2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

New Air Filter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Air Filter?

so i noticed if you replace your stock filter with an aftermarket air filter that u need to unplug the air flow sensor. so now is there a way to shut the check engine light off without having the sensor plugged in? or am i gunna hafta buy more tubing and cut a slit to add the sensor in?
Old 04-08-2005, 04:16 PM

It looks like that is a Mass Airflow sensor which measures how much air is going into the motor. So in reality there is no way to not have that sensor plugged in and air actually going through it.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:48 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should have to touch anything if your just replacing the filter. Just a swap of the paper OEM element for the after market. Or did you buy an entire intake?

At any rate you need that Mass airflow sensor to operate the car correctly. If you new system requires it to be removed I wouldn't use it.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by co-yellow-balt
so i noticed if you replace your stock filter with an aftermarket air filter that u need to unplug the air flow sensor. so now is there a way to shut the check engine light off without having the sensor plugged in? or am i gunna hafta buy more tubing and cut a slit to add the sensor in?

Is it that the CAI made by Gravanna? If it is, can you let us know if you find a solution. I was thinking of ordering that one.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:31 PM

I am guessing its home made or not one for that car since it doesn't accept it. You want to use the sensor, as it makes the engine run right.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:27 PM

From what I have learned... SO far, because I would like to do the same thing possibly...

You can either do the "Drop In Filter" or if you do the entire thing... The pipping has the cut out for the sensor..... AND YES... u neeeeeeeeeeeedddd that sensor there...

I heard, not sure tho, that if your check engine light is on NO MATTER WHAT, when you go for an inspection... THEY WILL FAIL YOU no questions asked... again.. NO matter what!... I am still trying to find out if this is true... and if it is... for what states!...
Old 04-09-2005, 02:13 AM

the computer would prob freak out though without sensing enough air flow
Old 04-09-2005, 07:17 AM

If it doesn't get a reading from the sensor it will use a default setting, which is going to be rich to make sure the motor doesn't run lean.
Old 04-09-2005, 02:53 PM

i fixed it. i will add pics ASAP, i went to the local hardware store to buy 3" piping and cut a slit for the air flow sensor and it works perfectly now, and sounds amazing.ill try and get a clip of what it sounds like...
Old 04-09-2005, 04:29 PM

Cool can't wait to see what you came up with. I am going to do a custom one for mine as well.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:27 PM

good solution

and yes, when u get inspected if any codes are in the history, then you fail
Old 04-09-2005, 08:38 PM

glad we don't have to deal with that inspection crap here. You should see the hoopties on the road. If they tried to make vehicles get inspected here over half would fail I am sure.
Old 04-10-2005, 12:56 AM

actually tested it out tonight on racing some cars and boy does it do wonders. i kicked the **** outta SE-R, 2 Grand prix GTs, 2 eclipses, integra, and a couple civics. MAN DO I LOVE MY COBALT
....oh yeah and heres my idea of my custom license plate... I STING (hint the yellow/black)
Old 04-10-2005, 07:55 AM

Wpwp
Old 04-10-2005, 05:20 PM

Does K&N make a drop-in replacement filter? And if so, what is the part #?
Old 04-10-2005, 08:58 PM

couldn't find one listed on their site.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:04 AM

Hey tx05cobalt, where u at in Texas?
Old 04-11-2005, 12:39 PM

half the cars in MI fail, you need to drive in the metro area more, or out in the country.. i would say 70% would fail on emissions alone, not counting mods or body rules or what ever. The cars here can be scary, but i like to have old cars with huge v8's so it makes it easier to have hotrods or mod your car.

edit: can't spell.
Old 04-30-2005, 02:05 AM

wait so does the gravana intake have a spot for the sensor or no?
Old 08-26-2007, 04:02 PM

air flow sensor

im having the same trouble i went out bought the intake and then bought the other peices to make it the first night it was late and i didnt cut a slit i nteh rubber for the sensor it was running ok and then started stalling out and what not so i threw the oem air filter back on .. the next day cut the slit ... put the sensor in .. now the cars runs great .. never rab nebbetr .. get great gas milages and cars got so much more pep but the engine light it still on .. now the sensor i believe is working .. cause when i didnt have it in the car was running liek **** .. now its in the cars running great and the light wont go out i thought maybe give it a day u know start the car a few times it would go away but its the 3rd 4th day and its not gone i mean the cars running good but still .. what do u think
Old 08-26-2007, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by joe1588
im having the same trouble i went out bought the intake and then bought the other peices to make it the first night it was late and i didnt cut a slit i nteh rubber for the sensor it was running ok and then started stalling out and what not so i threw the oem air filter back on .. the next day cut the slit ... put the sensor in .. now the cars runs great .. never rab nebbetr .. get great gas milages and cars got so much more pep but the engine light it still on .. now the sensor i believe is working .. cause when i didnt have it in the car was running liek **** .. now its in the cars running great and the light wont go out i thought maybe give it a day u know start the car a few times it would go away but its the 3rd 4th day and its not gone i mean the cars running good but still .. what do u think
dont worry itll go away with time.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:16 AM

dont worry itll go away with time.
the other day im sitting there im like ok let me disconnect the battery for a bit then hook it back up maybe the engine light will go off .. so i do that and it does go off im like o ok i guess thats all i had to do .. im driving for about 20 min and it comes back now .. i took the car to get scanned for the first time .. and the car wont even scan they hook it up and it says link error .. idk whats going on .. the car runs great .. but this light will not go off and i cant even get the car scanned even though its gotta be somethign with the sensor
Old 08-28-2007, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by joe1588
the other day im sitting there im like ok let me disconnect the battery for a bit then hook it back up maybe the engine light will go off .. so i do that and it does go off im like o ok i guess thats all i had to do .. im driving for about 20 min and it comes back now .. i took the car to get scanned for the first time .. and the car wont even scan they hook it up and it says link error .. idk whats going on .. the car runs great .. but this light will not go off and i cant even get the car scanned even though its gotta be somethign with the sensor
if the scanner won't link correctly, most of the time it's a problem with the fuse. I think it's the cigg lighter fuse in these cars and if it's not that then it's the horn fuse. Check your owner's manual.

Also recheck everything to make sure you didn't damage the maf sensor when you were messing around with it. Make sure there aren't any major leaks in the intake tubing or else the sensor won't read right either.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Novajoe
if the scanner won't link correctly, most of the time it's a problem with the fuse. I think it's the cigg lighter fuse in these cars and if it's not that then it's the horn fuse. Check your owner's manual.

Also recheck everything to make sure you didn't damage the maf sensor when you were messing around with it. Make sure there aren't any major leaks in the intake tubing or else the sensor won't read right either.
i chked the sensor cause thats what i thought it was first i thought i damaged it but when i changed the intake the first night i left the sensor out and ran the car for 15 min and it was stalling out banging through gears .. but the cars not stalling its running smooth but the light still wont go out i dont think the seneor is busted and i know its in the right way .. should i just take it to an actaul chevy dealer and see if they can like reset the code
Old 08-30-2007, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by moxjake
Does K&N make a drop-in replacement filter? And if so, what is the part #?
yes - they do.

part number 33-2311

Quick Reply: New Air Filter?