2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

(MAFS) do I need it, or can I go without it??

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 03:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys

OK Guys, first of all, I am new to Inline 4 engines, front wheel drive autos. I have worked on countless V-8 engines, mostly Chevy, and on those engines a MAFS is only for smog. The throttle boby has a MAP sensor in it right after the butterflys. From the late 2nd gen. camaros on. That is why I asked the questioned, I was looking for informtive infomation on this type of engine set up, but most of you could only think about saying how stupid I was for making a custom intake, I have made custom intakes for all many people, V-8s, V-6s, Inline 6s and a few inline 4's. It was a simple question that anyone that has the slightest clue about the cars you own could have answered and helped me out. In stead, i had to make some phone calls to Chevy and internet searchs to fined it out.

I always thought Forums were created to help eachother out and talk to people with the same interests, and talk about common goals. I know i sound like a whinny bitch, but I am just very disappointed with Cobalt SS........................

But thank you who helped me get on the right track.......
Old 06-15-2006, 03:25 AM

Yet another new member has been pissed off and probably wont be back. That's too bad.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:29 AM

hey i answered the question atleast
Old 06-15-2006, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Toronto SS
Yet another new member has been pissed off and probably wont be back. That's too bad.
lol....

there are always ppl being rough on new members
Old 06-15-2006, 09:25 PM

These forums seem to be getting more and more hostile lately. I feel really bad for any new members that come here for that reason.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:12 PM

OK OK, Dude, don't get your panties in a wad. Yea, they were hard on you and honestly they should be. No one on this forum (other than the 2.0l guys) WANT you to f*^# up your car. The point that everyone was trying to make is that an engine like what is in your cobalt is a very technical machine that THINkS. Yes it thinks. Its like if you can see hear and touch but you cant smell, your day is going to be f#@# up. The problem with jacking up your MAFS is your computer has no idea what Fuel/air mixture to create. So if you are not getting an accurate reading your fuel mixture is either going to be too lean or too rich. too rich can cause as little as poor performance or MPG, to something more serious such as fouling your spark plugs or in extreme cases detonation, flooding, or vapor locking.

Second, it is not a good idea to experiment with homemade things with an engine like this. homemade headlights isn't going to cause major damage to your car, or void your warrantee. If you F up your headlights you can spend a hundred bucks or so to replace them. if you F up your engine then its not going to be covered under warrantee and major engine damage and service labor is expensive. AGAIN i am pretty sure the people on CobaltSS.net just doesnt want you to jack up your S&(@.

Third, Your question was answered. Early on too i might add. They asked you if you installed the sensor facing the right direction and you said it was. Just don't get all upset about this because you got good advice and it is normal between the male species to harass others on their shortcomings. I am in the military and trust me if you had done this around the guys i work with you would have taken a lot more crap for it.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:23 PM

^^^Precisely^^^

But I'm a 2.0 guy and I don't wanna see anyone harm their engine at all. I'm willing to bet that had a guy with th SC asked the question he would have been flamed just as bad.

Even if some come across wrong, everyone here just wanted to get the correct information out to yourself and any who may read this thread.

To add to what he was saying though, just changing the angle or position of the MAF can mess with your cars "brain" and make it think its seeing things that it is not.