2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alleycat58
First and foremost, like I mentioned before, make absolutely sure your N2O is easily removable. Can't run it on a road course, nor would you really want to. I believe you just have to be able to safely remove the tanks, although I'm not positive. Tanks for sure have to go, don't know what they could ask you to remove beyond that.

I would also advise against the Michelin Pilots. Overpriced and underperforming for the price. There's a lot better rubber out there for less than half the price of them.
i know a road course near my house that'll allow me to run with the tank.

as for the michellin pilots, i get 'em cheap and they are realy awsome. they are like the 2nd ebst rated tires...sport tires at least. i don't need drags.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by lil_kano
well the exhaust by far has been the most debated part of my planning. i even started a thread in the 2.0 section asking what they like best for thier cars and i still couldn't get a straight forward answer.

i want to get parts for the 2.0 in the sense that i will get parts for a F/I engine. our cars have performance parts (ex. exhaust) for "our enginees" N/A. so the corsa exhaust for the 2.0 is 2.5"? i already had a 3" w/o a cat lined up to buy cheap tooo...lol.
honestly...a 2.25 is good for around 180-230hp, and a 2.5 is good for around 230-280hp...this is assuming your going N/A or supercharged. if your going turbo, you'll want a 3" all the way back and as straight as possible. if your going turbo, id get a shop to make a custom exhaust, 3" diameter, with as few bends as possible...itll be around the same price as a prefabbed one and perform a lot better
Old 08-26-2007, 07:33 PM

ok. so whats the size of the piping on the corsa for the 2.0l engine?

im going 3" now so that i can use it for later. i know i'll have a slight power loss with it as a N/A motor but i will utilize it later. i just want o know the specs of the corsa for the 2.0l. I know it has a 4" tip.

i'm still debating on which header to get for two reasons...fitment and size. i have no clue what fits and what would be best with a 3" D/P.

wouldn't it work out good if i did the 3" D/P and the corsa for the 2.0L, which is 2.5" piping? I have no clue about what header to get. i want the most performance though, not best bang for buck. lol

Last edited by lil_kano; 08-26-2007 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i know a road course near my house that'll allow me to run with the tank.

as for the michellin pilots, i get 'em cheap and they are realy awsome. they are like the 2nd ebst rated tires...sport tires at least. i don't need drags.
S'up to you. Honestly I wouldn't run at a track that would allow nitrous on course. Too much of a safety issue. There's at least one near me that allows it as well, but they also allow noobs to get behind the wheel with NO instructor.

Eh, try em out. In my experience with them for auto-x and driving my friend's GTI at the road course, they're subpar to just about any other performance tire out there. But if you can get them cheap enough then give em a shot.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by alleycat58
S'up to you. Honestly I wouldn't run at a track that would allow nitrous on course. Too much of a safety issue. There's at least one near me that allows it as well, but they also allow noobs to get behind the wheel with NO instructor.

Eh, try em out. In my experience with them for auto-x and driving my friend's GTI at the road course, they're subpar to just about any other performance tire out there. But if you can get them cheap enough then give em a shot.
kool. there is also a drag strio there. so if i go and there are "lil kids" runnning around the track then i'll just head over to the drag strip. thanks for the heads up.

now if i can only get a good answer on my exhaust dilema. lol

ok. i think i've found the bet question to ask to get my problem cleared up....will a 3" D/P and the 2.5" corsa for the 2.0L be a good combo...power wise? if so what header would be a nice add on to the combo? or is it better to get 3" all the way back from the D/P?

Also does anyone know the specs on the hahn header?

Last edited by lil_kano; 08-26-2007 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-27-2007, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by RedCavyRS99
Before you go giving people mis-information let me simplify this for you since you have absolutely no idea what it is your talking about.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PULL THE MOTOR OR DISASSEMBLE IT!!!!

Oil coolers are very simple to add and there are several companies that produce them.

In most cases it is as simple as a sandwich adapter that goes between the filer housing and the block. Others are used in conjunction with filter relocation kits. A simple thing to do.

So please refrain from posting mis-information as facts and do some reading up.

Thank you and have a nice day.

The only kits that I am aware of that are this relatively easy to install are for vehicles with spin-on oil filters, which we do not have on the Cobalts. Also, yes, a lot of things aren't necessary or needed but we still want to install them on our cars!! Maybe someone wants an external oil cooler to keep the temps down (thermal break down of oil), I dunno.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:47 AM

kool. there is also a drag strio there. so if i go and there are "lil kids" runnning around the track then i'll just head over to the drag strip. thanks for the heads up.

now if i can only get a good answer on my exhaust dilema. lol

ok. i think i've found the bet question to ask to get my problem cleared up....will a 3" D/P and the 2.5" corsa for the 2.0L be a good combo...power wise? if so what header would be a nice add on to the combo? or is it better to get 3" all the way back from the D/P?

Also does anyone know the specs on the hahn header?
you definitely dont want to go from a 3-->2.5...if anything, you'd want to go 2.5-->3

are you planning on turboing, supercharging, or making a N/A build? also, what kind of HP goal do you have in mind once your done modding
Old 08-27-2007, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
you definitely dont want to go from a 3-->2.5...if anything, you'd want to go 2.5-->3

are you planning on turboing, supercharging, or making a N/A build? also, what kind of HP goal do you have in mind once your done modding
for now im going with just a 75shot N2O. but later after building the motor as I stated above. then bump up to a second stage n2o kit. for a total of 150 shot. then later if they've tuned the tranny then i'll think about turbocharching. so for now i jsut want to build the motor. i kno i'll more than likely lose power on the stock motor, but it'll blow alot of stuff away with the n2o. i wanted the corsa mainly for sound but the 2.5" is killing me. caz i wanted to get the 3" D/P and im still undicided about a good header. thanks for the info hunter.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:19 PM

the reasoni ask is because if you go with a turbo setup down the road, you'll be replacing your header/downpipe anyway, so buying an aftermarket one would be a waste of money. but if your going for a n2o build with FI plans later, i'd go for a supercharger since you'd be able to keep your header/DP with a SC setup. im not sure how big the vibrant header/DP combo is, but ive heard a lot of good things on their 4-2-1 header/DP combo....so if they make one in 2.5", i'd get it.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:47 PM

the reasoni ask is because if you go with a turbo setup down the road, you'll be replacing your header/downpipe anyway, so buying an aftermarket one would be a waste of money. but if your going for a n2o build with FI plans later, i'd go for a supercharger since you'd be able to keep your header/DP with a SC setup. im not sure how big the vibrant header/DP combo is, but ive heard a lot of good things on their 4-2-1 header/DP combo....so if they make one in 2.5", i'd get it.
ok. if i were to get a turbo setup later on after i do internals would do a rear mount setup like the STS kit. Like i said that would only be if they release tranny and ECM tunning for our cars. like i said im no too worried about losing power by going with a 3" application as long as i'll be able utilize it with my nitrous. Keep in mind that i'll only be runnign a 75 shot...may a lil bigger after i take it to a dyno and see if i can do a little tweeking with diff jet sizes. but after i build the engine then i will do a 2 stage setup....and i'm pretty sure i'll be able to utilize the 3" then. thanks for the help hunter.

Whats a comprable 3" exhaust, sound wise, to the corsa?....i just don't want to sound totaly ricey. lol.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:35 PM

bump

ok. my origional question still wasn't answered. is there a way to put an oil cooler on the cobalt? if so, how?
Old 08-31-2007, 06:30 AM

our answer is there is zero need until you reach around 500HP....if your looking for parts to bulletproof, get some water wetter for the radiator, and get a transmission cooler
Old 08-31-2007, 01:01 PM

our answer is there is zero need until you reach around 500HP....if your looking for parts to bulletproof, get some water wetter for the radiator, and get a transmission cooler
yeah tranny cooler im getting for sure. whats this wetter for the radiator? is an automated thing and do i have to refill everytime?
Old 08-31-2007, 03:27 PM

water wetter just breaks down the water in your radiator so it can transfer heat better. its like $10 and you only needa to refill if you flush your radiator
Old 09-01-2007, 04:39 PM

water wetter just breaks down the water in your radiator so it can transfer heat better. its like $10 and you only needa to refill if you flush your radiator
ok. do you have a link to one installed or explain it more idepth to me, please? i'm not a noobe, so i'll understand. i just don't know what it is exactly that your talking about. thanks.