mrz performance pulleys

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mrz performance pulleys

what results would i get from these on my 07 base g5 with gmpp intake
Old 07-07-2009, 12:57 AM

there is no dyno on the mrz pulleys honestly.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:03 AM

Its not a power mod, its an efficiency mod. You benefit from less rotational mass, byproducts being faster revs and possibly better gas mileage. The more you mod the more impact it has, by itself I doubt you would see any difference on the dyno.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:04 AM

yeah but like doesnt faster reving potentially mean going faster?
Old 07-07-2009, 01:06 AM

ok thanks for the info im trying to get my base g5 to perfom good without usind sc/tc or in the long run would it just be cheaper to do that and better?
while trying to spend a little at a time
Old 07-07-2009, 11:09 AM

It allows you to get to higher rev's faster.. its not going to give you any sort of power increase as far I as I know. It only benefits you're acceleration, which is beneficial if what you're looking for is "overall performance".
Just beware if you have a sound system (big subs) the smaller diameter pulley generates less power through the alternator.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:37 AM

I've been considering getting one of these... 07 g5 automatic, it would work right? Quicker acceleration is what I aim for haha
Old 07-07-2009, 11:43 AM

i have both pulleys and i love them both... you can notice the quicker revs but when it come to gains there are none, those pulleys dont give you hp/tq but help free up lost hp/tq but like Rodimus_Prime said you need to be modded too...

i hope that made sense
Old 07-07-2009, 11:45 AM

The MRZ pulleys are a good mod but in my honest opinion would buy them last they won't make a big difference with just an intake. The added acceleration is there though it's just not huge. I would recommend getting the 2.4 intake manifold first its easily the best bang for the buck mod for a 2.2 other than cams and nitrous (can't compare to the gains but is a quicker install) then build an exhaust then go with the pulleys that way they would be more noticeable. And yes before anyone asks no I do not have an h/dp/e yet on my car because I can never find anything I satisfied with yet however if I started over with modding my L61 that would have been the order I went.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:53 AM

Whats the difference between the lighweight and underdrive pulleys? 1 is lighter, 1 has less diameter? But they both do the same thing?

And This:
http://mrzperformance.vstore.ca/prod...roducts_id/143
with this:
http://mrzperformance.vstore.ca/prod...roducts_id/150

will work right?

I plan on doing something like this after i get headers/dp/2.4 intake mani
Old 07-07-2009, 11:55 AM

^ do you have a sound system or plan on one?
Old 07-07-2009, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 214 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by StrongIslandBalter
yeah but like doesnt faster reving potentially mean going faster?
yes but your not adding power to get their your utilitzing what you have.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by CobaltLs_14
^ do you have a sound system or plan on one?
nope, just the stock 8"(I think...) pioneer sub/system.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:08 PM

the stock size is good so you dont stress your electrical system if you ever decide to upgrade to subs or to a system or under lighting and all that stuff the UDP will stress the electrical if you have that stuff or plan on it but the UDP is a lot lighter so it just depends on your plan with your car...
Old 07-07-2009, 04:27 PM

So say if I get the underdrive pulley I can't do a sub and amp?Right now I have a pioneer cd player,will that cause a problem if I buy the underdrive pulley?
Old 07-07-2009, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by burzumaske20
So say if I get the underdrive pulley I can't do a sub and amp?Right now I have a pioneer cd player,will that cause a problem if I buy the underdrive pulley?
Nope shouldn't cause a problem as long as it isn't like high output or something I think UDP's aren't recommended for people with 500w or greater systems or something like that idk. I have the Cobalt-Addiction UDP and the MRZ Alternator Pulley and also run a Jensen 7.5" flip-up touch screen and I've never had any problems.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:52 PM

Whats the diffence between he UDP and the lighweight crank pulley...
Old 07-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

search button? under drive pulley is smaller in diameter, lightweight is just that..... lighter weight. common sense> you
Old 07-07-2009, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by 07MetallicSC
search button? under drive pulley is smaller in diameter, lightweight is just that..... lighter weight. common sense> you
Actually I posted that in post 10, but no one confirmed it to me. Reading > you.
And which one would be better? Is the UDP worth the extra 40 bucks (for a belt)?
Old 07-07-2009, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by NJjon
Actually I posted that in post 10, but no one confirmed it to me. Reading > you.
And which one would be better? Is the UDP worth the extra 40 bucks (for a belt)?
Underdrive is better because it will give you faster revs and you don't have to pay $40 bucks for a belt just go to autozone or napa and ask for a belt inch shorter than stock I can't remeber the size off my head but that's what I did and I got a goodyear razorback for like $16 bucks or something close to that.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 1niceLS
Underdrive is better because it will give you faster revs and you don't have to pay $40 bucks for a belt just go to autozone or napa and ask for a belt inch shorter than stock I can't remeber the size off my head but that's what I did and I got a goodyear razorback for like $16 bucks or something close to that.
how is the under drive better when it does the same thing that the light weight does, and light weight you can still run a stereo safely. and correct me if im wrong but isnt the only other belt made for our cars other than stock the gms2 belt since its double ribbed?
lol reading> me NJjon your funny. If you searched you wouldnt have to ask the question thats been asked 4.3 million times. gaining respect here isnt done by trying to insult your elders
Old 07-07-2009, 08:42 PM

how is the under drive better when it does the same thing that the light weight does, and light weight you can still run a stereo safely. and correct me if im wrong but isnt the only other belt made for our cars other than stock the gms2 belt since its double ribbed?
lol reading> me NJjon your funny. If you searched you wouldnt have to ask the question thats been asked 4.3 million times. gaining respect here isnt done by trying to insult your elders
Because the underdrive is even lighter than the lightweight and it is smaller in diamter hence faster revs thats why it is better but not by much. Also I own an L61 not an LSJ thats why I have a different belt other than gms2. Also I believe underdrive would be greater for a sc or tc because I believe it does something with helping boost or something idk im not a f/i guy so I have no clue you would have to read up on that one. That answer your questions?
Old 07-07-2009, 09:00 PM

I never like the mod myself, I have done it on two other cars and yes there is more up and go.

It is more obvious gain wise on lower output motors.

On a Cobalt, you might notice a little bit of an edge but not much.

I don't like the mod because on the Daytona, the pulley broke over time.
I am told it is because unless it is dead nuts on, there will always be a little wobble.
This causes more wear on the crank.

The heavy crank pulley is there for a reason, it dampens vibration.
The lighter pulley wont dampen nearly as well.
There is also the possibility of the offset install to damage the motor.

It took a year and a half for my pulley to crack.
The motor had rod knock a year after that.

Yes, the motor "might" already have been on the way out.
It ran great before, and after the pulley. But shortly after it...

I ask myself everytime this mod is pondered, "is it worth the difference to find out the hard way if my motor will be negatively affected?"

On the old 1.6 SOHC POS Geo Storm I had, the up and go difference was the same as if I went from having the AC on, to having the AC off. Not much difference on a Cobalt, but it was ALOT for that Storm.

I would rather get some light weight rims, or lose the spare tire.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:18 PM

As a matter of fact, I did 2 searches, one for the lightweight pulley and one for the udp, and I still couldn't figure out the difference (performance wise) so I asked 4.3 million times. Or 2. And I'm not trying to gain any respect from anybody, this site is a valuable resource to me, not a social networking site. If I happen to post here and there it's just because I have nothing else to do. Also, as an "elder" member, don't you think you should help out the new guys, instead of trying to scare them away? I wasn't treating you any differently from how you treated me.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 1niceLS
Because the underdrive is even lighter than the lightweight and it is smaller in diamter hence faster revs thats why it is better but not by much. Also I own an L61 not an LSJ thats why I have a different belt other than gms2. Also I believe underdrive would be greater for a sc or tc because I believe it does something with helping boost or something idk im not a f/i guy so I have no clue you would have to read up on that one. That answer your questions?
Ah yes then you would be able to get a different belt. Underdrive I dont think would provide anything more than one lb of boost if any would be seen at all. Thats a good question though id like to know, even though i plan on going with a stock sized LW.

Originally Posted by Mike85220
I never like the mod myself, I have done it on two other cars and yes there is more up and go.

It is more obvious gain wise on lower output motors.

On a Cobalt, you might notice a little bit of an edge but not much.

I don't like the mod because on the Daytona, the pulley broke over time.
I am told it is because unless it is dead nuts on, there will always be a little wobble.
This causes more wear on the crank.

The heavy crank pulley is there for a reason, it dampens vibration.
The lighter pulley wont dampen nearly as well.
There is also the possibility of the offset install to damage the motor.

It took a year and a half for my pulley to crack.
The motor had rod knock a year after that.

Yes, the motor "might" already have been on the way out.
It ran great before, and after the pulley. But shortly after it...

I ask myself everytime this mod is pondered, "is it worth the difference to find out the hard way if my motor will be negatively affected?"

On the old 1.6 SOHC POS Geo Storm I had, the up and go difference was the same as if I went from having the AC on, to having the AC off. Not much difference on a Cobalt, but it was ALOT for that Storm.

I would rather get some light weight rims, or lose the spare tire.
Our cars are balanced internally the crank pulley on these cars does not effect anything. GM even sells a light weight crank pulley. Its super expensive tho....

Originally Posted by NJjon
As a matter of fact, I did 2 searches, one for the lightweight pulley and one for the udp, and I still couldn't figure out the difference (performance wise) so I asked 4.3 million times. Or 2. And I'm not trying to gain any respect from anybody, this site is a valuable resource to me, not a social networking site. If I happen to post here and there it's just because I have nothing else to do. Also, as an "elder" member, don't you think you should help out the new guys, instead of trying to scare them away? I wasn't treating you any differently from how you treated me.
You can only help out so many new guys by beating around the bush telling them to go search, then you eventually have to take that road with them.

Last edited by 07MetallicSC; 07-08-2009 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost