2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil cooler

anyone put in a oil cooler? or is there a way to tap to put one in?
Old 08-25-2007, 12:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The question that would be appropriate is:

"How come you need a external oil cooler?"
Old 08-25-2007, 12:47 PM

because he wants to cool his oil.... duh
Old 08-25-2007, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Novajoe
because he wants to cool his oil.... duh
ok maybe I should make my statement idiot proof:

Why do you need to cool you oil? Is there some type of issue that you're experiencing high oil temperatures?

It's the old saying, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Unless you're making some type of major engine change where heat temperatures are going to be rising high, getting a external oil cooler isn't needed.

To Novajoe: YOU DON'T BUY **** YOU DON'T NEED.

/end idiot proof
Old 08-25-2007, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by NJHK
ok maybe I should make my statement idiot proof:

Why do you need to cool you oil? Is there some type of issue that you're experiencing high oil temperatures?

It's the old saying, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Unless you're making some type of major engine change where heat temperatures are going to be rising high, getting a external oil cooler isn't needed.

To Novajoe: YOU DON'T BUY **** YOU DON'T NEED.

/end idiot proof
you really don't know how to take a joke...
Old 08-25-2007, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Novajoe
you really don't know how to take a joke...
I do

You showed no clue that it was sarcasm
Old 08-25-2007, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by NJHK
The question that would be appropriate is:

"How come you need a external oil cooler?"
lol. this thread started funny. well im going to be putting my nitrous back and i just want o some assurance for when im running at the track and i also want to get into x-cross. so i figure if i have that it'll just help. don't see it makeing anything worse.

oh i got a question for you NJHk....i noticed my coolant temp is always around high 200*, while i've seen other just bearly up there. it doesn't start up that way but once im cruising it just sits up there. it'll go down after i let the engine idle, but as soon as i start moving again it goes back up again. do you think my coolant needs to be changed or maybe my water pump is going in or something? thanks. (oh and i know that the nitrous would actually help with cooling, but im a person who like to take caution).
Old 08-25-2007, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by lil_kano
lol. this thread started funny. well im going to be putting my nitrous back and i just want o some assurance for when im running at the track and i also want to get into x-cross. so i figure if i have that it'll just help. don't see it makeing anything worse.

oh i got a question for you NJHk....i noticed my coolant temp is always around high 200*, while i've seen other just bearly up there. it doesn't start up that way but once im cruising it just sits up there. it'll go down after i let the engine idle, but as soon as i start moving again it goes back up again. do you think my coolant needs to be changed or maybe my water pump is going in or something? thanks. (oh and i know that the nitrous would actually help with cooling, but im a person who like to take caution).
well you shouldn't have any problem with your oil being cool, but if you like to auto-x alot then it wouldn't hurt to look into an aftermarket oil pan with baffles.

when's the last time you flushed your coolant and replaced your therm?
Old 08-25-2007, 01:19 PM

As far as using nitrous, honestly, you have nothing to worry about as far as your oil's temperature.

As far as the 200*, it should be opposite, temperature rise at idle, temperature drop when in motion because now you're having air rush into the radiator (a heat exchanger) to lower the coolant temps. I would think about taking it to your dealership. It's hard to diagnose over the internet.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1) You can't auto-x with nitrous hooked up, so make sure you get a system that's easy to disconnect and remove the tanks. Not sure what all else has to be removed or not, I just know you can't auto-x or road race with nitrous in the car.

2) If you want to auto-x in a specific class, make sure adding an oil cooler will not bump you out of that class. Also, an oil cooler is unnecessary for auto-x. I have been running parts of 3 seasons now with no issues.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Cobalter LS
Instead of opinions how about we try something novel on this website...like a simple answer...
No one has tried it because the effort is greater than the results. It could be done but you would have to pull the engine and disassemble it, then have all the holes machined in the block for the oil cooler; oil passages and mounting holes threaded. You would also need the connectors to the cooling system. To make sure it is done right you would also need to locate a 2.0/2.4 block that has the oil cooler so a machinist could measure everything accurately.
Wow

Why the hell would you need to remove your engine to install a EXTERNAL OIL COOLER?
Old 08-25-2007, 02:52 PM

I ASSumed he was referring to the factory oil cooler that is in the 06 2.4 and 2.0 cars.
umm nope.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:58 PM
Moderator Alumni
Platinum Member

Instead of opinions how about we try something novel on this website...like a simple answer...
No one has tried it because the effort is greater than the results. It could be done but you would have to pull the engine and disassemble it, then have all the holes machined in the block for the oil cooler; oil passages and mounting holes threaded. You would also need the connectors to the cooling system. To make sure it is done right you would also need to locate a 2.0/2.4 block that has the oil cooler so a machinist could measure everything accurately.

Before you go giving people mis-information let me simplify this for you since you have absolutely no idea what it is your talking about.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PULL THE MOTOR OR DISASSEMBLE IT!!!!

Oil coolers are very simple to add and there are several companies that produce them.

In most cases it is as simple as a sandwich adapter that goes between the filer housing and the block. Others are used in conjunction with filter relocation kits. A simple thing to do.

So please refrain from posting mis-information as facts and do some reading up.

Thank you and have a nice day.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:02 PM

I Don't see an "external reference" anywhere in the original question.
I said to him "external oil cooler" and he didn't correct me.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:07 PM
Moderator Alumni
Platinum Member

A moderator????? Did you bother to read post #13????? Please ban me and delete my account!!!!!! If he was asking about the factory oil cooler my post is accurate please grow up before telling others what to do!!!!!
Right here he states

And if you really would like I can ban you if that makes you feel any better.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by RedCavyRS99
Right here he states

And if you really would like I can ban you if that makes you feel any better.
ok guys calm down. lol. either one will work. if its not good for autocross the i'll just get it for a second asurance. i go to the track occasionally aswell.

NJHK im out of warranty so ima have to do it myself...but i do have some connections at the dealership. at a stop it'll get warmer but drop back down to about 178*. driving, it'll cool down once im cruising to about 190*ish but from a stop it just goes up so quickly and is on an average of 200*+.

i haven't changed coolant or therm.

is there a company that you would recomend for an aplication like this? i haven't seen the sandwhich plate for our cars. then again i haven't seen any. thanks
Old 08-25-2007, 06:06 PM

Oil temps and coolent temps are totaly different. As for an oil cooler itself they are nice to have IF you plan to push your car VERY hard for long periods of time at a shot. If you don't auto x or do any kind of endurance racing then its honetly not a mod worth doing.

I had used the largest Hayden transmission cooler, cut the small conections off the tubes and that way it was the same diameter as the oil coolers they sell for a fraction of the price! Now I ran it on my 550+ hp Pontiac Big Block that I used to race and it did in fact drop engine temps by about 30 to 50 degrees. But I ran the ever lovin **** out of that car!
Old 08-25-2007, 06:19 PM

NJHK im out of warranty so ima have to do it myself...but i do have some connections at the dealership. at a stop it'll get warmer but drop back down to about 178*. driving, it'll cool down once im cruising to about 190*ish but from a stop it just goes up so quickly and is on an average of 200*+.
Seems normal. 175-185 is low normal. I usually see 180s, in the summer cruising temp will be in the low 190s and it's perfectly normal to see temps over 200 after driving for a while then coming to a stop. Typically a lot of people will see over 210 if they're stopped in stop-and-go driving.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:38 PM

IBTL

Seriously though, unless you're going with a really serious N/A build or forced induction and you're going to race/auto-x you shouldn't need an oil cooler. Would it be cool? Sure, but not necessary. Good luck with you project.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by alleycat58
Seems normal. 175-185 is low normal. I usually see 180s, in the summer cruising temp will be in the low 190s and it's perfectly normal to see temps over 200 after driving for a while then coming to a stop. Typically a lot of people will see over 210 if they're stopped in stop-and-go driving.
I was going to say the same thing.

But if your maintenance calls for you to check your coolant system, I would do so.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by alleycat58
yeah i kinda guessed that, t i was just curious because my car loses power when its in the high 190* or higher. i can actually feel it. at about 180*ish, it pulls smoothly. now i was worried about mine caz its always in the high 190*. so i don't know if THATS normal. lol.

ok. i'll let you guys know what i'm doing so you can see why i'm asking. As of right now i will just be running a 75 wet shot with 2.4 intake mani swap, header, 3" d/p( i know it'll effect power w/o the N2O), corsa touring for the 2.0, and GM cam gears (not cams). After purchasing rods, pistons, and valve springs i will bump it up to a 2 stage system with an extra 75 wet shot at a later gear. what i want to do in the mean time is get the motor ready with a tranny and oil cooler, good brakes( of course), some nice rim n tire combo (michellin pilot on a 17X8 or 8.5), and koni struts with eibach pro-kit, strut tower brace, and eibach anti-roll kit. For appearance im gona do something different...i'm not going to tell you yet. even if i don't get to do x-cross, then i could just do a road course for fun. i'm going to do other little stuff but nothing that needs to be mentioned.

and yes i promise whe i get a good vid camera, i will do all the videos you want.

Last edited by lil_kano; 08-25-2007 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-26-2007, 02:50 AM

Sounds like a nice setup.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
id get a 2.5DP, since the corsa exhaust is also 2.5. Otherwise i like your setup
Old 08-26-2007, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
id get a 2.5DP, since the corsa exhaust is also 2.5. Otherwise i like your setup
well the exhaust by far has been the most debated part of my planning. i even started a thread in the 2.0 section asking what they like best for thier cars and i still couldn't get a straight forward answer.

i want to get parts for the 2.0 in the sense that i will get parts for a F/I engine. our cars have performance parts (ex. exhaust) for "our enginees" N/A. so the corsa exhaust for the 2.0 is 2.5"? i already had a 3" w/o a cat lined up to buy cheap tooo...lol.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:04 AM

yeah i kinda guessed that, t i was just curious because my car loses power when its in the high 190* or higher. i can actually feel it. at about 180*ish, it pulls smoothly. now i was worried about mine caz its always in the high 190*. so i don't know if THATS normal. lol.

ok. i'll let you guys know what i'm doing so you can see why i'm asking. As of right now i will just be running a 75 wet shot with 2.4 intake mani swap, header, 3" d/p( i know it'll effect power w/o the N2O), corsa touring for the 2.0, and GM cam gears (not cams). After purchasing rods, pistons, and valve springs i will bump it up to a 2 stage system with an extra 75 wet shot at a later gear. what i want to do in the mean time is get the motor ready with a tranny and oil cooler, good brakes( of course), some nice rim n tire combo (michellin pilot on a 17X8 or 8.5), and koni struts with eibach pro-kit, strut tower brace, and eibach anti-roll kit. For appearance im gona do something different...i'm not going to tell you yet. even if i don't get to do x-cross, then i could just do a road course for fun. i'm going to do other little stuff but nothing that needs to be mentioned.

and yes i promise whe i get a good vid camera, i will do all the videos you want.
First and foremost, like I mentioned before, make absolutely sure your N2O is easily removable. Can't run it on a road course, nor would you really want to. I believe you just have to be able to safely remove the tanks, although I'm not positive. Tanks for sure have to go, don't know what they could ask you to remove beyond that.

I would also advise against the Michelin Pilots. Overpriced and underperforming for the price. There's a lot better rubber out there for less than half the price of them.

Quick Reply: oil cooler