2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

pacesetter vs magnaflow knock off

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pacesetter vs magnaflow knock off

so after seeing some opinions of the pacesetter and the magnaflow from that mandrelbent company, im stuck on this choice

i can get the pacesetter for 200 and then some like 50-80 to get a resonator for it and people say it sounds nice

or i can pay 285 with shipping for the magnaflow from mandrelbentexhuasts

not sure which one would be better

any sound clips of the pacesetter with a resonator and any of the magnaflow
Old 09-24-2008, 05:20 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had a pacesetter with a resonator, and it soudned fine. once i added a downpipe, holy hell it was like a weed whacker. if you're goin gto be adding any other exhaust parts, i would stronly recommend against the pacesetter if sound quality is an issue for you.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:23 PM
Former Vendor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by nikebaseballx00
so after seeing some opinions of the pacesetter and the magnaflow from that mandrelbent company, im stuck on this choice

i can get the pacesetter for 200 and then some like 50-80 to get a resonator for it and people say it sounds nice

or i can pay 285 with shipping for the magnaflow from mandrelbentexhuasts

not sure which one would be better

any sound clips of the pacesetter with a resonator and any of the magnaflow

Hate to say it, but if you drive your car in the winter (Michigan) neither is a good choice. Both are aluminized steel and will rust off in a matter of 1-2 winters... Save your self some money in the long run and do it once, and do it right...

You are down grading, your stock exhaust is stainless steel. You need to at least get the true magnaflow cat back that is stainless. There is a reason why it is more, quality of the product.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
i had a pacesetter with a resonator, and it soudned fine. once i added a downpipe, holy hell it was like a weed whacker. if you're goin gto be adding any other exhaust parts, i would stronly recommend against the pacesetter if sound quality is an issue for you.
yea, i dont want to sound like a ricer

and im thinking of the zzp setup after i get a catback

if the price stays that low, thing is i can only get one mod at a time, for first card marking if the grades are there mom and dad get me a mod

Originally Posted by TurboTechRacing
Hate to say it, but if you drive your car in the winter (Michigan) neither is a good choice. Both are aluminized steel and will rust off in a matter of 1-2 winters... Save your self some money in the long run and do it once, and do it right...

You are down grading, your stock exhaust is stainless steel. You need to at least get the true magnaflow cat back that is stainless. There is a reason why it is more, quality of the product.
not true, i have a 2.2 its not stainless steel

also my dad has lived here 51 years and has had a wide variety of exhausts

he said the aluminized would be fine

Last edited by nikebaseballx00; 09-24-2008 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-24-2008, 05:35 PM
RBC

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Listen to some of my videos on you tube(I have the magnaflow): Track pass, inside, Dyno run. On the dyno run the silver one and the first red one are both magnaflow cat-backs. Hope this helps.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:37 PM

are those real magnaflows or the 255 one from mandrelbent
Old 09-24-2008, 05:42 PM
Former Vendor

not true, i have a 2.2 its not stainless steel

also my dad has lived here 51 years and has had a wide variety of exhausts

he said the aluminized would be fine

All cobalt models come with a factory stainless exahust... At least last time we checked
Old 09-24-2008, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
couldnt agree with u more. the pacesetter sounds GREAT without another DP or headers. with... ouch...

i kno from my car bTW..
Old 09-24-2008, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by originaladrian
couldnt agree with u more. the pacesetter sounds GREAT without another DP or headers. with... ouch...

i kno from my car bTW..
so i wonder if i got the mandrel bent piping and then go my own muffler for it.... possibilities are endless there
Old 09-24-2008, 05:44 PM
RBC

As far as rusting I putt a few good coats of high temp paint from the cat back and has looked perfect for the last 2 years. One of those years was in the north west were it was bad weather. I just ruffed the surface up a little so it wouldn't peel. I didn't want the polished set up so I got the part # of the unpolished products from magnaflow and had a shop with a mandrel bender do the rest and saved about $400. If you paint it properly the paint will last a long time don't let people that do it half ass tell you that it flaked off on them and won't work. Just get some black high temp paint and take you time and do it right.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by TurboTechRacing
All cobalt models come with a factory stainless exahust... At least last time we checked
well my 08 LT doesnt have a stainless steel

Originally Posted by RBC
As far as rusting I putt a few good coats of high temp paint from the cat back and has looked perfect for the last 2 years. One of those years was in the north west were it was bad weather. I just ruffed the surface up a little so it wouldn't peel. I didn't want the polished set up so I got the part # of the unpolished products from magnaflow and had a shop with a mandrel bender do the rest and saved about $400. If you paint it properly the paint will last a long time don't let people that do it half ass tell you that it flaked off on them and won't work. Just get some black high temp paint and take you time and do it right.
so if i get an aluminized just sand it lightly and paint it with high temp paint every 3 years or so to be safe?

i only plan on keeping this car for about 5 years tops as a year round car

18th bday/graduation gift=07-09 avalanche baby

Last edited by nikebaseballx00; 09-24-2008 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-24-2008, 06:04 PM
RBC

I guess you can repaint it to be safe but if you do a good job on it, it should last longer. Put about 2-3 cans on it, and let it dry really good before you put it back on. I would say let it dry for about 3-4 days, because the paint needs to cure so it is not as vulnerable to rock chips and such. I would check it from time to time and see if there are chips or road rash and touch it up if it is there. I just check it out any time my car is up on lift or any time I am under it, I don't really make a special event out of it our anything. Like I said I have had mine on for over 2 years and there is not even a scratch on it. But I never go a gravel road or anything of the sort.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im gettin that magnaflow from the mandrel place next week and ill post pics (with a magnaflow resinator bought separate) and you can decide if you like it on the vid
Old 09-24-2008, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by glen229
im gettin that magnaflow from the mandrel place next week and ill post pics (with a magnaflow resinator bought separate) and you can decide if you like it on the vid
thanks man sounds good, im still waiting to hear the pacesetter with a resonator

anyone got a video, what about the dude that posted earlier
Old 09-24-2008, 06:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
TTR is correct, the 2008 Cobalt LT absolutely DOES have stainless steel exhaust. EVERY Cobalt since the beginning of Cobalts has stainless. Its not polished 304, but it holds up well structurally, it doesnt stay "pretty" long though.

I think TTR has the Vibrant T304 catback for like $475, and both TTR and OTTPerformance have the true Magnaflow catback for <$550 right now

Save up a few extra dollars and get one of those, you dont wanna be painting exhaust every year.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Maven
TTR is correct, the 2008 Cobalt LT absolutely DOES have stainless steel exhaust. EVERY Cobalt since the beginning of Cobalts has stainless. Its not polished 304, but it holds up well structurally, it doesnt stay "pretty" long though.

I think TTR has the Vibrant T304 catback for like $475, and both TTR and OTTPerformance have the true Magnaflow catback for <$550 right now

Save up a few extra dollars and get one of those, you dont wanna be painting exhaust every year.
i dont mind painting it to save the extra $200+

its only gunna be a winter car for another 5 years tops

could just buy the megan and get a different muffler welded in for cheap

Last edited by nikebaseballx00; 09-24-2008 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-25-2008, 03:25 PM

my new thought......

mandrel bent piping

and getting 2 resonators welded in..... i want it loud but deep, or just a cheap muffler off ebay with a resonator
Old 09-25-2008, 05:24 PM

the pacesetter with a resonator welded on would be perrrrrfect
Old 09-25-2008, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by originaladrian
the pacesetter with a resonator welded on would be perrrrrfect
damn there are too many options

i need a pacesetter with a resonator sound clip

and that one guys getting the mandrel bent magnaflow next week so i can hear that

if i dont like either im going custom
Old 09-25-2008, 06:30 PM
RBC

damn there are too many options

i need a pacesetter with a resonator sound clip

and that one guys getting the mandrel bent magnaflow next week so i can hear that

if i dont like either im going custom
The magnaflow will sound just like the clips that I posted above.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by RBC
The magnaflow will sound just like the clips that I posted above.
i like those, just looking something a little more louder
Old 09-25-2008, 06:45 PM
RBC

The video or the exhaust? I may have some that I took right behind the car. I don't think it is loud but it is deep. When you are just driving around town, but when you get on it, it really wakes up but nothing obnoxious.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by RBC
The video or the exhaust? I may have some that I took right behind the car. I don't think it is loud but it is deep. When you are just driving around town, but when you get on it, it really wakes up but nothing obnoxious.
no i want an exhaust that is a little louder, im leaning towards the pacesetter with a resonator welded in

my aunts ex husband does welding so that would be free =] haha
Old 09-25-2008, 06:56 PM
Former Vendor

If you want the pacesetter let us know. PM us a link and we will see about price matching it.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:04 AM
Jn2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
borla

Quick Reply: pacesetter vs magnaflow knock off