2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Oil system & Oil cooling

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 02:28 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Z-Bolt
Given this...the only part in question would be the oil temperature, at temp and then when at different 'work' levels when the engine is being worked. Oil cooler has only one function, other than adding just a little more oil, and that would be to help maintain an appropriate level of oil temperature. Anyone have an idea of the oil temps?
Oil temps are perfectly fine, even for dino oil....If we were to discuss proper and acceptable oil temps people here would freak the f*ck out.....how do I know? Look at how many "I am overheating" threads we have. ANd see what temps these guys are usually talking about. They would lose their freaking minds if we brought up oil temps.

Some food for thought.............

Early LE5s came with the same oil cooler as the LSJ.........After continued testing and time with engines in customer cars, and examing any failures GM decided that the oil cooler was just added csot and complexity to the LE5...............Soooo they removed it.

If youre worried about oil temps on your 2.2 just switch to synthetic oil.....its easier and better for the environment.

Not to mention adding a cooler is a bad idea imo because youre far more likely to overcool the oil and never let it reach proper operating temp thereby causing more damage than good.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:42 AM
Jn2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Maven
Oil temps are perfectly fine, even for dino oil....If we were to discuss proper and acceptable oil temps people here would freak the f*ck out.....how do I know? Look at how many "I am overheating" threads we have. ANd see what temps these guys are usually talking about. They would lose their freaking minds if we brought up oil temps.

Some food for thought.............

Early LE5s came with the same oil cooler as the LSJ.........After continued testing and time with engines in customer cars, and examing any failures GM decided that the oil cooler was just added csot and complexity to the LE5...............Soooo they removed it.

If youre worried about oil temps on your 2.2 just switch to synthetic oil.....its easier and better for the environment.

Not to mention adding a cooler is a bad idea imo because youre far more likely to overcool the oil and never let it reach proper operating temp thereby causing more damage than good.
MAVEN HAS SPOKEN !!!!

and for a heads up to you(OP), i ran a oil temp gauge on my car, autometer cobalt series electrical temp gauge....i had it before and after my m62 install...my oil temp was ALWAYS 5*f hotter than my coolant temp being displayed on the DIC...during WOT, during long hot idles, during daily driving, oil temp always stayed the same as it was before i installed the m62...so a cooler really wouldn't help...those 5 degrees are unoticeable

Last edited by Jn2; 08-22-2009 at 04:39 AM.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:23 AM
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mmt point procene. even when drunkzors
Old 08-22-2009, 06:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by EXsoccer1921
i didn't say timing chain, i said timing. as in stock. and sorry i laughed out loud when you said "cams (except for grind)" because...that defines what a cam is. so saying that two cams are identical except for the grind is like saying an apple and an organge are the same because theyre fruits, but everything else is different. and the only parts you can swap and "bolt on" are the intake manifold, exhaust manifold, and other misc parts like alternators and **** that have nothing to do with the engines performance.
timing, cams, intake ports, exhaust ports, vavles, springs, crank, rods, pistons, stroke, bore, transmission, ring tolerances, compression ratio, torque specs, and over all design are the same?

if you're gonna try and correct him, do it correctly. The timing is slightly different in the cams. The cams however use the exact same profile. The intake ports and exhaust ports, while using different heads, flow nearly identical numbers, the intake valve is the same on both cars, and the LSJ just uses a sodium filled exhaust valve (same size though), The rest of the valvetrain is the same across all models (including springs, retainers, lifters, etc). The stroke is different, but the bore is the same (86x86 vs 86x95.something), of course the trannies are different, but were talking about engines here..., ring tolerances are i believe the same, CR is different due to boost, torque specs i also believe are the same, and yes, the over all design is the same....

I am in agreement with nighthawk in that they are incredibly similar engines and can be compared as though they were one in the same, assuming they run the same power adder.
You gotta realize, all ecotecs are incredibly similar... its like comparing a 350", 383", and a 400". They all have the same foundation, even if they do have minor differences
Old 08-22-2009, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, would it be safe to say that a oil cooler would be beneficial for a car with an oil cooled turbo installed?

That would be the only reason I would see a oil cooler being worth it on a 2.2/2.4...
Old 08-22-2009, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by utsadude
So, would it be safe to say that a oil cooler would be beneficial for a car with an oil cooled turbo installed?

That would be the only reason I would see a oil cooler being worth it on a 2.2/2.4...
same, and i would probably just mount the oil cooler after the turbo
Old 08-22-2009, 04:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Mounting the cooler after the turbo is only goin to cool down what little oil goes through the turbo before it goes back to the sump. Why do that? IF you were going to do it imo you would want the cooler to cool the oil before it goes from the oil filter housing into the main oil galleries.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Maven
Mounting the cooler after the turbo is only goin to cool down what little oil goes through the turbo before it goes back to the sump. Why do that? IF you were going to do it imo you would want the cooler to cool the oil before it goes from the oil filter housing into the main oil galleries.
well, i was just thinking it would make sense if the only thing really heating upp the oil to extreme temperatures was the turbo, then just cool the oil thats coming out of the turbo, and then there wont be any excessive heat. Course it was just my own train of thought...im sure you have the better ideas (as always....you bastard...lol)