2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

one more question

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CobaltBurst
exactly does chevy have a company like mopar and trd? NO
yeah they do they just dont need a fancy name for it.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:24 PM

haha ok man.... in time you will see.....
Old 10-02-2005, 02:30 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Um, yes they do. GM Goodwrench.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:11 PM

yeah your right, the name is going to be goodwrench for the stage 1 and 2 upgrades not just GM. Personally I dont care about the company name, i care about the performance it provides.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:22 PM

haha, so lost you are

there's only like, a huge freaking catalog full of stuff

i was even watchin a little bit of the tube the other day and heard of where chrysler finally decided to try and catch up with GM in the crate motor and support arena

just doesnt seem like GMPP is around that much because of the whole srt and staged upgrades thing...but believe me, they're there
Old 10-02-2005, 03:30 PM
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 10-02-2005, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dman
haha, so lost you are

there's only like, a huge freaking catalog full of stuff

i was even watchin a little bit of the tube the other day and heard of where chrysler finally decided to try and catch up with GM in the crate motor and support arena

just doesnt seem like GMPP is around that much because of the whole srt and staged upgrades thing...but believe me, they're there
yea GM makes alot of crate motors, but they do not provide upgrades to their current motors as well as others. Now the cobalt is supposed to change that, i think they will tackle the 2.2L better than the 2.0L, since they have already done so much with this engine.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:46 PM
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by halfcent
If you do ever get to that kind of power, you will then have to spend just as much money as I have upgrading your transmission. The GETRAG manual in a stock set up can't handle that kind of power.
First of all the LSJ equipped cars DO NOT use a Getrag. It's an FGP M35 manufactured by Saab Sweden - RPO MU3. (Same transaxle used in the turbocharged 2.0 in the Saab 9-3)

Second, unless the transaxle "upgrades" you speak of include swapping out the 4T45E for a beefed up 4T65E, it is YOU sir that's going to have a serious problem getting all that hp/torque delivered to the ground! (The 4T45E is currently rated to deal with 205lbft of input torque maximum)
Originally Posted by halfcent
This could easily become a complicated physics lesson, but basically, the lever arm on the LSJ crankshaft is smaller, meaning you don't get as much torque delivered to the crankshaft by the piston. So that could be an argument for why the L61 has more potential.
Finally, unless you have upgraded the L61 nodular iron crank to a forged unit (I think Manta has one using the 2.2 throws) You are kidding yourself if you think you'll be able to boost/spray it up to 400HP without catastrophic results.

The reason GM Performance Division recommends the 2.0L (86mm stoke) is all about the rod to stroke ratios that their testing (and the late great John Lingenfelter) has proven to be more productive and reliable under significant amounts of boost. ALL of the recent FWD records that have been set by ECOTEC powered cars such as Lisa Kubo's ION (first FWD car in the 7s) as well as Marty Ladwigs and Gary Gardellas Cobalts (first FWD cars to trap in the 200s) ARE ALL RUNNING 2.0L DISPLACEMENT!! But hey, maybe you know something they and the GMPP engineers don’t. Let us know how it goes.

Regards
WopOnTour

JMO
WopOnTour
Old 10-02-2005, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by WopOnTour
First of all the LSJ equipped cars DO NOT use a Getrag. It's an FGP M35 manufactured by Saab Sweden - RPO MU3. (Same transaxle used in the turbocharged 2.0 in the Saab 9-3)

Second, unless the transaxle "upgrades" you speak of include swapping out the 4T45E for a beefed up 4T65E, it is YOU sir that's going to have a serious problem getting all that hp/torque delivered to the ground! (The 4T45E is currently rated to deal with 205lbft of input torque maximum)
Finally, unless you have upgraded the L61 nodular iron crank to a forged unit (I think Manta has one using the 2.2 throws) You are kidding yourself if you think you'll be able to boost/spray it up to 400HP without catastrophic results.

The reason GM Performance Division recommends the 2.0L (86mm stoke) is all about the rod to stroke ratios that their testing (and the late great John Lingenfelter) has proven to be more productive and reliable under significant amounts of boost. ALL of the recent FWD records that have been set by ECOTEC powered cars such as Lisa Kubo's ION (first FWD car in the 7s) as well as Marty Ladwigs and Gary Gardellas Cobalts (first FWD cars to trap in the 200s) ARE ALL RUNNING 2.0L DISPLACEMENT!! But hey, maybe you know something they and the GMPP engineers don’t. Let us know how it goes.

Regards
WopOnTour

JMO
WopOnTour
couldn't have said it better!!

at least im not the only one who has faith in the 2.0 and gmpp.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:45 PM

well im sure we all have our faiths etc. hopefully the market and mods will be great for both.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:51 PM

i like both cars but it just seems like the 2.2 will be alot more fun and easy to upgrade
Old 10-04-2005, 10:19 AM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, I have an opponent. Ok, lets see here....

You might be right. I'd like to check now that you mention it. I'm not so proud that I can't admit being wrong, but I will check.

This one I've got you on.

Hydra-Matic 4T40E / 4T45E Transaxle (MN4/MN5)
Type: four-speed front-wheel-drive, electronically controlled, automatic overdrive transaxle with electronically controlled torque converter clutch
Engine range: 2.2L (MN4)
2.2L - 3.5L (MN5)
Maximum engine torque: 190 lb-ft (260 Nm) (MN4)
220 lb-ft (298 Nm) (MN5)
Maximum gearbox torque: 325 lb-ft (440 Nm) (MN4)
325 lb-ft (440 Nm) (MN5)
Gear ratios:
First: 2.95
Second: 1.62
Third: 1
Fourth: 0.68
Reverse: 2.14
Maximum shift speed: 6500 rpm (MN4)
5800 rpm (MN5)
Maximum validated gross vehicle weight: 2075 kg
7-position quadrant: P, R, N, OD, 3, 2, 1
6-position quadrant: P, R, N, D, 3, L
5-position quadrant: P, R, N, D, D3 (MN5, Malibu)
Case material: die cast aluminum
Shift pattern: (2) two-way on/off solenoids
Shift quality: variable bleed solenoid
Torque converter clutch: pulse width modulated solenoid control
Converter size: 245 mm (reference) (diameter of torque converter turbine)
Fluid type: DEXRON III
Transmission weight: dry: 74.7 kg (164 lb)
wet: 85.1 kg (187.6 lb)
Fluid capacity (approximate): bottom pan removal: 7L (7.4 qt)
Complete overhaul: 10L (10.6 qt)
dry: 12.5L (13.2 qt)
Pressure taps available: line pressure
Transfer design: two-axis design, link chain assembly
Assembly sites: Windsor, Ontario
Applications: Chevrolet Cavalier (MN4)
Chevrolet Malibu Classic (MN5)
Chevrolet Malibu (MN5)
Pontiac Sunfire (MN4)
Pontiac Grand Am (MN4/MN5)
Saturn L-Series (MN5)
Chevrolet Cobalt (MN5)
Pontiac Pursuit (MN5)
Pontiac G6 (MN5)
Saturn Ion (MN5)
Saturn Vue (MN5)
source:Hydramatic

As you can see, the stock MN5 can actually take 220 ft/lbs of torque. Not sure where you got 205 from. And I am upgrading my 4T45E specifically to handle the kind of power that my engine will be developing. IPT is doing the job and the finished trans is rated to handle 400 ft/lbs. I don't need to go with the 4T65E.

I actually have it on very good authority that the stock crankshaft is good up to 550 HP with no issues. I can cite two sources. First is the GM sport compact performance build book. The second is Bates engineering. They produce a number of performance parts for Ecotec engines and build a number of complete racing engines every year. I have spoken with them personally twice during the course of my engine build and he has never had a problem with the stock cranks. And actually, its Eagle that makes the aftermarket forged crank. We looked into when planning my build and realized it was unneccesary.

The reason GM Performance Division recommends the 2.0L (86mm stoke) is all about the rod to stroke ratios that their testing (and the late great John Lingenfelter) has proven to be more productive and reliable under significant amounts of boost. ALL of the recent FWD records that have been set by ECOTEC powered cars such as Lisa Kubo's ION (first FWD car in the 7s) as well as Marty Ladwigs and Gary Gardellas Cobalts (first FWD cars to trap in the 200s) ARE ALL RUNNING 2.0L DISPLACEMENT!! But hey, maybe you know something they and the GMPP engineers don’t.

Well, I don't know more then those guys. But I do know that boost ability has to do with Compression Ratio and has nothing to do with displacement. I have reduced the compression on my engine using Wiseco pistons to make it more boost compatible. What does displacement have to do with it? What is a rod to stroke ratio?
Old 10-04-2005, 12:40 PM

i cant wait to see what halfcents car will do when its done