's more peppy than any stock civic, toyota etc i've came across. Besides, my exwife takes too much $$ in childsupport for me to afford the SC/SS. and beating one in a race, be it his fault, or just getting a better lane change them him, whatever...it feels MUCH better knowing he paid $7-8k more for what..60hp. lol. Go "big balla"

please, you want real street racing, not this redlight to redlight or wide open desolate road...get some congestion, some OLD people in their crownvics trying to get around disneyworld. 1000 rich kids in their Forced induction wthatever "club cars" trying to race you and then bring your SC/SS beside me and show me what it's made of.

I'll choose my auto anyday...cuz it KNOWS when to shift, it takes care of the dirty work for me...i just hold and and keep my foot to the floor.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:46 AM

Talking we have a winner

Originally Posted by Piercingpsycho

1. Yeah, I get picked on ALOT (even by my exwife) cuz i bought an automatic. Well, what happens when i break my hand or something at work (heavy machinery mechanic), how will i shift? lol. I can't do anything with my left hand cept type. 2. what if i break my foot? i'm screwed again.

2. I never miss shifts. I can powershift or just pop it in D and go, but I never miss a shift, or let off the clutch to fast or slow etc etc. I never have the excuse (my clutch is bad, i cant race it)

Sure I could be alot quicker with a 5spd, but I consider DRIVING more than just going straight with mommy and daddy's money. I know a few kids with brand new cars, hell i saw a kid in orlando with a freaking turbo'd lexus LS300 or whatever. but everytime he went arond a freakin curve he hit the curb or ran into the grass or went into the other lane. He can't drive. But mommy and daddy spent loads of money on his car.

So yeah, my lil 2.2 isn't all that fast, but i am risky and don't value my life very much, so meet me on the crowded interstate and i'll eat that SC/SS all to hell. You'll be 10 cars back thinking "now how did that happen, i hope noone i know is around here." I did it to a supercharged toyota MR2 spyder. he killed me on the straight shot, but get my in some traffic and i start working my magic. I really should try autocross. haha.

Anyways, I Love the 2.2, it's more peppy than any stock civic, toyota etc i've came across. Besides, my exwife takes too much $$ in childsupport for me to afford the SC/SS. and beating one in a race, be it his fault, or just getting a better lane change them him, whatever...it feels MUCH better knowing he paid $7-8k more for what..60hp. lol. Go "big balla"

please, you want real street racing, not this redlight to redlight or wide open desolate road...get some congestion, some OLD people in their crownvics trying to get around disneyworld. 1000 rich kids in their Forced induction wthatever "club cars" trying to race you and then bring your SC/SS beside me and show me what it's made of.

I'll choose my auto anyday...cuz it KNOWS when to shift, it takes care of the dirty work for me...i just hold and and keep my foot to the floor.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:38 PM

Yay for weaving through heavy traffic!!!!
Old 07-27-2006, 07:11 PM
tio

The only thing more stupid than racing on a residential street where someone may jump out in front of you , is racing through traffic where there are definately people who could be hurt by you. Want to race in traffic ? Drive a racecar with others that know the risks.
In your post you said that you don't value your own life,sounds like you don't value anyones life. Maybe you should go to a empty parking lot one night and hit a light pole at top speed. Please PM me afterwards and let me know how it worked out

FYI...I use to be young and STUPID too ! If you want to zip through traffic, nothing beats the engine braking and torque of MANUAL transmission (or do you manual shift your automatic so that you can pretend you have a standard )

For the record to all the future flamers, I have nothing against 2.2 Cobalts or auto-tranny,
my problem is with idiots that choose to put innocent people at risk because they want to race cars but lack the talent to earn a ride with a team.

Done now
Steve.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:54 AM

If you want to drive crazy find a desolate mountain road or go to a sanctioned track racing event, that way no one is endangered except you. I save all my sport driving for those empty back country roads...
Old 08-01-2006, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by DC52NV
well at least you guys don't have to put up w/ all the honda **** talking.

You think you guys get a bad rep...the previous model of my car ran the 1/4 almost a full second slower than mine...for some reason people still think it is the slow and shitty sn95 v6 that couldnt run down a bus and was just an all around terrible car.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:09 AM

i think all car owners just need to start realizing that no car is THE BEST CAR EVER. People need to learn some respect.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:48 AM
Banned

Dude totally, that **** is a blast.

Have you ever done cliff driving against one of your fellow traffic racers???

You and a friend drive your car off the side of a cliff and whoever lands first wins. It's a total rush.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by biohazard
deffinatly, there are some of us that dopnt deserve cobalts, i looked at a post yesterday sopme guy has SS badges on his car,,,, his defence was he should be able to if a 2.4 can, neather have SC's. Somone later said at least they have some of the SS parts on the 2.4 which makes them and SS. So what does this guy do? he bought an SS wing just to say hes got some of the SS parts lol
I know this is old, but what one person does to his car is none of your business. You don't like his wing and badges (or his turbo if you missed that part) well truth be told, I dont like your green underglow, does that make it right for me to talk bad about you, saying that you don't deserve your cobalt? Of course not and I never would. You have just as much right (to mod your car as you see fit) as that guy with the wing and badges and as any other car owner reguardless of name brand or motor.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by leviticus88
I know this is old, but what one person does to his car is none of your business. You don't like his wing and badges (or his turbo if you missed that part) well truth be told, I dont like your green underglow, does that make it right for me to talk bad about you, saying that you don't deserve your cobalt? Of course not and I never would. You have just as much right (to mod your car as you see fit) as that guy with the wing and badges and as any other car owner reguardless of name brand or motor.
Very good post!!

Fake badges>>> underglow
Old 08-01-2006, 03:07 AM

It is my opinion that the majority of people have no respect for others. Examples include: SS/SC guys talking smack about 2.2's, V8 guys talking smack about I4's, Import guys talking crap about domestics, Cobalt guys talking crap about SRT's, and the list goes on. The disrespect flows freely and evenly through all parts and sections of the car hobby.

Not only is disrepecting or looking down on another because of the car they drive or what they believe pointless and ultimately hurting the entire car community, but it also always comes back on you. I have learned this from personal experience.

A car is just a car, there is always someone with a faster or nicer one, but the way you treat peope and act towards them and there belongings reflects on who you are as a human being and how the people around you see you.

Respecting someone does not mean you have to agree with them it just means that they are different from you and thats fine.

The feud between the cobalts is a great example of this. Some SS/SC guys dont think that the lower balts deserve there respect and I believe that this goes on, but it also works the other way, for example this thread. Many pages are spent talking about how the 2.2/2.4 is the same and in some ways better than the 2.0 (gas mileage/ displacement/ money for mods/ etc.) That being said, it is pointless to start this thread and pointless to consider themself better than any other for what they drive and how they choose to spend there money.

Rant over...
Old 08-01-2006, 03:25 AM
Banned

It is my opinion that the majority of people have no respect for others. Examples include: SS/SC guys talking smack about 2.2's, V8 guys talking smack about I4's, Import guys talking crap about domestics, Cobalt guys talking crap about SRT's, and the list goes on. The disrespect flows freely and evenly through all parts and sections of the car hobby.

Not only is disrepecting or looking down on another because of the car they drive or what they believe pointless and ultimately hurting the entire car community, but it also always comes back on you. I have learned this from personal experience.

A car is just a car, there is always someone with a faster or nicer one, but the way you treat peope and act towards them and there belongings reflects on who you are as a human being and how the people around you see you.

Respecting someone does not mean you have to agree with them it just means that they are different from you and thats fine.

The feud between the cobalts is a great example of this. Some SS/SC guys dont think that the lower balts deserve there respect and I believe that this goes on, but it also works the other way, for example this thread. Many pages are spent talking about how the 2.2/2.4 is the same and in some ways better than the 2.0 (gas mileage/ displacement/ money for mods/ etc.) That being said, it is pointless to start this thread and pointless to consider themself better than any other for what they drive and how they choose to spend there money.

Rant over...
Good luck making people see that. You should post this in a brand new thread and make a mod sticky it.

One thing though the new Z06 and Skyline are/will be >*. And once I get one everybody will know it.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Id like to drop my 2c on this.

first off i understand your point.
but it also goes both ways.

but more importantly people talk about this situation ALOT more than it actually happens.

IE: find me a post where 2.2 guys bash the 2.0 guys.
find me a post where 2.0 guys bash 2.2 guys

the simple fact is its rare as hell. and people blow it all out of proportion. and in 99% of these instances its 1 of 2 things..... some guys kidding around and people take it the wrong way....or....its some complete douchebag that we ALL know is a douchbag, being well......a complete douchbag. comon now people. were not stupid. stop putting divisions within our community where there just flat out isnt one.

take a good hard look at your post OP. your gripe is that one class of cobalt separates itself from another. and within the very title of your post you segregate yourself.

and by the way everyone ends these rant posts with "were all cobalt owners lets just get along"

no ****. so lets stop with the mind games and concentrate on the cars. not the **** that you should save for the thursday afternoon session with Dr Wienkopffs leather couch.

peace out.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:44 AM

2. I never miss shifts. I can powershift or just pop it in D and go,

good post but you can't powershift an automatic
Old 08-01-2006, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by an0malous
"were all cobalt owners lets just get along"
Ions > Cobalts
Old 08-02-2006, 12:46 PM

I hear what you guys are saying though. I own a 05 base. But I don’t ever leave things stock. The day after I got it, custom exhaust was on it. Not the cat back stuff. I DECIDE WHAT GOES ON MY CAR. Not some company who is in the business for a reason. A little secret, THEY ARE TRYING TO MAKE MONEY. I have actually had a few SS drivers think mine is an SS. Then when they realize it, they don’t want to talk to me anymore. I got my base for a reason. Actually a few reasons.

1. BLANK CANVAS. like i said, i decide what goes on it. and what i like is affected by what i like. Not what other people think are cool. (might be why i was never the popular kid in school)

2. FORCED INDUCTION COSTS. i have a f/i car. Hope you guys like high maintence bills. Trust me, they are a reoccuring nightmare. (You ss guys are really screwed. limited numbers mean limited parts. especially your trans. and please dont say "its ok cuz its used in saab's also." guess what my f/i car is.... A SAAB)

3. I HAVE A F/I CAR. If i feel the need for speed, ill drive it. but gas is cheaper for my cobalt.

With all that said, time for a DISCLAIMER. These are my OPINIONS. Not FACTS. If you are offended i am sorry. I am just relaying the information I have learned from my experiences.

Further more, only a few of you guys have hit it. The potential of the Cobalt isnt with the 2.2 or the 2.0. Its with the the red headed step child in between. The 2.4. It gets both evils. The "if you wanted an SS, why didnt you pay a few thousand more for the SC" in one corner, and "if you were gonna make it f/i, why didnt you buy an SC" in the other. The n/a ss is way ahead of the 2.2 for one reason. Variable Valve Timing. to you honda familiars, itspretty much gm's vtech. more power and a lot more flexibility in the ECU than the base. plus its not a returnless fuel system. meaning it would except an aftermarket f/i kit better. and it comes stock with more high end power. But it also leaves that blank canvas that I love so much. I could put what I want on it. Thats why i would have gotten one if i could have. trust me, ive already tried to trade up.
Old 08-05-2006, 03:01 PM

Levi, thanx for the back up!

On my note the badges are off it was meant as a JOKE to a bunch of people and how funny it offended the people that it was aimed at on here so **** OFF HATERS.

I have no asperations of measuring my 2.2 to yours. I got the car i could due to my shitty credit.
insurance, monthly income niether of these were an issue to own the SS/SC it was simple economics. My credit is hosed due to a divorce (as any who have been through that will undertand). So I love the cobalt in any form but had to get the 2.2 in the color that i got it was the only one on the lot that was a coupe and 5speed. I did bought it and have been happy with it ever scince! I have never said my car was the best thing in the cobalt comunity as for proof ask any of the guys in my car club (leviticus is one!). The fact is that my little 2.2 is slow in stock form but i will also prove that it doesnt have to stay slow. Most of the guys in my club are stoked about me doing all this work to the LS to make it quicker than a staged 2.0. you guys will ALWAYS have me off the line but my 1/4 times and trap speed SHOULD be better. and i will spend atleast 3 grand less than your car out of the box from a dealership!

I am sick and tired of the bashing of myself and my car on this site. It seems nobody here can let the sleeping dog lie! Accept what i did as what you will! accept what i am going to do as what you want. I am not here to impress or compare dick sizes. simply to talk about the cobalt and show what can be done to a 2.2. and hopfully catch a few more club members for RME!
Old 08-05-2006, 03:28 PM

OK, guess I should say something. I work for a car rental company. We have LS, LT, LTZ, and even a n/a SS in our fleet at my location. Seeing how these did under the circumstances they get driven in helped me make my decision. 20000 mi on one of our cars is probably equal to 60-80000 in the real world.

I bought the SS/SC because I wanted something I thought was fun to drive. It fits me. I can afford it and the insurance. If I hadn't been able to get the SC for what I wanted pricewise, I would have gone for the 2.4. Everyone has their choices and circumstances.

I keep my complaints for when they are necessary. Like when someone is playing in heavy traffic, or blows their engine due to their own idiocy. And no, I haven't tried to see how fast my SS/SC can go. I got a ticket back when I had my neon that I do not want to relive.

Well, I might bash a few badly put together import body kits....
Old 08-05-2006, 10:24 PM

[QUOTE=forcedgminduction]I hear what you guys are saying though. I own a 05 base. But I don’t ever leave things stock. The day after I got it, custom exhaust was on it. Not the cat back stuff. I DECIDE WHAT GOES ON MY CAR. Not some company who is in the business for a reason. A little secret, THEY ARE TRYING TO MAKE MONEY. I have actually had a few SS drivers think mine is an SS. Then when they realize it, they don’t want to talk to me anymore. I got my base for a reason. Actually a few reasons.

1. BLANK CANVAS. like i said, i decide what goes on it. and what i like is affected by what i like. Not what other people think are cool. (might be why i was never the popular kid in school)

2. FORCED INDUCTION COSTS. i have a f/i car. Hope you guys like high maintence bills. Trust me, they are a reoccuring nightmare. (You ss guys are really screwed. limited numbers mean limited parts. especially your trans. and please dont say "its ok cuz its used in saab's also." guess what my f/i car is.... A SAAB)

3. I HAVE A F/I CAR. If i feel the need for speed, ill drive it. but gas is cheaper for my cobalt.

With all that said, time for a DISCLAIMER. These are my OPINIONS. Not FACTS. If you are offended i am sorry. I am just relaying the information I have learned from my experiences.

QUOTE]

This is exactly what i'm talking about. You bought your cobalt because it fits you and what you plan on doing with it, I bought mine because it fits me and what i plan on doing with it. This is a good attitude to have!
Old 08-06-2006, 10:13 AM

This is exactly what i'm talking about. You bought your cobalt because it fits you and what you plan on doing with it, I bought mine because it fits me and what i plan on doing with it. This is a good attitude to have!
Couldn't have said it better myself. I bought mine because I needed something more affordable than my 12-MPG truck. I like the Cobalt's looks, and IMO the 2.2 is just fine for me. It has more pep than my 4.3 V6 w/ 31" tires ever did, while still pulling 24-25 MPG city. I plan on leaving it stock, as I'm sure some others do. As you said, everyone has different plans. One person's plans are not necessarily better than another's!
Old 06-04-2007, 03:13 PM

lets just go smoke the toyotas and hondas that think they are better than us because we drive chevys. GO GM!
Old 06-04-2007, 03:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2007cobaltls
lets just go smoke the toyotas and hondas that think they are better than us because we drive chevys. GO GM!
WHY?

Why bring up a year old thread, to offer a circle jerk thinking about imports with fellow cobalt owners??

Quick Reply: Is it just me, back me up 2.2 guys...