2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Maintenence Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maintenence Recommendations?

Rolled over 52,000kms the other day and with the exception of oil changes not much maintainence and gone into this car. I need a new air filter as the one I have now is still stock and filthy, and i'm going in for my 5th or 6th oil change this week. Anything else I should get the garage to look into doing for me at this point?
Old 07-29-2007, 11:45 PM

are u talkin about maintanence to the engine, or other parts of the car?
Old 07-29-2007, 11:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you're an auto, get a tranny flush soon. other than that, you are good for a while before anything else has to be done. I've got over 125,000 kms on my car and it runs great. I use synthetic oil and have an AEM cleanable air intake. In that many clicks I've had my tranny flushed once and my fuel filter replaced. Thats about it.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:48 PM

tranny flush... how much will that cost me??? im at 35000 mi. right now.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by cougar2588
are u talkin about maintanence to the engine, or other parts of the car?
Engine/ Brakes I guess...still running on stock brake pads. Basically I don't have my manual right next to me and was curious if I was behind on any maintenence lol.

And I have a 5 speed

Last edited by PatDamanCobalt; 07-29-2007 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-29-2007, 11:54 PM

have them do a nice inspection on the whole car newayz, i kno in my area, (in the U.S though) i could take my car into a service station and pay somethin like 50 bux for a over 100 point inspection of the whole car. they will check everthing from hoses, tires, brakes, alignment and etc. if u feel like the car runs alright, i wouldnt really worry about it till something comes up.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:11 AM

If you're still within your warranty bring it to the dealer and just ask them to do a general look around of the car. Sure they might try to sell you some non warranty maintenance such as oil changes but you don't have to accept the service, just have them tell you what needs to be done and then do it yourself.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:14 AM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your maintenance schedule in your owners manual will answer this question.

You do NOT need a trans flush. These transmission are literally "service free". Unless you drive excessively hard, you don't have to touch it.

Last edited by Halfcent; 07-30-2007 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:57 AM

Also a tranny flush does two things, flushes all the fluid out, but RAMS all the gunk and clutch pack crap from the lines into the valve bodies. (its 50/50 on the person doing the job getting the flow direction correct)

Under severe condidtions the only thing you should need to do is change the Fluid that comes out with the pan and change the filter. (I do mine at 100,000 Miles, in my other cars) Or before the fluid gets to the point its chagning color form a bright pink.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:21 AM

BLKTRAX: In regards to your sig, are you running different tires rather than the factory 195/60/15s?
Old 07-30-2007, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by fastfreddy7
BLKTRAX: In regards to your sig, are you running different tires rather than the factory 195/60/15s?
Factory Steel wheels are cheap (espicaly if you bend one, and I work at the dealer), and I like the sleeper look. 15x6 4x100 work just fine and the 225's have never rubbed.

225/50/15" Sumitomo HTR200 - Daily Driver Tires

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=2

225/50/15 Hoosier R6 - Autocross Tires

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=2

225/50/15 BFGoodrich g-Force T/A - Drag Radial

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=1

I could open I tire shop at this point.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Halfcent
Your maintenance schedule in your owners manual will answer this question.
You do NOT need a trans flush. These transmission are literally "service free". Unless you drive excessively hard, you don't have to touch it.

Last edited by Halfcent; 07-30-2007 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:01 PM

so you are running 225/50s on the factory steelies, with no problems? What about the speedo difference?
Old 07-30-2007, 01:42 PM

so you are running 225/50s on the factory steelies, with no problems? What about the speedo difference?
its 1.5% difference than stocks. ex: 60mph stock, he is really going 59 on the new set.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:43 PM

Same overall tire diameter, they're (225 street tires) SLIGHTLY taller; but between diffrent tire manufacturers and tread depths they might as well be called the same.

But no no speedo problems, however I had the ECM and the BCM reflashed for the 16 in tires to A) bump the speed limiter to 115 and the new fuel calibrations, and B) to change the steering rate pressure that GM sets for the taller tire.

PCM and BCM info bolded below

I'll get the bulitin info and post it below...

The purpose of this bulletin is to provide a reference guide for the technician to upgrade a vehicle from factory wheels and tires to 16" wheels and tires, which are available through GM Accessories. This guide will cover tires, wheels, vehicle modifications, and warranty information.

Tires
GM offers three tires to be used in conjunction with the 16" accessory wheels (See chart below for required tires). All tires have a Tire Performance Criteria (TPC) spec of #1130 MS, which meets or exceeds all Federal safety guidelines.

When mounting the tires, rubber lubricant, P/N 12345884 (in Canada, P/N 5728223), MUST be used. The vehicle should not be driven aggressively (hard acceleration or braking) for at least 6-8 hours after tire mounting to allow the lubricant to dry. Failure to do so may cause the tire to slip on the rim. This condition will affect wheel balance which could result in a vibration.

Vehicle
Model Year(s)
Required Tires

Chevrolet Cobalt, Pontiac Pursuit, Pontiac G4
2005-2006
Pirelli P6 Four Seasons P205/55R16 89H AL3, GM P/N 19110292

Saturn ION
2004-2005
Firestone Firehawk GTA P205/55R16 89H AL3, GM P/N 89031303

Saturn ION
Hankook P205/55R16 89H AL3 Optimo H725A, GM P/N 19145856

Chevrolet Cobalt, Pontiac G5
Hankook P205/55R16 89H AL3 Optimo H725A, GM P/N 19160963

or

Pirelli P6 Four Seasons P205/55R16 89H AL3, GM P/N 19110292

Saturn ION
Hankook P205/55R16 89H AL3 Optimo H725A, GM P/N 19145856

Valve Stems
When installing accessory wheels, new valve stems should also be installed.

Wheels
Center Cap
Notice: Attempting to "hammer on" the caps may result in damage to the cap.

Install the center cap onto the wheel after the tire has been mounted and balanced, but BEFORE the assembly is installed onto the vehicle. The preferred method for center cap installation is by hand. As an alternate, use a non-metallic object to push the center cap into place.

Wheel (Lug) Nuts

ALUMINUM WHEELS REQUIRE SPECIAL WHEEL NUTS. Each wheel nut should be tightened to 140 N·m (100 lb ft) using the tightening sequence illustrated above. The torque should be re-checked after the first 160 km (100 mi). To help protect the wheels from theft, a wheel lock kit is also available.

Caution: : Incorrect wheel nuts or improperly tightened wheel nuts may cause the wheel to become loose and even come off. This could lead to an accident. Be sure to use the correct wheel nuts.

Care/Cleaning
Use soap, hot water and a 100% cotton cloth to clean and polish the new wheels. If using a wheel cleaner, be sure to select one that will not harm the wheel surface, such as GM Chrome and Wire Wheel Cleaner, P/N 1052929 (in Canada, use P/N 10953202). Avoid car washes that use carbide tipped brushes, as these may damage the wheel's finish. Periodically clean the backside of the wheel to remove road grime, brake dust and grease.

Balancing
Use MC-style balance weights on the inboard rim and stick-on weights mounted on the outboard-center of the rim (behind the spokes).

Vehicle Modifications
Important: Vehicle modifications listed below are only required when 16" wheels are installed on vehicles originally equipped with 15" wheels. No changes are required when installing 16" wheels on vehicles originally equipped with 16" wheels.

PCM
Important: : For proper vehicle operation and to ensure coverage under the provisions of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, the vehicle must be reprogrammed with the correct calibration as soon as the Accessory Wheels are installed.

It will be necessary to reprogram the PCM for speedometer accuracy. Failure to do so will result in the speedometer reading lower than the actual vehicle speed.

For 2004-2006 model year vehicles, use the Service Programming System (SPS) and select the correct tire size (QMF-P205/55R16) and transmission type to obtain the correct calibration.

For 2007 model year vehicles, use the Service Programming System (SPS) and contact Techline (1-800-828-6860 [English] or 1-800-503-3222 [French]) to obtain a VCI number.

BCM
It is necessary to perform a BCM set-up programming procedure to optimize the vehicle steering calibration. Failure to do so may result in a condition of "stiff" or "loose" steering, depending on the position of the steering wheel sweep.

After initiating the BCM set-up procedure with the Tech 2®, select "Change Options" then "Select Wheel Size". The wheel size selections will then be displayed. Note that the current wheel size and tire RPO (15" QTU) will be highlighted. The new wheel size and tire RPO (16" QMF) should then be selected from the list to program the correct calibration. Select "Save Options" on each of the remaining screens until completed.

Important: : If original equipment tires/wheels are reinstalled, it will be necessary to reset the programming of the PCM and BCM modules to the original specifications.

Tire Label
After installing the recommended P205/55R16 tires, place the provided tire label on the vehicle. The new tire label should be located within the red box, over the top of the original tire label found on the door jam. To locate the label within the red box use the upper and left hand edge of the red line as a guide. When properly placed, the new tire label will obscure the original tire information. Be sure that the surface is clean and dry. The surface temperature should not be less than 21°C (65°F). The label is provided as a guide for tire inflation pressures.

Calibration Information Documentation
Make a copy of the "Accessory Wheel and Tire Information Form" included in this bulletin.
Provide all information required on the form.
Make a copy of the completed form for the customer to keep in the vehicle along with their Owner's Manual.
File the original completed form in the Dealership's Vehicle Service History folder.
Warranty Information
Wheels
Part and labor expense to install GM Accessory Wheels as well as labor to program any affected modules "IS NOT" covered under the terms of the Bumper to Bumper Warranty. All GM Accessories sold and permanently installed on a GM vehicle PRIOR to new vehicle delivery will be covered under the provisions of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

For the U.S., in the event GM Accessories are installed AFTER new vehicle delivery, or are replaced under the new vehicle warranty, they will be covered (parts and labor) for the balance of the vehicle warranty, but in no event less than 12 months/12,000 miles. This coverage is only effective for GM Accessories permanently installed by a GM dealer or a GM approved ADI (Accessory Distributor / Installer).

For Canada, in the event GM Accessories are installed AFTER new vehicle delivery, they will be covered (parts and labor) for the balance of the vehicle warranty, or up to 12 months/unlimited kilometers depending on month installed. For replacement after the new vehicle warranty expires, but within the 12 months/unlimited kilometers coverage, refer to claim type "B" guidelines.

GM Accessories sold over-the-counter, or those not requiring installation, will continue to receive the standard GM Dealer Parts Warranty of 12 months from the date of purchase (parts only).

Tires
Any approved tire installed on a GM Vehicle PRIOR to delivery will be covered under the provisions of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Tires are covered against defects in material and workmanship. Tires are warranted for defects "without" prorated charge for tread mileage. Subsequent replacements under this warranty will continue to be covered for the remainder of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Any approved tire installed on a GM Vehicle PRIOR to delivery may continue to be warranted on a prorated basis by the tire manufacturer once the New Vehicle Limited Warranty expires.

Any approved tire installed AFTER delivery will be covered under the provisions of the tire manufacturer warranty.

USA dealers should refer to GM Warranty Administration Bulletin 00-03-10-003I and GM Parts Process / Policy Bulletin IB03-001 for more information.

Canadian dealers should refer to GM Warranty Administration Bulletin 01-03-10-003C.

GM Warranty Claims Processing
Only GM dealerships have the ability to file warranty claims for GM Parts and Accessories. Therefore, any warranty claims filed against such parts must be handled by the servicing GM dealership. This includes those parts purchased from a GM-approved ADI (Accessory Distributor / Installer).

ACCESSORY WHEEL AND TIRE INFORMATION FORM
You have just modified your vehicle by installing an "Accessory Package" which includes Wheels and Tires. This form contains important information about your accessory installation. In an effort to provide superior service to you, our customer, we ask that you please present this form to your Servicing Dealer when removing or installing wheels and tires on your vehicle. This form contains important information necessary to service your vehicle.