management system

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 01:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just wanted to bump this up
Old 11-09-2006, 03:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kyyankee
The guy at this performance shop I stopped by, that actually knew a bit about the eco and that surprised me, said if I gave him a few hours he could get a SAFC or similar product to work very well with the stock computer. I dont know how but he said its actually easier on returnless fuel systems and he could intercept the comp to comp communications and run them through the unit to keep all the auxillary computers happy as well. I dont want to be a guinea pig after hearing about the problems that someone was having with the SAFC, and I dont have the $$$ right now for 60$ an hour labor that might not actually gain me anything.
I don't know...
Old 11-09-2006, 04:22 PM

Back in Jan/Feb, a shop in MI set up an emanage to run an LSJ. I dunno how much different the L61 management system is, but it has been done on an ecotech before. FWIW.

Also, why does Halfcent have to be the be-all end-all guru of the L61? Granted, the other guy was a bit abrasive, but he had some points that were immediately dismissed because HC said so.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by handyjoe
Back in Jan/Feb, a shop in MI set up an emanage to run an LSJ. I dunno how much different the L61 management system is, but it has been done on an ecotech before. FWIW.

Also, why does Halfcent have to be the be-all end-all guru of the L61? Granted, the other guy was a bit abrasive, but he had some points that were immediately dismissed because HC said so.
mainly because he has been the only one to heavily and i do mean heavily mod his cobalt so if the issue has come up hehas probally ran into it.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by kyyankee
mainly because he has been the only one to heavily and i do mean heavily mod his cobalt so if the issue has come up hehas probally ran into it.
Fair enough. But even the most heavily modded person can still learn something.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:09 AM

SAFC != E-Manage && E-Manage != Ultimate E-Manage

The SAFC is a very basic Alpha-N based tuning unit. It uses throttle position vs. engine RPM to manipulate the stock MAP signal for increased performance. Even when you trick it into being a Speed-Density system by using an external map for throttle input its range of tune is too limited to really address all the issues.
At the street price of around $300 you can get an E-manage Blue and do everything the SAFC can, but with twice the range of tune. That's just from external adjustments, using the software opens up an almost unlimited range of tuning.

It works, it's been done, and while it's not perfect it gets the job done. Any shop that knows the e-manage at an intimate level can get 99% of the way to a solid tune.

like I said it's not like building up an engine 1, 2, 3, but it is possible with a little electronics knowledge.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:47 AM

Dude, I will start off by saying that I don't know nearly as much as half the people on here about this stuff and that in no way am I trying to start anything. But bottom line if you've got the know how why don't you just do this yourself, go to a couple of meets and prove everyone wrong. Then when you've done that maybe you could go work for one the companies taking their sweet ass time with this crap and design it for everyone. But chances are it's not that easy or else guess what someone else would have done that already.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by 223RIMFIRE
Dude, I will start off by saying that I don't know nearly as much as half the people on here about this stuff and that in no way am I trying to start anything. But bottom line if you've got the know how why don't you just do this yourself, go to a couple of meets and prove everyone wrong. Then when you've done that maybe you could go work for one the companies taking their sweet ass time with this crap and design it for everyone. But chances are it's not that easy or else guess what someone else would have done that already.
I have done it, back in the '90s when Saturn had the impossible to crack DIS. I used to run E-manage on all my vehicles. I have also already worked with companies to produce a product for everyone; both J&S and SplitSecond have units specific for GM sport compact vehicles. They just have limited interest from the community and less experience with the application so they don't advertise the products.
I made a DIY engine dyno and before I could afford a FAST to run the engines I used to run either a modified '730 GM PCM or the stock engine PCM with E-manage. In the case of the L61 testing we did it was a stock 2000 PCM and E-manage to control things beyond normal. I had busted multiple L61's before most people even knew GM had an ECOTEC engine line.

Let's not forget that the online community is only a fraction of the number of ECOTEC engines on the earth. A lot of them are used in rock crawlers and sand rails and in my experience there are a lot of them already running around with the stock PCM and E-manage, Unichip or other piggy back taking care of the needs from boost or N20.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:53 PM

I know im digging up a dead thread here, but there is a friend of mine on my myspace friends list and he has a base balt and its turbo charged using piggy back fuel systems. if you would like you can go to my page and click on his name, tis EMO for the masses. He also has a video of his turbo base balt on a dyno
Old 03-12-2008, 03:36 PM

I sold my civic and bought a cobalt ls. Big mistake. I will never buy another domestic again. Every 2.2 "engine management thread" is the same thing, A bunch of people who all know something arguing about what they don't know. Aftermarket support for the cobalt sucks. Period. For ALL cobalts! I personally cannot wait until my car gets wrote off.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:27 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow. Dead thread walking!

Since this thread was "born", there have since been two new products that are better suited for piggyback engine management with regard to the L61 engines. They both still have the problem of dealing with the stock programs PE delay issue, but they do work. Clear Image Auto is now offering flash tuning for the 05-06 models. The 07 does in fact now have a Cam position sensor, and a new ECM, but there isn't any support for it yet.