Originally Posted by stretch89
hey just recently I filled my gas tank with shell 91 and
All the other times it reads 300 mile fuel range but for sum
Odd reason this time it reads 260 mile fuel range all I did was
Use fuel injectors cleaner and topped off the tank

Anyone had this problem bfore or have any idea wat the
Cause is thanks

Sorry mods if I put this thread in the wrong section
first off, you only get 300 miles out of a tank? normally mine reads about 400, and I often get better than that. but i'm not sure what the problem could be.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
****, I would be lucky to get 260 out of the tank!
Old 09-25-2008, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why did u use 91?

ur car will run worse on 91 then regular
Old 09-25-2008, 01:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The range feature is just a guess first of all. Everything that affects mileage affects this readout. You should just reset your average mileage and see what the range goes to after a few miles of your normal driving.

91 octane does seem a little high on the octane for a 2.2L but that doesnt mean it doesnt need it, firstly the L61 does in fact respond very well to 89 octane as opposed to 87. it stops the ecm from potentially using the low octane table and/or pulling timing under full load. My car loves 89. So do lots of other 2.2s I know of. if the engine is high mileage, poorly maintained, has a history of low quality fuel, etc, etc, its perfectly reasonable to think that it may want to run on 91(this WOULD indicate a problem though, to be clear)
Old 09-25-2008, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by dead_black_balt667
first off, you only get 300 miles out of a tank? normally mine reads about 400, and I often get better than that. but i'm not sure what the problem could be.
wow that's alot wish I was geting that

Originally Posted by originaladrian
why did u use 91?

ur car will run worse on 91 then regular
damn dealer told me that its the best you can use
he told me to never use 87 my car never seen 87 by\ut has seen
89 and it seems 91 lasts the longest

Originally Posted by Maven
The range feature is just a guess first of all. Everything that affects mileage affects this readout. You should just reset your average mileage and see what the range goes to after a few miles of your normal driving.

91 octane does seem a little high on the octane for a 2.2L but that doesnt mean it doesnt need it, firstly the L61 does in fact respond very well to 89 octane as opposed to 87. it stops the ecm from potentially using the low octane table and/or pulling timing under full load. My car loves 89. So do lots of other 2.2s I know of. if the engine is high mileage, poorly maintained, has a history of low quality fuel, etc, etc, its perfectly reasonable to think that it may want to run on 91(this WOULD indicate a problem though, to be clear)
the car is well maintained i get a oil change every 3000 miles on syntehic yes iknow i can wait until the 5000 miles but i love to have my car well maintain, i have yet to replace spark plugs i have a cold air intake , and the oil filter always get replaced also, no major problems and car has only 21856 miles its an 06 so its about right, also i dont have a heavy foot so my gas milage shouldnt be less and i have yet to see it read 400 miles fule range like others i guess its time to go get the dealer to take a look at it which they just neglate you and send you on your way

Last edited by stretch89; 09-25-2008 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-25-2008, 04:44 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
If you have the 2.2 you should be using 87 octane. Nothing more.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:23 PM

the way i understand it is this.

the l61 is made for 87, tuned for it, runs best on it.

the reason why is that its actually HARDER for a car to burn higher octane fuel.

so it wouldnt be unreasonable to believe that your car would make more power on 87.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by chris88z24
If you have the 2.2 you should be using 87 octane. Nothing more.
Wrong. The ECM pulls timing under heavy loads when running 87, it doesnt on 89.

Originally Posted by originaladrian
the way i understand it is this.
the l61 is made for 87, tuned for it, runs best on it.
Its tuned to run on it. that doesnt mean it cant benefit from a little more. It says right in the owners to use "87 octane or higher" doesnt mention anything about 87 only, or that higher octane will reduce performance, etc....

the reason why is that its actually HARDER for a car to burn higher octane fuel.

so it wouldnt be unreasonable to believe that your car would make more power on 87.
Its not harder to burn higher octane fuel. higher octane fuel is more resistant to detonation.Which simply means its less likely to start to combust with out a spark.

No its not unreasonable to think that, but it would be a little flawed. The lowest octane GM(or any maker) recommends is 87, this is also the lowest widely available octane, agreed?

Our ECMs have a low octane table and a high octane from which to choose running parameters. Now if the 2.2 manual says that the lowest you should EVER run is 87, and that you can damage your engine by running lower octane, and this damage isnt covered under warranty, wouldnt it logically follow that there would be no reason to have the low octane table be tuned for something lower than 87? My point is that it is my opinion based on personal as well as professional experience and 3rd party observation that the 2.2 has a high octane table loaded that will let the engine benefit from the use of higher than 87 octane fuel.

I just noticed this, Depending on how long you ran the fuel injector and fuel system treatments through, and what type/how much of it you used, that these cleaners are actually the culpirt for the noticeably lower range. Some cleaners can actually set P0171 lean codes, and this will obviously adversely affect your mileage. Clear it and start over.

Last edited by Maven; 09-25-2008 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:44 PM
Bannned

have you guys seen turbo tech racing's new logo?? looks hella sick
Old 09-25-2008, 07:28 PM

Our ECMs have a low octane table and a high octane from which to choose running parameters. Now if the 2.2 manual says that the lowest you should EVER run is 87, and that you can damage your engine by doing this, and this damage isnt covered under warranty, wouldnt it logically follow that there would be no reason to have the low octane table be tuned for something lower than 87? My point is that it is my opinion based on personal as well as professional experience and 3rd party observation that the 2.2 has a high octane table loaded that will let the engine benefit from the use of higher than 87 octane fuel.
The manual does not state that. And there are few stations where you can get anything less than 87.

I also prefer not to spend the extra 15 cents a gallon for what may get me 2 hp only near the readline under WOT.

Last edited by YSUsteven; 09-25-2008 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-25-2008, 08:17 PM

I don't have any engine mods and mine does that. I live downtown in a city of 300,000 people and all I do is city drive. I run 87 Octane. When I fill up completly my fuel range reads from 280-335 miles. I'm REALLY lucky to get 250 miles before I fill up when the guage reads 1/8 tank. It generally talks 10-11 gallons to fill up at that point. The DIC says my mileage is 22-24 MPG depending on the tank.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by YSUsteven
The manual does not state that.
Sorry, fixed it. shouldve said this:
Originally Posted by maven
Now if the 2.2 manual says that the lowest you should EVER run is 87, and that you can damage your engine by running lower octane, and this damage isnt covered under warranty

And there are few stations where you can get anything less than 87.
I know there are a few, I said it wasnt WIDELY available and that it isnt recommended to use. I havent seen 86 octane fuel in NJ since the 90's.

I also prefer not to spend the extra 15 cents a gallon for what may get me 2 hp only near the readline under WOT.
I fully understand this, but what you need to keep in mind is that while it may get you 2hp at redline, it MAY also get you 2mpg, and if it does its well worth $.15/gallon.(this applies to fuel in general and not octane specifically. for example my car loves Shell, but loses at LEAST 2mpg if I switch to lower quality fuel)
Old 09-25-2008, 08:29 PM

Its tuned to run on it. that doesnt mean it cant benefit from a little more. It says right in the owners to use "87 octane or higher" doesnt mention anything about 87 only, or that higher octane will reduce performance, etc....
Of course you can use higher than 87. It just has no benefits or negatives other than costing more on a car that is tuned for 87. The key is don't use less than 87 because it can cause damage eventually. You can buy 86 in Detroit. I think some places can still get 85.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by emiller
Of course you can use higher than 87. It just has no benefits or negatives other than costing more. The key is don't use less than 87 because it can cause damage eventually. You can buy 86 in Detroit. I think some places can still get 85.
I am pretty sure that the computer not pulling timing is a benefit.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:36 PM

in my experience that fuel injection cleaner doesn't really work. my shop has a machine that cleans the injectors. a few years ago i used it on my maxima and i felt a difference and saw a difference in my mpg. most of those quick fix mixtures do not solve the problem. i would highly reccomend cleaning the injectors the right way, it was worth the money for me.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:12 AM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
Stop jerking each other off and just use 87. You're not driving top fuel dragsters you drive Chevrolet Cobalts. IF you want paypal me the extra money you are wasting at the pump, otherwise just use 87 like everyone else does in these damn cars. Christ.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:50 AM

I use 87, get 400+ miles to a tank. I don't drive like a madman
Old 09-26-2008, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by StraussiE WousiE
I use 87, get 400+ miles to a tank. I don't drive like a madman
I use 89, and fill up at somewhere between 350-400miles.(I almost never run down to the low fuel message) I average 32mpg. I dont drive like a madman, but I never shift when the economy light says to, and I ring it out at least once a day.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:35 AM

91 octane does seem a little high on the octane for a 2.2L but that doesnt mean it doesnt need it
And it doesn't mean that it does need it.

the L61 does in fact respond very well to 89 octane as opposed to 87.
It's not supposed to. Get a tune up ...

it stops the ecm from potentially using the low octane table and/or pulling timing under full load.

My car loves 89.

it may want to run on 91(this WOULD indicate a problem though, to be clear)
Get a tune up and run on 87 octane like your supposed to ...
Old 09-28-2008, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by firemanfrank
And it doesn't mean that it does need it.

Get a tune up and run on 87 octane like your supposed to ...
Wow, wtf is wrong with some of you people here? Why is it so wrong that some people run higher than 87 octane? Do you really have an issue with the fact that a 2.2L can benefit from 89 octane? You feel threatened? **** its not like I am sitting here saying I run 100 octane and since i do I am dynoing at 250 to the wheels. Get a grip. I am saying that 89 octane keeps the ECM from pulling timing under full throttle acceleration. Yeah the cars runs "fine" on 87, but Ive seen the ECM pull anywhere from 2-5 degrees of advance from nearly new cars with high quality fuel, and approaching double digits on cars with more miles. But you know what, if I can choose to spend $1.80 more per TANK and not have the ECM meddling with the timing, well guess what, I'll do that.

My car is properly maintained, sets ZERO trouble codes, has ALWAYS used TopTier fuel from Shell, and my intake valves were still sparkling clean ar 6500 miles when I did my manifold.

You know that a stock SS/SC is designed to run on 87 without causing any damage too, right? Why dont all you guys run on 87 then and stop wasting money???

Or how about you just keep your mouth shut and your fingers off the keys when youve got nothing productive OR accurate to contribute when it comes to the L61......
Old 09-29-2008, 08:01 PM

Wow, wtf is wrong with some of you people here? Why is it so wrong that some people run higher than 87 octane? Do you really have an issue with the fact that a 2.2L can benefit from 89 octane? You feel threatened? **** its not like I am sitting here saying I run 100 octane and since i do I am dynoing at 250 to the wheels. Get a grip. I am saying that 89 octane keeps the ECM from pulling timing under full throttle acceleration. Yeah the cars runs "fine" on 87, but Ive seen the ECM pull anywhere from 2-5 degrees of advance from nearly new cars with high quality fuel, and approaching double digits on cars with more miles. But you know what, if I can choose to spend $1.80 more per TANK and not have the ECM meddling with the timing, well guess what, I'll do that.

My car is properly maintained, sets ZERO trouble codes, has ALWAYS used TopTier fuel from Shell, and my intake valves were still sparkling clean ar 6500 miles when I did my manifold.

You know that a stock SS/SC is designed to run on 87 without causing any damage too, right? Why dont all you guys run on 87 then and stop wasting money???

Or how about you just keep your mouth shut and your fingers off the keys when youve got nothing productive OR accurate to contribute when it comes to the L61......
If you want to throw away money go for it. The fact is that he is right. Your car is tuned to run on 87. It doesn't pull timing to run 87. It wont hurt anything to run higher but it will do nothing positive either.

The LNF and LSJ are designed to run 91. They will adjust the timing if you run lower to prevent damage but it will still cost you some power.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:50 PM

**** i dont even know a place that sells 87 around here haha
Old 09-29-2008, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by emiller
Your car is tuned to run on 87. It doesn't pull timing to run 87.
Well, the fact is that you are wrong. It absolutley does pull timing on 87. Ive seen it on multiple Cobalts, a G5 and multipe Cavs, I also know of quite a few people(at least one of them fairly widely known to those who are interested in NA ECOs) who have seen, experience and even logged this "unbelievable phenomenon"
Old 09-30-2008, 09:51 AM

Well, the fact is that you are wrong. It absolutley does pull timing on 87. Ive seen it on multiple Cobalts, a G5 and multipe Cavs, I also know of quite a few people(at least one of them fairly widely known to those who are interested in NA ECOs) who have seen, experience and even logged this "unbelievable phenomenon"
Factory tunes are so general that the ecm will pull timing (even if its only a fraction of a degree) no matter what pump gas you run. Factory tunes are designed to work in alomost all climate conditions. For example: Lets take the wonderful climate here in northern Indiana. 95 Degrees on a hot summer day, - 10 degrees on a clod winter night winter. The factory tune has to work in both situations. The computer adds/subtracts timing wherever it feels is needed to maintain low/no knock condition while achieving driveable performance. It uses the good spark timing table as a guide. If your wondering how I know this, I did my own tuning in my Grand Prix for almost 3 years. I'm not a professional but I know how an ecm works and I've done a lot of research.

Quick Reply: mileage till empty