2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Moving SAI point of connection from header to downpipe/exhaust.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 04:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving SAI point of connection from header to downpipe/exhaust.....

For those of you that don't know me....nice to meet you....
I have long been looking for a way to get rid of SAI since it plagues us from getting new headers. I am a mechanical engineer, and after several nights of puzzling till my puzzler was sore (the grinch) I have come up with a different solution for us SAI plagued people.

The way SAI works for those of us that don't know is the fresh clean air is pumped out of the airbox, through an air pump and into the header. There, when the coolant is between 40 and 140 degrees, the SAI reduces HCO emissions. Granted it weighs some, but the biggest drawback is the fact that we cannot upgrade our headers since the SAI injects there and none of the upgrades allow for SAI airflow.

Here's what my plan is - Calculate the concentration between the mixed airflow's at the point it crosses the first 02 sensor before the catalytic. As far as I know at least, if there are any other sensors in the exhaust between the headers and the catalytic let me know!!!!! The idea is any of us that get new headers or downpipes or high flow cats and exhaust, we know based on the sensor location how far up and what size to tap in an air fitting and connect it to the air pump. This allows us to get bigger exhausts without getting CEL and keeping our legal stuff. I'll publish a PDF on this sight to let you all know where to design the SAI point on the exhaust once I get done....this will help all of us that can't drive to MAINE for a reflash(I live in vegas )

Here's what I need to get this done -
Pics of 05/06/07 headers unless they're the same
I need a size of the SAI hole at that header. I need the SMALLEST hole diameter.
-this will help me know at what pressure this air is pushed into the exhaust stream
I need location of air entry hole in header
-a picture should be sufficient, I can guestimate the distance from the downpipe connector
I need diameter of the header where it connects the downpipe
-this gives me air flow rate needed
I need diameter/length of the downpipe
-this is the combined length of the downpipe from the motor and under the body.
I need diameter/length of the exhaust from the downpipe connection to the first 02 sensor

If i can get this, I can provide everyone with a tap in point for their SAI and their new exhaust no matter what the size. If I can make a general rule for all SAI's no matter the year, it'll be even easier for all of us. Anyone helping me with this would be AWESOME!
-this gives me total airflow speed through the first 02 sensor.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i mentioned this in a thread earlier. The ZZP header was designed for a 2.0sc, so it has an extra bung in the header that is not used in the 2.2. i was thinking maybe it would be possible to have the air injected into this bung on the 2.2 cobalts since i hear that we do not have this additional O2 sensor. It would still be at the header, pre-cat, and pre-O2 sensor, and not very far from the factory location, meaning you wouldn't need a lot of additional tubing.