2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

My write up-GMPP bumper to intake tube

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 09:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by driver77
I was in a friend of mine's toyota echo with a similar setup (might not have had a filter) that died when we went through a puddle.
Of course the puddle was about 2.5 feet deep...

Wouldn't a set up like this make the GMPP cai intake tubing a waste? Why not just run it straight into the throttle body?
Way too much air... your engine will throw a Lean Code. Mind did this when the tubing on the GMPP separated because the coupler between the box and the tube is so damn short

Originally Posted by umrdyldo
P.S. I went looking to do this and without that bumper insert you are screwed. My 06 doesn't have opening in the bumper so it's a no go. That's okay though. Just a heads up
Yea, I have this too. I was gonna take a dremel to part of the backing just to open it up. If you leave the rides across in intact you can open the area between and have some airflow.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:48 PM

well im about to take mine out
cause i've been running alot hotter, and now it seems im running rich the car just doesn't seem to act right with it after awhile, atleast mine isn't.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i also noticed an increase in temperature when idling with the intake tube..i'm not going to take it off i am just wondering wtf is going on lol it is faster, and cooler when going but hotter when idling..
Old 08-28-2007, 06:55 PM

what kind of temps do you soo at idle?
Old 08-28-2007, 10:25 PM

As for a filter in the tube u can just use a couple pieces of wire mesh. different sizes. to slow and "catch" any water and air debris while still allowing air flow. As for the car idling hotter it may be because the tube mounts directly to the inlet of the box. and the bottom of the tube is at the ground. so the air thats comin in is hot air being heated by the pavement, and any breeze probably isnt gonna b from the ground. u can try leaving the tubing in but disconnecting it from the box, leave about an inch between the tube and the airbox so any air coming in can go through the tube (while moving) and through the inlet on the airbox (while idling).

Or. it could be because the tube is heated from the engine while in there. so while idling, any slow moving air coming up the tube is heated by the time it gets to the box.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:02 AM

This confirms what I thought about the 10.1:1 compression ratio and the way the Cobalt's intake is set at optimum with it's current program and 87 octane. The intake side is about as much air as a stock programmed 2.2 is going to want without making it going lean. A 10.1:1 compression ratio is pretty high for 87 octane and the computer is programmed to deal with it with the stock configuration.

With the GMPP intake, I always wondered why they only made their intake so that it boosts hp only 2 hp. They probably factored this situation in in that the intake having any more air than this short ram intake going to the stock tubing will make the 2.2 at WOT run lean.

Of course with tuning, that would not be a problem.

Others with Injen, Dragon or AEM intakes probably have the same rise in temperature, but since it does not exceed the norm and just pushes the temp up quicker, they probably do not mention it because just romping on the gas can do this too. The difference is, there is a borderline lean condition with these intakes apparently without tuning. HP Tuners to my knowledge still has no tuning, so I will wait on an intake and work on the exhaust side first.

I might be wrong, but it all seems to point to this.