2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

My 2.2L Build Thread (300+ hp)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maven
Yes of courcse Ive heard of variations, that was kind of my point even though I didnt say it, obviously the Balt doesnt weigh under 2700lbs, so the scale was clearly off, and by about 10% which is A LOT.
At my last job, I worked at a salvage yard and when I weighed my car it came right at 2900 lbs.

Keep in mind mine is a sedan and weighs a little more, but from other cobalt reviews I've never heard of a weight under 2900. Hell most reviews put it at around 2990-3000 for the SS.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by brandon2.2
really? good to know man thanks.

they are forged, what about them exactly makes them bad for boost applications??

I think they would have to be good for at least 350hp....at least

sure boost is different than NA, but you're just forcing air in, as far as the forces acting on a piston, I dont think 300hp NA is really different than 300hp FI

I may be wrong, what would fail on them?
I think what he was refering to was for good boost, medium turbo applications you need to lower your compression ratio to force more air and fuel in there...

The compression ratio from the factory will be different for naturally aspirated engines and boosted engines. For example, a stock Honda S2000 has a compression ratio of 11.1:1, whereas a turbocharged Subaru Impreza WRX has a compression ratio of 8.0:1.

There are numerous factors that affect the maximum allowable compression ratio. There is no single correct answer for every application. Generally, compression ratio should be set as high as feasible without encountering detonation at the maximum load condition. Compression ratio that is too low will result in an engine that is a bit sluggish in off-boost operation. However, if it is too high this can lead to serious knock-related engine problems.

Factors that influence the compression ratio include: fuel anti-knock properties (octane rating), boost pressure, intake air temperature, combustion chamber design, ignition timing, valve events, and exhaust backpressure. Many modern normally-aspirated engines have well-designed combustion chambers that, with appropriate tuning, will allow modest boost levels with no change to compression ratio. For higher power targets with more boost , compression ratio should be adjusted to compensate.

There are a handful of ways to reduce compression ratio, some better than others. Least desirable is adding a spacer between the block and the head. These spacers reduce the amount a "quench" designed into an engine's combustion chambers, and can alter cam timing as well. Spacers are, however, relatively simple and inexpensive.

A better option, if more expensive and time-consuming to install, is to use lower-compression pistons. These will have no adverse effects on cam timing or the head's ability to seal, and allow proper quench regions in the combustion chambers.
Further reading on the subject:
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...ech102.html?#d
Old 10-16-2008, 08:13 PM

Lower compression ratios are safer because you are less likely to detonate.

The reason why he's going with a higher compression is because it will produce more power, but I hope he understands the risks involved with this. I've seen a couple of people detonate at much lower compressions. Our NA engines do NOT like boost, they aren't built for boost, and many times things break.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:30 PM

yea I understand what I am attempting to do, I just need a good tune, I think trifecta will be able to help me out just fine

I dont think I could count on the M62 to make enough boost (reliably) if I went with the 8.9:1 compression. What do you guys think? I am rebuilding it with ceramic bearings and a new coupler, I'll be using dual pass and the ZZP heat exchanger, I was going to use a 2.8" pulley, but I guess I could use a 2.7 and go with 8.9:1, I dont know about going with a pulley smaller than 2.7 though, even with an improved M62

I see now what that guy meant about the pistons, just because they were high comp, not because the pistons themselves cant take it

what do you guys think? I have debated over the low comp/high boost or high comp/low boost for a while, I had a long conversation with my dad, we agreed I would probably be happier with higher comp, from what I understand, throttle response would be better, I wouldnt have to beat up AND HEAT UP the M62 either, but tuning might be easier with lower compression and I could maybe still make around 300hp
Old 10-17-2008, 04:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
see if you can get a cstom set in 9.5:1. Thats what i'd try and do. Diamond i think makes custom pistons...
Old 10-17-2008, 05:04 AM
Jn2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You must have gotten the Super Secret Super Special Super Lighweight Race version of the Cobalt.

I have NEVER seen or heard of a stock Cobalt that weighed less than about 2850, regardless of how much fuel was in it.
mine weigh'd in at 2780 with me in the car, mine has no power options, and i dont way that much, 115lbs, i weigh'd in at 2850 with a optima yellow and my tools in the trunks this last time i went back
Old 10-17-2008, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by tru2nrtt777
I think what he was refering to was for good boost, medium turbo applications you need to lower your compression ratio to force more air and fuel in there...

nop, never wondered why 10:1 wisecos are 50gr lighter than the 8.9 ones ?

they are a LOT less reinforced than the 8.9 boost ones, perfectly engineered for NA applications, but not for boost... of course they will still work better than stock items...
Old 10-17-2008, 05:28 AM

well im going for the 300whp as well....currently working on mine...i have all the stock **** out...and im currently installing all the new ****...check my sig so you can get an idea of what im doing
Old 10-17-2008, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by alanoo
nop, never wondered why 10:1 wisecos are 50gr lighter than the 8.9 ones ?

they are a LOT less reinforced than the 8.9 boost ones, perfectly engineered for NA applications, but not for boost... of course they will still work better than stock items...
50 grams honestly isnt a whole lot when compared to the total weight of the piston. Maybe theyre lighter due to larger valve reliefs on a higher CR piston? that could easily make up for 50g. Though in all honesty i dont even know if they have valve reliefs or not.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:48 AM

No valve reliefs on the 10:1 "higher" CR ones

50 grams is almost 20% of the total weight of the piston, not a whole, but not negligible
Old 10-17-2008, 08:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I wouldnt judge Alanoo on post count.
The Wiseco pistons are very lightweight pieces, youre unlikely to find another piston that weighs less, even much smaller Honda pistons (~81mm vs 86mm) weigh more in many cases.

To be sure the Wiseco pistons are very high quality, and will outlast stock under almost any circumstances, but if you are looking to boost at 10:1 you may want to search around for pistons better suited to that application.

Just because two engine(NA vs boost) make 300hp doesnt mean the loads on the pistons are the same.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:09 AM

He is correct. I almost bought a set of 10:1 JE Pistons from someone here on the board but i ended up calling JE with the job number and they told me that the pistons were NA only and could NOT support boost. He said they were good for about 250-300hp NA and if they saw boost, they wouldnt last very long. JE Makes some good pistons and i would imagine as good quality as wiseco is, they probably follow the same guidelines. Custom pistons from wiseco are only $125 each, so it would cost you $500 for a set of 10:1 FI pistons. When you blow your engine you tend to be VERY picky and precise about what you buy and let me tell you, its worth spending the little extra time calling wiseco and finding out the truth then just assuming.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
50 grams honestly isnt a whole lot when compared to the total weight of the piston.

It is when the piston weighs well under 300 grams to start.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:04 PM

good info, thats why I started this thread.

I may just use the 8.9:1 pistons, but I'm not sure, might just get custom 10:1 pistons like you guys had mentioned.

I have another question, Does anyone know for sure on here, whether or not using the LSJ alternator on my engine will prevent me from having to cut one of the ribs off of my belt???

I can buy an alt and bracket right now, maybe Maven knows
Old 10-17-2008, 05:45 PM

^^ you need the LSJ alternator pulley, tensioner pulley, crankshaft pulley, AC condenser pulley, and idler pulley

course you need the idler and tensioner pulley to make this work in the first place...
Old 10-17-2008, 05:50 PM

What is the idler pulley for, anyways?
Old 10-17-2008, 05:57 PM

nothing really....its just another pulley in the system to make the belt fit, but if you dont have the LSJ idler pulley, the belt wont fit, as the LSJ idler is a slightly smaller diameter than the L61 idler, and the L61 idler is not ribbed either.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:00 PM

Gotcha. I just wasn't sure if that was some completely different pulley that the SS had. lol
Old 10-17-2008, 06:42 PM

ok, so If I just cut off one rib on the belt I dont need to replace those pulleys then??

thats what the 2.4 and 2.2 guys did that have supercharged their cars
Old 10-17-2008, 07:00 PM

and they will snap belts prematurely.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:17 PM

thats my worry

another question, I was planning on using 60# injectors, will these be fine, I know they should be enough, I dont know if 42# would be enough or as easy to tune with

AND almost forgot, what should I do about my fuel pump, I have read previously that I will need a better fuel pump supplying fuel from the tank, should I just get some kind of a booster? what are guys using? inline pumps or replacing the stock one completely?

Last edited by brandon2.2; 10-18-2008 at 12:53 AM.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by brandon2.2
I have another question, Does anyone know for sure on here, whether or not using the LSJ alternator on my engine will prevent me from having to cut one of the ribs off of my belt???
Yes so long as you get an LSJ crankshaft pulley and a/c compressor clutch

^^ you need the LSJ alternator pulley, tensioner pulley, crankshaft pulley, AC condenser pulley, and idler pulley

course you need the idler and tensioner pulley to make this work in the first place...
What he said, except its "compressor" not "condenser"
as the LSJ idler is a slightly smaller diameter than the L61 idler, and the L61 idler is not ribbed either.
The L61 doesnt have an idler pulley.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:55 AM

Yes so long as you get an LSJ crankshaft pulley and a/c compressor clutch

What he said, except its "compressor" not "condenser"

The L61 doesnt have an idler pulley.
...yes? the L61 doesnt have a tensioner pulley...
the stock L61 idler is a non ribbed pulley....unless im reversing the names

http://www.gminsidenews.com/ECOTEC20L.jpg
You have the crank pulley, then the idler pulley, then the tensioner pulley, then the alternator pulley, then the blower pulley, then the AC compressor pulley

http://www.speedmafia.com/images/2-2...2012499679.jpg
the l61 has the crank pulley, the idler pulley, the alternator pulley, and the AC pulley

To run the LSJ belt with 1 rib cut off, you need the LSJ tensioner, and the LSJ idler
To run the LSJ belt with all 6 ribs, you need the LSJ tensioner, the LSJ idler, the LSJ crank, the LSJ AC pulley, and the LSJ alternator pulley

Maven, i know ur an uber expert...but its my understanding the tensioner pulley is the one adding tension (makes sense), and the idler pulley is the one that adds no tension, and serves no purpose other than to route the belt in that direction
if the above is true, then both ecotecs have an idler pulley...wouldnt they?
Old 10-18-2008, 11:30 AM

How does the official GMPP L61 supercharger kit works ?

A 5 rib pulley on the M62 or converting the whole thing to 6-ribs ?
Old 10-18-2008, 01:08 PM

Maven, i know ur an uber expert...but its my understanding the tensioner pulley is the one adding tension (makes sense), and the idler pulley is the one that adds no tension, and serves no purpose other than to route the belt in that direction
if the above is true, then both ecotecs have an idler pulley...wouldnt they?
Yes the tensioner "tensions" the belt, pretty obvious, they did a good job naming that one. The idler pulley if equipped with one doesnt add tension, AND it redirects the belt.
L61s only have a tensioner, they dont have an idler.

All the pulleys have a purpose, they dont use extra ones because its a waste of money(so no idler on NA/turbo engines)check out my mad artisism and these bitching diagrams

Quick Reply: My 2.2L Build Thread (300+ hp)