2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

mods

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 05:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mods

I am new to this site and I have a 05 2.2L Ecotec. I want to do some mods to my car but without anyone knowing that it is upgraded. But I want things that are relatively cheap and non-visible. Like is there anything that can be done intake wise without putting a cai on or drop in filter that is better for air flow? Anything that can reduce weight that is unnoticeable? My b/f has a 05 2.2 5-speed also and was telling me I couldnt drive one as well as he could since I am a girl so we were going to go to the track to prove it. He claims he could beat me by atleast .3 seconds and both of our cars are stock as of now. So any tips from anyone who knows a thing or two about "hidden" mods? And I dont want to go internal on the engine or with an exhaust, I dont like the ricer sound. Do any of those ebay things work or those tornado things that go in the intake help? I heard they actually get 2-3 mpg better so I was thinking about getting one lol I mean he knows a lil bit about these engines and performance on cars in general so he would know if I had a cai or something like that done to my car. Thanks
Old 09-25-2007, 05:11 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
as far as "hidden" weight reduction go to the track w/ very little gas 1/8tank or less, and take out your spare tire & jack
Old 09-25-2007, 05:14 AM

be almost on empty..a full tank weights like 125lbs.. take out the spare tire...makesure nothings in the trunk..glovebox.. and you could just take off the top of the airbox while you are there too
Old 09-25-2007, 05:16 AM

I was thinking about that but he may do that too. I am really pretty much clueless and he wont give me any help unless I admit he can beat me (Im not as good at driving a manual as he is I will admit that but I like to be stubborn with him because I think hes cute when he gets a lil mad face at me lol). But I figured since he doesnt have a computer right now since its been broke for a few months that he wouldnt be able to get on here, idk if he is a member, but I wont get caught trying to get a lil edge lol
Old 09-25-2007, 05:21 AM

Run pretty much max psi in the rear tires (depends on tires) and a little bit low (from normal) in the front. helps with traction. watch your launch and dont launch over 3K unless you know what you're doing (it seems like you dont but im not going to say that to offend you)
Old 09-25-2007, 05:29 AM

I need to be able to do a 16.0ish to not lose by what he told me :-( which I heard is very hard, to not lose to him by what he told me he would beat me by
Old 09-25-2007, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by amg88
Im not as good at driving a manual as he is I will admit that but I like to be stubborn with him because I think hes cute when he gets a lil mad face at me lol.
If he's better at driving a stick I think your going tohave a hard time winning the race. Practice launching and shifting at about 6k. A LSJ exhaust manifold and down pipe would help with power. A full LSJ exhaust would be better and not sound ricey.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:49 AM

dont get the tornado things. my friend at his work actually dynotested those things and he actually got less horsepower and torque.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:56 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I need to be able to do a 16.0ish to not lose by what he told me :-( which I heard is very hard, to not lose to him by what he told me he would beat me by
Has he ever been to the track before? I seriously doubt he can cut a 16.0 with a stock LS, it is VERY HARD to do.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:53 AM

i dont think that your b/f can drive to well to be honest. if hes so cocky why would he'd be asking to race his g/f. he prolly doesnt think you can race since your a girl. ill be honest while 90% women cant drive you always got to be aware of that other 10%. i've seen many a girls driving 13 second cars at the track and even a few 11's and one 10. So whose to say. Put a stealth nitrous system on your car and embarass him lol.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:28 AM

Get some DR's. That will solve your launching/traction problems... I guarantee you will beat him with those suckers on.

But on a serious note, go out to a back road during dusk, and practice your launches. Practice launching from 2200 - 3000rpms. Get a feel for the clutch. If you launch better then him, you have a lot bigger chance of winning or keeping up with him.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:15 PM

Remove his spare tire and fill the spare tire well with sand
Old 09-25-2007, 03:28 PM
Jn2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
or take his car to the gas station and fill it up, throw ur spare in his trunk, as well as his, i doubt he'll nitce he has 2 spare back there, he'll probably never check, especially if he thinks he took it out already, just sneek it and urs back in his trunk and that'll put him at a dissadvantage...if you can, get under the hood and unscrew the MAF sensor while your already at the track, take the sensor out, it wont hurt any, the ECU is preprogramed to run rich if the sensor fails, but at the launch he'll buck a bit, as well as when she shifts...that'll cut some time off, just make sure u plug it back in b4 he notices...lol...and alos, throw some random heavy **** in his trunk
Old 09-25-2007, 03:34 PM

First, tell him that there are women out there that would blow his doors off no matter how he wanted to race: Danica Patrick, the Force sisters, Angelle Sampay, etc.

Second, if you really want to beat him, you just need to prcatice, practice, practice. If you can spend as much time as he has learning to launch, shift, and drive you would probably whip his butt. But is it worth beating up your car to do this? If I were him I wouldn't get any satisfaction out of beating my G/F anyway.

It has been proven that women actually have faster reaction times then men, and can handle more Gs. Women are just as good (or better) as men at driving race cars, fighter planes, heavy machinery, just about anything.

I could see where it would be fun for you to beat him though! He deserves it after shooting his mouth off like that. Just consider how he would react to gettin beat by you, how would he handle it? Some guys don't like powerful women.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:14 PM

Haha well its kind of my fault that we are racing. I kept nagging him on that he was a bad driver and he just said "Im a better driver than you" so I told him to prove it. I love racing and going to the track to watch the big muscle cars race and going to watch my bf and his friends autocross race so I didnt mind. I wanted to go back up to the track and he didnt so this is how I convinced him lol using some reverse psychology. Well we both know he is better and hes not really into drag racing, he likes autocross. But the one day up at the track his time was pretty low, like a high 15 and he was very proud of it and I just keep telling him that hes slow lol aint I so nice?
Old 09-25-2007, 05:24 PM

Haha well its kind of my fault that we are racing. I kept nagging him on that he was a bad driver and he just said "Im a better driver than you" so I told him to prove it.
Ah, Ha, now we see. You are the instigator! Well I gues now it is put up or shut up!!

He is lucky to have a G/F that is into cars. Mine doesn't know how to do anything except put gas and CDs into them.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:27 PM

just threaten him. no sex if for a week if he wins.... i bet u will win that way. lol

Originally Posted by DrPuttsSS/SC
Ah, Ha, now we see. You are the instigator! Well I gues now it is put up or shut up!!

He is lucky to have a G/F that is into cars. Mine doesn't know how to do anything except put gas and CDs into them.
true that!!! sounds like mine. actually, she doesnt even like pumping gas.

Last edited by cougar2588; 09-25-2007 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-25-2007, 05:30 PM

grrr...
Old 09-25-2007, 05:34 PM

woww

i cant post with anything longer than a sentence

Last edited by o3nisoaso3; 09-25-2007 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-25-2007, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by cougar2588
just threaten him. no sex if for a week if he wins.... i bet u will win that way. lol
She might want to go with a month. If its only a week, im sure that he can hold out.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:25 PM

Haha my dad is a certified mechanic and now works at a collision repair center. He has a 71 Charger that he built and painted himself from it being nothing. So from being around my dad so much, since my mom left us, I got around and into cars with him. I used to stay out in the garage and watch him fix up the Charger. And for the no sex thing, I am the one that wants it all the time, so that wouldnt really work on him, hes says that he doesnt need to have sex with me all the time, which I think is really sweet (He has made me wait 3 weeks before and I went nuts on him but it was worth the wait). But I am liking all the ideas, thanks
Old 09-25-2007, 06:28 PM

depends on how old they are. When I was 18 my gf used to threaten me with 2 days and I'd start to sweat

How much does he weigh and how much do you weigh? If you weigh a good bit less then there's an advantage right there.

put some of your junk into his trunk. have as little gas as possible. Take out all floormats, stuff in the glovebox. Clean the **** outta your car.

You could get an lsj exhaust manifold and downpipe for like $100 to give you a little hp. You wouldn't even notice it was there as far as looking at it and listening to it.

cut your bellows tube off the end of your intake(it's in the fenderwel)

port match your intake/exhaust manifolds. Might be a little much for you but it's there if you feel like it.

put an icebag over your intake before the race to get the intake temps down

put your front tires to around 25psi and your rears to like 35-40.

shift as fast as possible

if all else fails hide a dry 30 shot of nitrous
Old 09-25-2007, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Novajoe
depends on how old they are. When I was 18 my gf used to threaten me with 2 days and I'd start to sweat

How much does he weigh and how much do you weigh? If you weigh a good bit less then there's an advantage right there.

put some of your junk into his trunk. have as little gas as possible. Take out all floormats, stuff in the glovebox. Clean the **** outta your car.

You could get an lsj exhaust manifold and downpipe for like $100 to give you a little hp. You wouldn't even notice it was there as far as looking at it and listening to it.

cut your bellows tube off the end of your intake(it's in the fenderwel)

port match your intake/exhaust manifolds. Might be a little much for you but it's there if you feel like it.

put an icebag over your intake before the race to get the intake temps down

put your front tires to around 25psi and your rears to like 35-40.

shift as fast as possible

if all else fails hide a dry 30 shot of nitrous

Well I am going to be 19 in a month and 2 days and he just turned 20 a week ago. I weight between 100 and 110 (depending on how much I eat that week) and he is like 135 (or atleast when i met him, hes getting a lil more muscle because I make him workout lol). Where would I get the manifold and downpipe at? Maybe just get one of them because I dont have $100 to spend. And I heard from a retarded friend with a civic that the fenderwel (sp?) has the coldest, densest air... Is that true or would it be better to remove the top of the airbox like someone else said?
Old 09-25-2007, 06:49 PM

some cai do go down into the inner fender. other intakes are sri and they are just on the side of the motor.

removing the top of the air box would probably be better if you just did it for the run. but put it back on later as im sure you know....
Old 09-25-2007, 06:56 PM

Well I am going to be 19 in a month and 2 days and he just turned 20 a week ago. I weight between 100 and 110 (depending on how much I eat that week) and he is like 135 (or atleast when i met him, hes getting a lil more muscle because I make him workout lol). Where would I get the manifold and downpipe at? Maybe just get one of them because I dont have $100 to spend. And I heard from a retarded friend with a civic that the fenderwel (sp?) has the coldest, densest air... Is that true or would it be better to remove the top of the airbox like someone else said?
wow you're dating a french fry!! j/k

anyway yea the fender does have cooler air than the engine bay. If you just cut off the bellows tube then you'll still be getting air from there. You'll just be getting rid of the restriction the bellows tube provides. It's mostly just there to quiet the intake down.

I say screw it. Just race him. Cut weight outta your car if you want. But don't load him up. That's just unsportswoman-like conduct. Your mouth wrote a check, time to cash it(I've been waiting to say that )

Quick Reply: mods