2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

To mod or not to mod that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To mod or not to mod that is the question

Hey guys it’s been a while since I’ve posted anything on here but I wanted to get some opinions if you think I should leave my balt stock or do some things to it. First I’ll give you some of my history, I have built 3 Turbo Honda’s, 2 300zx turbos and just recently sold my “toy car” which was a 98 Neon with a 2.4 turbo swap into it. I dumped A LOT of money into that car over a period of 3-4 years and was never happy with it. Always something with tuning the Megasquirt or just little headaches that showed up every day. The only good thing that happened from that situation is that when it was time for a daily driver I bought my first Cobalt 4dr Manual shift. I loved that car it was “quick” to get me in and out of traffic and the fuel mileage was great. Well I ended up going getting bored with building cars and got into the 4 wheeling thing. Traded in my 05 sedan and bought a 06 Silverado, 2 quads (1 for me and 1 for fiancé) and a small trailer. Believe it or not the “wife” was not a fan of getting muddy and the rise in gas prices influenced me to get rid of the 2 quads for the one I really wanted and ditch the truck for a 07 2dr. Cobalt. I got the car Jan 1st this year brand new and have put 17,000 miles on it already because I do a lot of road trips. The only thing I have done to the car since I bought was buy a small class 1 hitch to pull my quad which it does quite well. I am really apprehensive to do anything because of the Neon that I had, very unreliable and sold it for a 4th of the money I put into it. I have considered putting pistons/rods in the cobalt running nitrous with all the bolton’s but have ran into a problem getting a local dealer to reflash my computer to get the SAI off. I have access to a ton of performance parts because of where I work but im not sure if I should invest some money into the cobalt or go looking for another car to build. Im not looking for a race car and don’t have a problem spending the money I just want something a little more fun to drive and something that will set me apart from the black cobalt sitting next to me at the stop light. Thanks for the input and Ideas guys.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:31 PM

there are alot of things you can do to a balt. I had the same problem you did with whether or not to mod.
I would say halos, debadge the back and add a nice body kit and you will definately look better and different than the cobalt next to you.
GL with your decision!!
Old 08-12-2007, 10:29 PM
j27
Banned

Go a head and mod you will be happy with what ever you do I was.

still am

Last edited by j27; 08-12-2007 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-12-2007, 11:12 PM

At least you have learned about the downside of extensive modding: how reliability goes down and how you sometimes lose your ass if you need to sell the car.

You want to know what I'd do? You've got a good new car there with a good warranty, I'd let GM fix any problems for the next couple of years.
Keep the mods simple. Wheels/tires for sure. Maybe lowering springs and SS suspension parts. Debadge. Maybe stripes, maybe tint, whatever you like.
Engine wise I'd probably do a CAI, exhaust, maybe a header.
You don't have to do much to make the car unique.

Then buy something else to play with. Whatever's cheap that will take a big V8 and won't cost a fortune to get big HP numbers.

Just my 2 cents, but I am more practical than a lot of the members here.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:34 PM

drputts your right out by me in Newton Falls, i know how nice it is to get in the car knowing that when i turn the key i could drive to 500miles and not worry about a thing. This is the first time and longest i have ever not started building something. I have kicked around the V8 thing but cannot find a platform that really gets my attention. Working out at Summit Racing I know what the price differences are between "sport compact" and "muscle" cars are and i could get a whole lot more for the same dollar. thanks for the input
Old 08-13-2007, 12:03 AM

Cobalt = Neon

it will be the same story again and if you want a turbo setup on this motor you'll be looking at Megasquirt a second time.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Gus RT
drputts your right out by me in Newton Falls, i know how nice it is to get in the car knowing that when i turn the key i could drive to 500miles and not worry about a thing. This is the first time and longest i have ever not started building something. I have kicked around the V8 thing but cannot find a platform that really gets my attention. Working out at Summit Racing I know what the price differences are between "sport compact" and "muscle" cars are and i could get a whole lot more for the same dollar. thanks for the input
Yeah, hey Gus, I'm right down RT5.
Since you are driving so far to work every day seems to me it would make sense to keep your car mostly stock for gas mileage. Also, unfortunately some of the people here have had some problems with their cars and I'd want to keep the warranty intact.

But wow, I bet you guys that work at Summit have some fine rides!
I know your garage looks pretty good, love the mustang especially.
For a project I'd love to do a frame-off build of a vette, camaro or mustang. Unfortunately, I'm broke!