2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

longer rods = higher rev?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
longer rods = higher rev?

ive been reading around, and different people have different opinions..

if i increase the length of the connecting rod, will i be able to rev higher? (as opposed to a smaller rod)

do increased rod lengths also increase the compression ratio?

(for those of you that are curious, im trying to build a high compression [12:1 or higher?], fast revving engine [8000 is about my goal] that can run on 91 octane pump gas, very reliably, and put out about 250 hp at the crank)

thanks in advance, guys
Old 05-10-2008, 05:09 PM

by increasing the rod length you are typically increasing the "stroke," this however usually means you will not rev as high. you can not just increase the rod length whenever you want to though. typically high revving motors have a super short stroke, but dont make as much torque as a low revving long stroke engine.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by hatrickstu
by increasing the rod length you are typically increasing the "stroke," this however usually means you will not rev as high. you can not just increase the rod length whenever you want to though. typically high revving motors have a super short stroke, but dont make as much torque as a low revving long stroke engine.
Actually stroke is determined through the crank, not connecting rod length.

Its a fine balance between piston speed and connecting rod leverage.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:14 PM

if you want higher revs you are gonna wanna shorten the connecting rod (stroke) you will be able to rev higher but your tourqe will suffer. thats why hondas rev to like 9-10k and make good hp #s but there TQ is non existant
Old 05-10-2008, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Witt
Actually stroke is determined through the crank, not connecting rod length.

Its a fine balance between piston speed and connecting rod leverage.
k, im not an expert (or even close too in this department) and still tryign to learn myself, but wouldnt keeping the same crank and just adding a longer rod increase the overall stroke?
Old 05-10-2008, 05:16 PM

well yeah.. i was referring to keeping the factory stroke at 94.6 mm, and get rods that are a little longer than factory.

or would i have to get a crank that has a larger stroke than factory?
Old 05-10-2008, 05:17 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 410 Likes on 352 Posts
No... that would cause your Piston to punch your Cylinder head...
Old 05-10-2008, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by bridfi
well yeah.. i was referring to keeping the factory stroke at 94.6 mm, and get rods that are a little longer than factory.

i think that would actually hurt you as far as revving higher bro. not to mention you cant just add a longer rod without doing some other things
Old 05-10-2008, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Supercharged06
if you want higher revs you are gonna wanna shorten the connecting rod (stroke) you will be able to rev higher but your tourqe will suffer. thats why hondas rev to like 9-10k and make good hp #s but there TQ is non existant
Again, its not rod length.
k, im not an expert (or even close too in this department) and still tryign to learn myself, but wouldnt keeping the same crank and just adding a longer rod increase the overall stroke?
It would seem that way but changing the rod length actually just moves the piston higher up in the bore. It also reduces the height at bottom dead center by an equal amount. It has the same effect as changing piston pin height. iirc con rod length is a function of deck height and piston pin height.

I'm no expert either but some members here can probably explain it in a little better detail than me as a few design engines for a living.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP
No... that would cause your Piston to punch your Cylinder head...
so what about a smaller stroke/larger rod length? or vice versa? whats better for an n/a build?
Old 05-10-2008, 05:19 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Have to get crank. Not really worth in unless you are building the motor and putting in new Pistons, Rods, and Crank and planning on making a lot of power.

so what about a smaller stroke/larger rod length? or vice versa? whats better for an n/a build?
For an N/A build, I would suggest a Stroker Kit (I don't know of anyone off hand that makes them for us), High Compression Pistons, and NAWZ.

Last edited by USMCFieldMP; 05-10-2008 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-10-2008, 05:20 PM

Have to get crank. Not really worth in unless you are building the motor and putting in new Pistons, Rods, and Crank and planning on making a lot of power.

For an N/A build, I would suggest a Stocker Kit (I don't know of anyone off hand that makes them for us), High Compression Pistons, and NAWZ.
i didnt plan on changing out the crank, unless it helps out alot.

im pretty sure i can get to 250 chp without changing out the crank, right?
Old 05-10-2008, 05:21 PM

Even with longer rods your stroke is going to be the same... the piston will still move the same distance up and down... to change the stroke you will need a new crank. You would also have to make sure when you get new rods that they won't push your piston up to far and cause some serious issues.

For an N/A build, I would suggest a Stroker Kit (I don't know of anyone off hand that makes them for us), High Compression Pistons, and NAWZ.
so keep the same rod length, get a crank with higher stroke and taller pistons?

Yep. If you stroke the engine you have to compensate with shorter connecting rods or a higher piston pin height. Opposite if you destroke it.

Example, the LSJ has longer rods than the L61, the L61 which is stroked further via the crank.

Originally Posted by LilHaile
Even with longer rods your stroke is going to be the same... the piston will still move the same distance up and down... to change the stroke you will need a new crank. You would also have to make sure when you get new rods that they won't push your piston up to far and cause some serious issues.
like head/valve damage
Old 05-10-2008, 05:22 PM

ok i have a question then. speaking in radical terms, if you were to use a CR that is say 1.5 inches shorter than the previous, you are not decreasing the stroke?
Old 05-10-2008, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by LilHaile
Even with longer rods your stroke is going to be the same... the piston will still move the same distance up and down... to change the stroke you will need a new crank.
right, im not talking about chaning the distance.

i want to rev high. im asking whats easier on the engine, so i can rev higher. im not talking about changing the rod length to change the piston's traveling distance. but i would think that the taller rods would increase C/R slightly?

ok i have a question then. speaking in radical terms, if you were to use a CR that is say 1.5 inches shorter than the previous, you are not decreasing the stroke?
no.

stroke = how much the crank changes the rod's position, from TDC to BDC

right?

Last edited by bridfi; 05-10-2008 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-10-2008, 05:25 PM

the only way to change your stroke is to change your crank.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:25 PM

All that will do is move the piston travel area further down the bore and significantly reduce static compression ratio.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:26 PM

if you want to rev higher, then you will need a smaller stroke crank

Yep. If you stroke the engine you have to compensate with shorter connecting rods or a higher piston pin height. Opposite if you destroke it.

Example, the LSJ has longer rods than the L61, the L61 which is stroked further via the crank.
is the LSJ's setup better for F/I?

i would think so, thats why they changed it. so i can increase my gains with an N/A build by taking the L61's setup a step further, by shortening the rods and increasing the stroke?
Rattlesnake Race Shop

No... you will be decreasing COMPRESSION. With the shorter rod... the piston will still move the same distance (hence, the same amount of STROKE)... but it just won't be doing it in the same spot.

If you want Higher Revs though... you don't Stroke... you DESTROKE. And you could do that by installing the LSJ Crank & Rods... but then you need a new Flywheel, etc... it gets complicated.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:27 PM

All that will do is move the piston travel area further down the bore and significantly reduce static compression ratio.
so, in contrast, i will be able to increase C/R by going with a taller rod?
Old 05-10-2008, 05:27 PM

so=

increase rod length, typically increase compression, but has no effect on stroke. also, does this not allow you turn as many revs right?

stroke is purely determined through the crank?

Quick Reply: longer rods = higher rev?