2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

New GM perf parts coming

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 01:44 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by laserelectric
Oh...Haha! Sorry...Now I am embarassed, I misread. Well, in that case, I totally agree. Sorry. LOL! I guess you COULD be a nice kid! LOL! Anywho, so you obciouslt know exactly what I am going through. Yeah, I did find a NICE after market TURBO, and was thinking of that, So why would YOU say TURBO, over a supercharger? I am a little confused on these two things...Again, sorry for getting up in your face, I thought you were saying why didn't we just buy an SS then...I didn't realize YOU had a 2.2, and meant why not go turbo...
ok the reason i say turbo is because the supercharger is limited in its performance overall. and well its also a preference. i dont like a supercharger as much because the power band in the high end isnt like a turbo in the high end when your driving it. i mean turbos also have a lotta benefits to. i mean im no expert but the turbo is nice cause if you ever want to go more boost you can change boost levels and do other mods to make it work. turbos are nice setups to. i mean again unless GM makes it and shows me some good numbers im not buying a supercharger for my car.

its just a opinion of what i like. but if ur into superchargers go for it.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Delta2.2
ok the reason i say turbo is because the supercharger is limited in its performance overall. and well its also a preference. i dont like a supercharger as much because the power band in the high end isnt like a turbo in the high end when your driving it. i mean turbos also have a lotta benefits to. i mean im no expert but the turbo is nice cause if you ever want to go more boost you can change boost levels and do other mods to make it work. turbos are nice setups to. i mean again unless GM makes it and shows me some good numbers im not buying a supercharger for my car.

its just a opinion of what i like. but if ur into superchargers go for it.
Dude, I can't honestly say I have any preference. I would have to really compare numbers, but from what I saw, the turbo allows for WAY more boost. Don't know though. I did put that post up regarding that new turbo kit for the LS models, and it supposedly puts you at 200 hp? So, we will have to see...Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:02 AM

-k- this thread got way off base....and then died. in the last three months has anyone heard anything new on the original subject of this thread; GMPP Parts?
Old 06-02-2007, 10:23 PM

I haven't talked to my pops or to Tom or Rick about this lately, but I'll start asking around again. But last I heard, they were in the prototype stage. But as I'm sure most of you know, there is a lot more work after that.

Now not to put a damper on things, but seeing that the Cobalt SS/sc is getting put on the side burner for 08, there are one of two outcomes for the 2.2L. Either GMPP could put all their compact car efforts towards the 2.2/2.4L motors, or they won't pursue the performance of either. The only reason I can think that they would not pursue these motors at the moment, is that since GM is trying to go all RWD, they will be waiting till the new chassis are designed and tested, to see if the new parts will fit on the Cobalt and the future compact car.

NEways, I'll keep you guys updated with what I learn.

Archie
Old 06-02-2007, 11:19 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Archie
Either GMPP could put all their compact car efforts towards the 2.2/2.4L motors, or they won't pursue the performance of either. The only reason I can think that they would not pursue these motors at the moment, is that since GM is trying to go all RWD
uh, Whadufuc?

Seriously dude, usually I try to stand up for the members. But this is biggest load of horse **** I have read all month. GM is trying to go all RWD? What are you smoking?
Old 06-02-2007, 11:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ooooo shhhhhhhhh halfcent.
I like drifting off into that lala land.

alll rwd. mmmmmmmmmmmm

****. I woke up.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:28 PM

so im too lazy to read through all this thread lol is there any flat answer to gm putting out more gmpp parts for the 2.2 or 2.4's? sorry but im tired and lazy. lol
Old 06-02-2007, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by NJHK
I don't know why they'd offer new injectors with just modifications of bolt ons...that just seems a bit unecessary.
I was thinking the same thing, all they would need with the GMPP manifold/exhaust would be a new tune, injectors would just be to make money, IMO
Old 06-02-2007, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Halfcent
uh, Whadufuc?

Seriously dude, usually I try to stand up for the members. But this is biggest load of horse **** I have read all month. GM is trying to go all RWD? What are you smoking?
Umm sorry, Pontiac, not GM. But since Pontiac is going RWD by 2010, and since Saturn is already cutting back on the ion, why should they keep the Chevy version fwd while the pontiac version is RWD? I'm not saying it will be RWD for 08, but by 2010... Its a very good possibility.

Nice bash, but if you read a little into all of GM's plans, not just Chevy, and put together the bigger picture, and it might just make sense to you too.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:38 PM
Banned

and since Saturn is already cutting back on the ion
The Ion has been done with since the end of March............
Old 06-02-2007, 11:40 PM

Either GMPP could put all their compact car efforts towards the 2.2/2.4L motors, or they won't pursue the performance of either. The only reason I can think that they would not pursue these motors at the moment, is that since GM is trying to go all RWD, they will be waiting till the new chassis are designed and tested, to see if the new parts will fit on the Cobalt and the future compact car.

NEways, I'll keep you guys updated with what I learn.

Archie
Its only the GM brand "Pontiac" that has plans to offer only RWD vehicles..By saying "GM" it sounds as if you are incinuating that all brands "Chevy, Pontiac, Saturn, Saab, ect "will all be RWD, this would cripple the company...
Old 06-02-2007, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by 05redline
The Ion has been done with since the end of March............
The redline was discontinued, the Ion is still being produced according to Saturn, it is just being throttled back.

Its only the GM brand "Pontiac" that has plans to offer only RWD vehicles..By saying "GM" it sounds as if you are incinuating that all brands "Chevy, Pontiac, Saturn, Saab, ect "will all be RWD, this would cripple the company...
Well answer me this. Why would Chevy keep the Cobalt FWD, when Pontiac makes the G5 RWD?

Now answer this. Which one would you buy? I know I would definately buy the RWD version.

If you want, I'll go edit so it doesn't give people a false impression.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:44 PM

Umm sorry, Pontiac, not GM. But since Pontiac is going RWD by 2010, and since Saturn is already cutting back on the ion, why should they keep the Chevy version fwd while the pontiac version is RWD? I'm not saying it will be RWD for 08, but by 2010... Its a very good possibility.

Nice bash, but if you read a little into all of GM's plans, not just Chevy, and put together the bigger picture, and it might just make sense to you too.

Because RWD and FWD will be entirely differnent platforms.. They cant just take for instance the current Monte Carlo(FWD) and simply reconfigure it to RWD for the sake of Pontiac...If GM changed it all to RWD their status of excellent fuel efficiency would diminish..

Last edited by BLKblurr06; 06-03-2007 at 12:04 AM.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by BLKblurr06
Because RWD and FWD will be entirely differnent platforms.. The cant just take for instance the current Monte Carlo(FWD) and simply reconfigure it to RWD for the sake of Pontiac...If GM changed it all to RWD their interest in fuel economy as a company would suffer...
What is this myth that RWD vehicles get worse gas mileage than FWD vehicles?

I'm done.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:18 AM

What is this myth that RWD vehicles get worse gas mileage than FWD vehicles?

I'm done.

FWD has less power loss through the drivetrain, more power can be made with greater fuel efficiency than RWD... GM had a specific number in mind in regards of fuel economy and also in horsepower...the fuel economy comes first in order to be competitive with other cars in its segment..if the fuel economy is too poor with lets say 320hp then 300 hp it will be in the name of fuel efficiency.. a specific engine may produce 320whp in a FWD application, but only 300-310whp in a RWD application..

Well answer me this. Why would Chevy keep the Cobalt FWD, when Pontiac makes the G5 RWD?
the G5 isnt RWD

Last edited by BLKblurr06; 06-03-2007 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-03-2007, 06:58 AM

lol. soooo, we went from, possible gmpp for 2.2/2.4 to preference of ss/sc to the 2.2/2.4 to insurance back the gmpp for 2.2/2.4 then to what GM is supposed to do? Sooo, u get our hopes up, n then say u dunno? that's like telling a 5 yr old santa isn't real. ugh. lol. oh! n u bashed halfcent. not smart. i'm pretty sure, that he's one of the smartest guys on here. i'm just done. lol. oh and to the whole RWD vs. FWD thing, if u live somewhere that snows roughly 4-6 months outta the year (for ex buffalo) what r u gonna choose? FWD FTW. and, when has the g5 been rwd? i've heard about the SS Impala that will come out in i believe 2009, that will b RWD with 350 hp. and the SC z06 that will get 605 hp in 2010. other than that, nothing on every car being RWD. that would just be dumb. i can't see chevy going all RWD. but, i think i would go with turbo over sc. my preference. unless there is solid proof of the sc providing serious power over the turbo. idk, like someone said, 3 months and still nothing. i'm just going to wait until it comes true. if it comes true.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:10 AM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here, let me help.

There are no NEW gmpp releases for the ecotecs, nor are there any planned.

There is no plan for GM to go all RWD. When (and if) Pontiac alone does it, the G5 and G6 (FWD drive cars) will not be manufactured anymore. Their platforms, the Delta and Episilons, will still be made under different names, like the Cobalt.

Clear as mud now?
Old 06-03-2007, 02:19 PM
Banned

The redline was discontinued, the Ion is still being produced according to Saturn, it is just being throttled back.
Bullshit. The Ion production ended on March 30 of this year, it has been discontinued. It's kind of hard to produce the Ion when Spring Hill plant has been shut down since then for retooling.

I seriously doubt GM is going to waste their time with the 2.2s.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:28 PM

I seriously doubt GM is going to waste their time with the 2.2s.
Hey, selling millions of 2.2s is a big waste of time........
Old 06-03-2007, 02:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cobalter LS
Hey, selling millions of 2.2s is a big waste of time........
Out of how many of those "millions" of 2.2s, how many of thier owners care about performance?
Old 06-03-2007, 02:40 PM

Out of how many of those "millions" of 2.2s, how many of thier owners care about performance?
For every 1 million 2.2s, if just 1% cared that would be 10,000 per million. The GMPP intake was actually initially designed for the 2.2. There's money to be made and that's what matters....
Old 06-03-2007, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by avro206
yes there are lot more but oe could argue that most 2.2L owners aren't interested in more power---otherwise they would have bought a 2.4 or 2.0 S/C.

At anyrate, I hope this is true--and the 2.4L gets this as well. My car is desperately in need of 40 more hp
That argument make no sense since the L series has a tune and that is no WAY a power class car.

PS, they did not have the 2.4 out when I bought my car wither, and by the time I really wanted to go with more power, I had my car paid off...

So I put on the turbo and now I am getting her tuned as we speck! Beat a older GT Stang last night too,
Old 06-03-2007, 03:50 PM

I would think there will be a bit more coming out for the 2.2 and (hopefully) 2.4 as there won't be a 2.0 next year.

I'd really love to see a GMPP aftermarket forced induction system, sine otherwise they won't have any competition for the speed3/caliber SRT4, etc.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:22 PM

I could care less what GMPP has available for us, I can make more than enough power without them. And its pretty clear that even on the 2.0 level, going aftermarket yields better results.

So in conclusion, who cares?!
Old 06-03-2007, 04:41 PM
Banned

ya! go aftermarket ...ive got better prices on aftermarket parts vs gmpp anyway!

Quick Reply: New GM perf parts coming