2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

My airbox mod

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's with everyone wanting their cars so loud? I like to actually be able to hear myself think when I'm driving...
Old 07-06-2006, 08:24 PM

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by PenguinPIE
can you give us a little more detail on this mod....or maybe a "how to" .... im hoping to mod mine as well

Don't bother, this is as Ghetto as it gets..
Old 07-06-2006, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by PenguinPIE
then how does removing the extra tubings make the air denser?

Oh, It wont in this case, belive me, this goes against all logic..

This is a Piece Of **** Mod that will actually cause you greif and reduce the performance.

1. No More Cold Air.
2. No More Protection from Water.
3. No More Scavenging of dirt prior to getting to the filter.
4. No More Happy Service People at the Dealer when they see your "Mad Modding Skillz"
Old 07-06-2006, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by RedCobaltLs
Hi i just got done doin a simple mod. At the bottom of the airbox i drill out the squares with 1/2 dim. bit. Then reset the cel for like 30min. I notice its much more louder ...YESSSS... an theres more pick up. Pluse my mpg went up good!
INHO, this is a terrible idea. You go through a puddle, and your toast. You affectivly made a syphon to suck up water! Air boxes are there for a reason. They do extensive testing to make sure it lasts!

I know GM specicifcally designes thier boxes to withstand 14 mintues of thier deluge sprayer (a hellish downpour from all sides, even the bottom) At least CAI manufactures take this in to account to some degree and atleast attempemt to keep it off the ground. The stock takes air from under the fender, I don't think you can get much ebtter than that as far as water and cold air goes.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:43 PM

What no one seems to realize is, just slapping-on a CAI or hacking the hell out of your airbox is going to do NOTHING for your engine's performance- nothing positive, anyway. These are microprocessor-controlled, fuel-injected, normally-aspirated 4-cylinder engines- NOT carbureted V8's. They are set-up from the factory to operate within certain perameters, and to respond in certain ways to changes in the environment, driving, load, etc. Just giving them 'colder' charge air or 'opening-up' the exhaust isn't automatically going to give you more power. If the computer is not set-up to accept these changes ('tuned'), it won't help your performance, and it might even harm it.

As to those who claim a CAI has given them more horsepower on an N/A 2.2- let's see your baseline and post-mod dyno sheets. I'm willing to bet that the 'seat-of-the-pants' dyno and the real dyno say two different things. Also, the extra noise coming from the CAI has a disconcerting effect- which people tend to interpret as "MORE POWER!!"
Old 07-06-2006, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by BlueThunder2006
What no one seems to realize is, just slapping-on a CAI or hacking the hell out of your airbox is going to do NOTHING for your engine's performance- nothing positive, anyway. These are microprocessor-controlled, fuel-injected, normally-aspirated 4-cylinder engines- NOT carbureted V8's. They are set-up from the factory to operate within certain perameters, and to respond in certain ways to changes in the environment, driving, load, etc. Just giving them 'colder' charge air or 'opening-up' the exhaust isn't automatically going to give you more power. If the computer is not set-up to accept these changes ('tuned'), it won't help your performance, and it might even harm it.

As to those who claim a CAI has given them more horsepower on an N/A 2.2- let's see your baseline and post-mod dyno sheets. I'm willing to bet that the 'seat-of-the-pants' dyno and the real dyno say two different things. Also, the extra noise coming from the CAI has a disconcerting effect- which people tend to interpret as "MORE POWER!!"
The colder air WILL give increases, because it will lower IAT's, which means more o2 molecules, and the ECU's fuel maps take in account IAT's, and will increase fuel, and also you will not knock/increasin timing because of the colder air charge.

But your right, holes in an airbox will get nothing. And the noise isn't really different on a Naturally asspired engine.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by NoRemorse
The colder air WILL give increases, because it will lower IAT's, which means more o2 molecules, and the ECU's fuel maps take in account IAT's, and will increase fuel, and also you will not knock/increasin timing because of the colder air charge.

But your right, holes in an airbox will get nothing. And the noise isn't really different on a Naturally asspired engine.
True enough. But still, are we talking $250 worth of horsepower? I think not. And remember- by increasing fuel, you decrease your gas mileage, which for me was reason #1 for buying this car...

As to the sound- I've witnessed CAI-equipped N/A engines first-hand. Trust me, it's significantly louder inside the car under throttle, almost annoyingly-so IMO.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:58 PM

What's with everyone wanting their cars so loud? I like to actually be able to hear myself think when I'm driving...

do you turn down the radio when looking at houses for the correct address??? i bet you do!
Old 07-07-2006, 06:12 AM

True enough. But still, are we talking $250 worth of horsepower? I think not. And remember- by increasing fuel, you decrease your gas mileage, which for me was reason #1 for buying this car...

You decrease it only if you drive it like every red light is a 1/4 Mile
Old 07-07-2006, 12:09 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if anything, just take off your resinator...
Old 07-07-2006, 04:21 PM

I don't get what the big deal is with intakes. I dunno, maybe I'm just weird...
Old 07-07-2006, 05:44 PM

As to the sound- I've witnessed CAI-equipped N/A engines first-hand. Trust me, it's significantly louder inside the car under throttle, almost annoyingly-so IMO.
Well, the CAI on the LSJ makes it SCREAM compared to stock. As far as fuel maps go and gas millage. With the same tune, colder air will not give you worse gas millage, it only alys you to use more if you WANT. If you drive with the same acceloration (although, the same accel. may now require less throttle) your gas millage will not be affected at all.

It will take a little bit of driving for the stft and ltft to learn the new values though (fuel trims)
Old 07-07-2006, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Wyoming_Bass
do you turn down the radio when looking at houses for the correct address??? i bet you do!

hahahahahahaha I do that when i am lost had to after i seen the post
Old 07-13-2006, 01:40 AM

Isn't this a performance section? Why is everyone so concerned with the sound you get? Sound doesn't = Performance. In some cases its true but most often not with simply an intake or exhaust. Don't get me wrong. I am totally for a CAI. No, a CAI probably won't deliver the hp gains that the manufacturer claims but when you start adding that with a header, catback, cams, lighter pulleys, and so on. It does all start adding up. But back to the thread. I think it's awesome the RedCobaltLS posted this airbox mod. Take his mod for what it is and don't bash it. If you don't like it don't do it.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:07 PM

The comment about more air and more fuel equals less mileage is incorrect. How do you make more horsepower with the same displacement? make it more efficient. How do you do this? remove restriction -in the intake, exhaust, and heads with porting if you really want to.

Less restriction means more power because the air in the intake is going where its supposed to rather than getting caught in a mess of pipes or on the dryer hose rubber connections or in the maze of the air silencer or in the castings in the ports of the heads. and the exhaust isnt slowing down because of the castings in the ports or the exhaust manifold (tubular headers fix this problem) or an overly restrictive exhaust systems.

more efficient use of fuel (and air) means that the foot isn't so far into the pedal and the fuel economy goes up.

unless you are fjording creeks above the wheels with the cobalt, then holes in the bottom of the airbox aren't going to siphon water into the intake. look where the bottom of the airbox is. on top of the fender. so, thats a lot of water in a lot of electronics before you suck that full. it might not be cold air since its just from the engine compartment, but its more air. and if that 1.75 inch hole or whatever it is at the front of the airbox is what's causing the restriction, then more air into the filter area is going to increase airflow to the entire engine.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:16 PM

i love how ppl always come in this section talking about the SS
apparently they cant read forum titles
Old 07-14-2006, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by AlbertanCobalt
The comment about more air and more fuel equals less mileage is incorrect. How do you make more horsepower with the same displacement? make it more efficient. How do you do this? remove restriction -in the intake, exhaust, and heads with porting if you really want to.

Less restriction means more power because the air in the intake is going where its supposed to rather than getting caught in a mess of pipes or on the dryer hose rubber connections or in the maze of the air silencer or in the castings in the ports of the heads. and the exhaust isnt slowing down because of the castings in the ports or the exhaust manifold (tubular headers fix this problem) or an overly restrictive exhaust systems.

more efficient use of fuel (and air) means that the foot isn't so far into the pedal and the fuel economy goes up.

unless you are fjording creeks above the wheels with the cobalt, then holes in the bottom of the airbox aren't going to siphon water into the intake. look where the bottom of the airbox is. on top of the fender. so, thats a lot of water in a lot of electronics before you suck that full. it might not be cold air since its just from the engine compartment, but its more air. and if that 1.75 inch hole or whatever it is at the front of the airbox is what's causing the restriction, then more air into the filter area is going to increase airflow to the entire engine.
So I suppose Injen and all the other after-market manufacturers know more about maximzing power and efficency on this engine than the engineers who designed and built it? Well, maybe. But there are 2 good reasons why I will never put a $200+ piece of aftermarket tubing on my car...

1) It's not going to make any 'appreciable' power gains (which I don't care about anyway)

2) I really don't want to listen to it every time I merge onto a highway, pull out from a light, climb a hill, etc. I drove a truck with a noisy engine and loud tires for 5 years. I actually like being able to hear myself think.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:24 PM

then the performance section isn't the section for you, cause money= hp.

and injen can make a better intake (if better means more power) because they dont have to care about keeping costs down because people will buy them, they don't worry about making intakes quiet for people like you who may complain about hearing an engine breathe, and they don't have to make a cast or formed piece that has to be mass produced in seconds.

if gm is so good at power and efficiency, then why dont all the cobalts come with the gmpp honed manifold and a ported head? cause honing and porting a cast piece takes a lot of time and effort and they aren't about to make that sacrifice. look what head porting costs in the world and you will see why gm, although they could make it most efficient from factory, are not going to do it because a small minority is going to notice or care anyway.

in case you haven't noticed, nascar 'stock' cars are not stock at all, nor are any race cars. a well engineered road car is not the same as a well engineered race car. they are engineered for different things, and in the world of 2.2L performance, gm engineers were making a car that would please the masses. injen, jbp, and westers make it possible to have a little bit of race in with that road car
Old 07-14-2006, 11:51 PM

You're right, I didn't buy a 2.2 with the delusion of making a 'performance' car out of it. The 2.2 Cobalt is an excellent, efficient, reasonably-powerful daily driver- and that is the purpose for which mine was intended. The idea was for this car to last for over 100K, and well after it is paid-off. That's not going to happen if I start screwing with the engine, so I'm leaving it alone.

The only reason I say anything in these threads is that I see a LOT of posts on here concerning things like intakes and cat-back exhausts, and people talking about getting 'real' power out of them. Well, I guess that's a relative term. But seriously- is a 2-3 HP gain REALLY worth $200? Maybe so, if you have $200 lying around and nothing better to do with it. I don't.

And I wasn't bashing the guy for modifying his airbox; hell, if he likes the sound of it more power to him. A lot of guys on the S10 forums had their airboxes 'swissed' too. Gains were small of course, but it's a 'free' mod so that doesn't really matter. Honestly, at one point I thought about doing some minor mods to my car. But after driving a ZR2 S10 to South Carolina and back, you kind of lose the desire to drive a noisy vehicle. At least, I did.

I've said my piece. To each his own...
Old 07-15-2006, 12:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the resonator out in my airbox and it sounds great, I also have a K&N filter and have knowticed a performance increase since these mods, I have slips to prove it too

I ran 16.8 totally stock and with the airbox mod I ran 16.3

I think that speaks for itself