2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

looking for some honest opinions on my build ideas

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 12:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking for some honest opinions on my build ideas

i have a 2008 2.2 and currently i have GMPP intake, exhaust, SS/SC springs, and jet chip(big mistake, def can feel some gains but not worth the price, looking to sell actually lol) and ive recently come to the conclusion that its a fwd so i dont wanna make a drag car out of it, i want to go to the track still but i want to make something thats relatively quick in a straight line, but quick through the turns as well. I would just like some opinions as to if im on the right track or not with what i want to do I would like to get sportlines on new struts, a front strut bar(undecided which yet) and sway bars. preferably the eibach kit but is it out yet? every site says not available so im curious to that. a 2.4 manifold kit, then a custom header/dp as well as tune from trifecta to get alot more from a full exhaust and with a tune. I would also like to run nitrous but i dont know alot about it and dont know what to go with. Also, down the line id like to get cams when available for an 08 and eventually a 2.4 front bumper. I just want honest opinions on what to do and what would be best so any help would be nice
Old 09-24-2008, 01:13 AM
Jn2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
cost:benefit forced induction would be better, but if you want n/a and you wanna be quick, here's a list of tings to get you in the low 15's pending on how good you drive

intake
header
dp
catback
ttr tranny mounts
ttr motor mount
short shifter
2.4 manifold
mrz udp pulley
lightweight flywheel
stg1 clutch
stg1 cams
trifeca tuned
weight reduction(drop the rear and front impact bars for some nice drops)

that will help you out the most if you wanna stay, no need to change suspension at t his point, any suspension mods would be appearance only, unless you drop, in which you needs struts and shock to handle, for suspension i recommend

springs
ttr rear sway bar
mrz strut tower bar(strongest best on available yet)
subframe

they are not all needed, to have a fast balt...but they are all nice mods and get you on your way, if you wanna throw ina port and polish'd head if you wanna take the most of the cams
Old 09-24-2008, 01:26 AM

thanks and id still like to do some suspension i mean the car always had under steer and with the new springs it can turn a little better but now it just cant handle it and starts to slide through turns it is pretty sad my moms impala ltz can handle about the same if not better in some cases so idk what to go for first, amazing handling or stick with good handling and go for more power
Old 09-24-2008, 03:23 AM

i have and 08 balt too i have 2.4 manf swap cold air intake stock header ss/sc down pipe with a custom 2.25 cat back exhaust and i have tranny mounts and eibach springs 2" drop and a trifeca tune i run my car alot run with high and mid 14 cars all day i am as fast as a ss/sc with light mods but my car handles ok but my 18" rims ar too big
Old 09-24-2008, 07:11 AM
Jn2

time slips?
Old 09-24-2008, 08:06 AM

lol that seems a lil fast without nitrous
Old 09-24-2008, 09:12 AM

it does seem a little to high.....i guess if you mean you run with them but beating a mid 14 car def not depending if the driver is a retard i guess
Old 09-24-2008, 11:30 AM

if you want your car to be quick in the turns I would stick with suspension/brake mods.

if you can handle and drive well then you don't really need alot of power for that. (Miata as an example)
Old 09-24-2008, 01:32 PM

exactly im thinking of going with that first this fall then next spring when i have money 2.4 mani, header/dp and tune and underdrive pulley or maybe some of the power stuff now and later etc.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:53 PM

what about getting some nice lightweight rims and sticky tires... those will help you do everything better. look better drive better handle better run faster.... thats what id do first.

springs, sway bars, and struts is another good idea, also you might want to look into drag bags for the rear so you can launch harder but it wont hurt your cornering.

cai, 2.4 mani, why not get a sc header, dp, and then a nice catback. that will give you a good amount of power from stock.

depending on what you find andwhere you find it you could spend about 2k on all that stuff.

if you wanted to get more into it then why not just throw a turbo on that thing, its been done and makes tons of power and doesnt really hurt your gas milage if your not on it. but thats another couple g's
Old 09-24-2008, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by freakta
what about getting some nice lightweight rims and sticky tires... those will help you do everything better. look better drive better handle better run faster.... thats what id do first.

springs, sway bars, and struts is another good idea, also you might want to look into drag bags for the rear so you can launch harder but it wont hurt your cornering.

cai, 2.4 mani, why not get a sc header, dp, and then a nice catback. that will give you a good amount of power from stock.

depending on what you find andwhere you find it you could spend about 2k on all that stuff.

if you wanted to get more into it then why not just throw a turbo on that thing, its been done and makes tons of power and doesnt really hurt your gas milage if your not on it. but thats another couple g's
thanks i got the exhaust and new wheels and summer tires, intake and springs thus far id upload pics but idk how to im a noob
Old 09-24-2008, 02:07 PM

i need to go to the track but dont have time i race a 08 wrx intake exhaust from a 20 roll and pulld a half of a car on him and i ran a 04 or 05 mazda rx8 intake stge 3 clutch and tune and i pulld 1 car on him i ran 3 ss/sc 1 from a stop 2 from a roll i smash them off the line the 2 from a roll one was stock we where the same through the race the other one had intake full exhaust we race a 20 roll we where the same to 3gear then he pulld 1 1/2 to 2 cars my car should be slower but i dont now how it car run so good vince just fininsh tuning for nitrous so when i get the money i will have a 50 shot i brake whell stud all the time do you guys have trouble with yours
Old 09-24-2008, 02:45 PM

that just means you were racing crappy drivers

wining until 2nd gear or beginning of 3rd just means they were spinning the entire time...then once they hooked up they blew passed you. happens all the time...
Old 09-24-2008, 03:18 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by llvanbibber
i need to go to the track but dont have time i race a 08 wrx intake exhaust from a 20 roll and pulld a half of a car on him and i ran a 04 or 05 mazda rx8 intake stge 3 clutch and tune and i pulld 1 car on him i ran 3 ss/sc 1 from a stop 2 from a roll i smash them off the line the 2 from a roll one was stock we where the same through the race the other one had intake full exhaust we race a 20 roll we where the same to 3gear then he pulld 1 1/2 to 2 cars my car should be slower but i dont now how it car run so good vince just fininsh tuning for nitrous so when i get the money i will have a 50 shot i brake whell stud all the time do you guys have trouble with yours
Hmmm, this sounds unbelievable. Not one single N/A cobalt has shown 14s in the quarter. Don't BS if you can't back it up. We like proof around here. And you must have a lot of bad drivers in your area. Also, you would be the first 08 with the 2.4 manifold swap
Old 09-24-2008, 04:07 PM
Premium Member

i have and 08 balt too i have 2.4 manf swap cold air intake stock header ss/sc down pipe with a custom 2.25 cat back exhaust and i have tranny mounts and eibach springs 2" drop and a trifeca tune i run my car alot run with high and mid 14 cars all day i am as fast as a ss/sc with light mods but my car handles ok but my 18" rims ar too big
seems kinda low. i lost to a supercharged Cobalt by 3 cars we was completely stock. with all my bolt ons.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by umrdyldo
Don't BS if you can't back it up. We like proof around here.
x2 .. do i need to be the first to throw up the bs flag??
2.2 w/bolt ons does NOT = beating mid 14sec car,ESPECIALLY with 18"rims
street racing does not count for anything ..
wanna prove your car is fast? show us your mid 14 second time slip..or maybe even a video?
Old 09-24-2008, 08:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by umrdyldo
Also, you would be the first 08 with the 2.4 manifold swap
I am pretty sure that title belongs to me. My how to is awaiting approval.

Tire shredding power is lots of fun, but in its absence a GOOD handling car is a close second.

The SS/SC springs are decnet, I run them too, try upgrading to the rest of the FE5 suspension, get the front sway bar, and the TC's struts and shocks(or go with Koni inserts.)
the lower control arms are about $200-300(dont quote this) and they are stronger, stiffer, and have stiffer bushings they will help your suspension wok better under loads.

A rear sway bar if you feel your car understeers.

Sticky tires and lightweight wheels are an absolute must.

Theres a lot more you can do/spend, but youre either talking about a LOT more money, or a lot more time/money to set it up properly. If youve got the money/time/skills, you should look into adjustable damping coilovers and shocks, as you can tune corner weights with coilovers, and this will make one of the biggest differences in handling outside of tires.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:27 AM

i was the first for the 2.4 manifold swap and the 08 tune from trifeca vince told me that. i had my car sence the 08 cam out. ok the next time i get off of work on the weekend i will get a video of me running a ss/sc so u can see i spinn out really bad to i now it ant bad as a ss/sc but i am on 18" 205-35-18 i think my power is 165-175 hp and 160-165 tq i race ss/sc from a 35-40 roll so i dont spinn and they only beet me by 2 cars if there near stock if moddthen more lol and each car is different some are faster then others i build drag cars all the time u can have 2 of the same car modd them the same but one can be faster then the other i race other 2.2 and kill them bad i dont now how. soon i will have my 50shot does any of you guys live near omaha nerbraska or go to 1320video.com and click on videos
Old 09-25-2008, 02:37 AM
Jn2

i was the first for the 2.4 manifold swap and the 08 tune from trifeca vince told me that. i had my car sence the 08 cam out. ok the next time i get off of work on the weekend i will get a video of me running a ss/sc so u can see i spinn out really bad to i now it ant bad as a ss/sc but i am on 18" 205-35-18 i think my power is 165-175 hp and 160-165 tq i race ss/sc from a 35-40 roll so i dont spinn and they only beet me by 2 cars if there near stock if moddthen more lol and each car is different some are faster then others i build drag cars all the time u can have 2 of the same car modd them the same but one can be faster then the other i race other 2.2 and kill them bad i dont now how. soon i will have my 50shot does any of you guys live near omaha nerbraska or go to 1320video.com and click on videos
dont claim things with out proof man, u claim 14's i wanna see one of these:

now you claim 165-175hp, i wana see one fo thses:
Old 09-25-2008, 02:57 AM

dont have time slip yet but in a couple weeks i got to go finish my tune for the bottle so i will have it dyno is your a auto or man thoughs numbers look low for a five speed my friends 07 2.2 dyno 157hp cant remember tq i pulld 3 cars on him thats why i think i have around 165 hp i ran the 1/8 mile long time ago when i wasnt tune i ran frist run 9.92 at 72 mph my 2 run was 9.89 at 74 mph my 2 i had a better launch my tires didnt spinn bad i dont have the slips i will check too see if my friend has his we ran at the same time
Old 09-25-2008, 03:13 AM
Jn2

im a a5spd, 06 ls, and 1/8 done givt good times, 1/4 is where is at? and you say a 2.2 dyno's in the 150's, i call BS again...not going to happend with out some heavier mods
Old 09-25-2008, 03:38 AM

watch the vid close this cobalt has less modds then me the 07 and 08 ar alittle faster stock then the 05 06

<embed src="http://videos.streetfire.net/vidiac.swf?video=254797df-eccf-4231-aa20-9977000761d5" width="428" height="352" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed><br/><a href="http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Chevy-Cobalt-22-Dyno-Runs_126557.htm">Chevy Cobalt 2.2 Dyno Runs</a>

the vid didnt load go to street fire and go to search put 2.2 cobalt then look for the vid by Blktrax cobalt dyno then let me now what you think trifecta will vouch for this car it not tune he nows the owner

Last edited by llvanbibber; 09-25-2008 at 03:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-25-2008, 03:42 AM
Jn2

yeah thats HTML coding dont work on forums...
Old 09-25-2008, 03:49 AM

lol i dont work with computer well i dont now much about forums ether lol. i live in cooler weather to so that mite make diffrts but watch the vid you will be surprise
Old 09-25-2008, 03:49 AM
Jn2

yeah he has a2.4 mani, our trq is practically the same, hes got like 2-3 more even after the new manifold, my hp has always been in the high 120's, trq always been high 130's...dyno r just done to prove i gain hp, and i hate ricer math...and yes my #'s are low compared to some...dunno why...might be the temp, the time, the elevation, who knows, the type of dyno, dynojet vs. mustang, etc...too many things effect those #'s...not to mention 90* weather doesn help either

Quick Reply: looking for some honest opinions on my build ideas