2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Need advice with this build

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice with this build

Ok guys, now that tuning is available for us 2.2 balts I have decided to go ahead and do some modding. The car is an 05 balt 2.2 5-speed. I am a college student and got this car for gas. I just got rid of my 99 z28 and will be getting a new cobra when i get out next year, so this is not a performance car for me. I know that anything that increases airflow will increase mileage so thats how im gonna go. DOnt get me wrong, added power is great as well. Here is what im thinking of doing in this order...
intake
header
exhaust
2.4 intake
tune
lighter wheels
Tell me what you guys think. I need help because I really wanna go the cheapest route possible with all of these parts. I also want a quiet exhaust, not something overly loud. I thought about getting the ss/sc exhaust but have heard that its still really restrictive. I guess i am open to used parts as well. Thanks for any and all input on this.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:18 PM

If I were you, and I knew that I was going to be getting a different car within a year, I would only mod slightly, and save my money for a nice downpayment or mods for the new car. If I still wanted to mod the cobalt, it would just be intake and exhaust, nothing too crazy.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:24 PM
Platinum Member

well... interior parts are pretty heavy, lighter seats may help as well as lighter body parts to a lesser extent. If you get runflat tires or like to live on the edge... you could delete your spare tire to save some more weight. I would say that you are on the right track with those mods. GMPP exhaust will breath more than the stock SS/SC exhaust if you want to keep with GM parts so that is an option and isn't super loud if what you are going towards is a more conservative setup.

I would love to see the results in mileage when you finish!

Are you planning on keeping the car once you get the Cobra?

Last edited by SKCobalt; 07-07-2008 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-07-2008, 03:25 PM

well then the cheapest route would be to buy used. check the classified section for help with what your looking for. im sure you can find a few things in there to help you save some money. but remember sometimes cheapest isnt always the best route. good luck!
Old 07-07-2008, 05:25 PM

Yes, the cobalt will be my daily driver until it jsut completely dies which hopefully will be a long time from now. I actually had my electric steering go out last week so i don't even have it right now. Chevy posted a bulletin instead of a recall. Gotta love the dealers.

gotta couple of questions. I have the 15 inch wheels with hub caps. Are there actually any out there lighter than that? Also, anyone think any benefits could come from the tb spacer? THey are cheap so just wondered if anyone had a review on them.

Last edited by BlueCobalt; 07-07-2008 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-07-2008, 05:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BlueCobalt
Yes, the cobalt will be my daily driver until it jsut completely dies which hopefully will be a long time from now. I actually had my electric steering go out last week so i don't even have it right now. Chevy posted a bulletin instead of a recall. Gotta love the dealers.

gotta couple of questions. I have the 15 inch wheels with hub caps. Are there actually any out there lighter than that? Also, anyone think any benefits could come from the tb spacer? THey are cheap so just wondered if anyone had a review on them.
the wheel are steel, get after market alumimun(sp) ones and they should be lighter
Old 07-07-2008, 05:41 PM

Hey BlueCobalt. I'm in the same boat as you. I'm a college student and I've been looking all over the net for intakes and exhausts to allow my 2007 Cobalt LS 5-Speed to breathe better. I've read tons of info on this forum about what I'm looking for, but I am still unsure what to get. The only part of my story that differs from you is that I do want a semi-throaty sound (as throaty as a 4 cylinder can get). I'd sacrifice the sound if all I could get was pissed off bees. Have you any idea parts you'd get (ex. GMPP, Magnaflow, Megan) and where you'd get them (ex. Summit Racing)? Thanks!