2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Making my LS faster

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 01:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Making my LS faster

Iv only had my cobalt for a few months and i want someone to tell me what i can do to make my car faster at first without spending alot of money right now. I dont know alot about all performance yet and i was hoping that someone could talk to me and tell me what i can do.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:07 AM
Banned

without F/I your limited

Exhaust, Intake, Light Weight Crank Pulley, Better Motor/Tranny Mounts, Sticker Tires, Weight Reduction, Nitrous (if your brave).

All can help achieve to contributing to a better 60'fter (helps lower times and trap higher speeds down the track.)
Old 06-06-2006, 01:08 AM

How much you want to spend? Bolt ons are always a good start. Intake/Exhaust/header/short throw shifter etc.

Or what he ^^^ said...
Old 06-06-2006, 01:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
here is a possible start(link below).....i put it in and it pulls a lil harder.....read thru the thread tho.....including the last post i made in there.....it includes info not supplied elsewhere in the thread

link..................... https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-2l-l61-performance-tech-45/cmd-intake-20287/
Old 06-06-2006, 01:12 AM

intake,exhaust,header,Sticker Tires, lower it with eibach sportlines, and save some cash for the hahn turbo!
Old 06-06-2006, 01:12 AM

try the air box mod

simply cut it and insert a filter!

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums//showthread.php?t=21909

cost me 50 bucks for the filter and thats it
Old 06-06-2006, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Skottish
here is a possible start(link below).....i put it in and it pulls a lil harder.....read thru the thread tho.....including the last post i made in there.....it includes info not supplied elsewhere in the thread

link..................... https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20287
yea i seen that pic already it looks easy to do im going to have to do it the cheap way
Old 06-06-2006, 01:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it was less than wyoming quoted......the total came to be right at about $70.....the filter i bought was about $15-20 cheaper than the one he bought......i recommend the CMD over the airbox mod, personally.....this way if you have a problem you can put the airbox back in and not have to worry about voiding the warranty by looks....make them search for the abuse via the computer....lol.....just my $0.02
Old 06-06-2006, 01:59 AM

heh i have 2 air boxes so i can swap anytime in less than 5 mins.....

so if you can get an extra air box id recommend the mod
Old 06-06-2006, 02:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The thing about performance is that there is a general saying that is true about it:

"The more power you want, the more money you'll have to spend"

Sure you could spend little dollar amounts on an intake or a pulley but the fact is that will barely gain you any power. If you want real performance, you have to be prepared to have cash come out your pocket.

Also, researching is the best thing you can do. It can save you headaches and money in the long run.

Make a plan of how much power you want and then use that as your goal...not money. If you feel that your power goal isn't worth investing that much money, than don't modify your vehicle to that standards and aim lower or don't modify and get another vehicle.

If you need any help though, I'm willing to help. Contact me privately or on the forum in my signature. Good luck.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by NJHK
The thing about performance is that there is a general saying that is true about it:

"The more power you want, the more money you'll have to spend"

Sure you could spend little dollar amounts on an intake or a pulley but the fact is that will barely gain you any power. If you want real performance, you have to be prepared to have cash come out your pocket.

Also, researching is the best thing you can do. It can save you headaches and money in the long run.

Make a plan of how much power you want and then use that as your goal...not money. If you feel that your power goal isn't worth investing that much money, than don't modify your vehicle to that standards and aim lower or don't modify and get another vehicle.

If you need any help though, I'm willing to help. Contact me privately or on the forum in my signature. Good luck.
Well said! and also remember to take into account your own boundries and skills, such as trying to install a turbocharger when you have little to none mechanic experience and you don't want to spend the money on a professional installing it.

I'm not saying I have any experience (cuz I don't), its just a lesson I'm learning right now.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by Veenified
Well said! and also remember to take into account your own boundries and skills, such as trying to install a turbocharger when you have little to none mechanic experience and you don't want to spend the money on a professional installing it.

I'm not saying I have any experience (cuz I don't), its just a lesson I'm learning right now.
Thank You.

And yes you're right about that. This is where researching comes in again...find a shop that is willing to work on your car without ripping you off.

Also, one last tip...

MAKE FRIENDS WHEREVER YOU GO! EVEN ONLINE!

I've made so many friends online and connections that if I need some type of info, part or installation done, I have someone to help me with it or do it for me. Hook ups are the greatest thing and friends are too so why not have them all in one? Friends have gotten me sponsorships, huge discounts in prices, some free stuff, a ton of information and overall getting a great learning experience.

Note: Becoming friends with me can also help you alot...I know ALOT of people
Old 06-14-2006, 01:53 PM

i am friends with NJHK and i have learned A LOT of stuff from him!
Old 06-14-2006, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by savior
i am friends with NJHK and i have learned A LOT of stuff from him!

Thanks.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by sneaky
without F/I your limited

Exhaust, Intake, Light Weight Crank Pulley, Better Motor/Tranny Mounts, Sticker Tires, Weight Reduction, Nitrous (if your brave).

All can help achieve to contributing to a better 60'fter (helps lower times and trap higher speeds down the track.)
Those are all good mods and you can also do header, hi-flow cat, and new cams. I was looking at getting a set of Stage 1 cams and I was wondering how much of a gain could be expected.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:28 PM

Who want to be the friend of a little poor french guy from quebec???lol just kidding but Adam is right,making friends in the cars industries(even if its not for tuning) is really good to make you save time a money on parts and labor and the best,if you can have friends like halfcent and NJHK,you ll gain acces to a lot of ressources from guys that really know what they are talking about.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by qcpursuit
Who want to be the friend of a little poor french guy from quebec???lol just kidding but Adam is right,making friends in the cars industries(even if its not for tuning) is really good to make you save time a money on parts and labor and the best,if you can have friends like halfcent and NJHK,you ll gain acces to a lot of ressources from guys that really know what they are talking about.
Si Senior
Old 06-20-2006, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by BlackLS
Those are all good mods and you can also do header, hi-flow cat, and new cams. I was looking at getting a set of Stage 1 cams and I was wondering how much of a gain could be expected.
Yea, how are the gains by replacing the cams? (more of a bump than anything substantial)
Old 06-20-2006, 01:42 AM

Yea, how are the gains by replacing the cams? (more of a bump than anything substantial)
Depends on the profile of the camshafts and how your computer reacts with it. Example, my car ran rich and because of that, I had terrible top end power but this is also my car which is a J-body, not a Cobalt but still an ECOTEC. Just a heads up.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by NJHK
Depends on the profile of the camshafts and how your computer reacts with it. Example, my car ran rich and because of that, I had terrible top end power but this is also my car which is a J-body, not a Cobalt but still an ECOTEC. Just a heads up.
Thanks, good to know.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:53 AM

Thanks, good to know.
No problem.