2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

parts

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
parts

im newer to cars and i want to know are there any parts that i can buy to add some power to the cobalt (ecotech 2.2 l). I did some research and figured a cold air intake might help out. What could i expect to gain from one of these on average? Money is tight so i wouldnt be able to drop a grand here and there so try and keep suggestions on the cheaper side. Im not going to be racing or anything (its an automatic) i just want it to have some more pep to it. And would it even be worth it to upgrade an automatic?
Old 05-30-2006, 07:44 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nodakcobalt
im newer to cars and i want to know are there any parts that i can buy to add some power to the cobalt (ecotech 2.2 l). I did some research and figured a cold air intake might help out. What could i expect to gain from one of these on average? Money is tight so i wouldnt be able to drop a grand here and there so try and keep suggestions on the cheaper side. Im not going to be racing or anything (its an automatic) i just want it to have some more pep to it. And would it even be worth it to upgrade an automatic?

welcome bro... there's a couple things you can do that aren't that expensive... cold air intake is good, if you want to go totally free, try doing the airbox mod... gains may be slightly less than getting the intake, but it makes a little difference... you can feel go a little more... you can also look into an exhaust... you can get the pacesetter, which people have used and said good things about, it's like 169 at turbotechracing.com
Old 05-31-2006, 05:14 PM

and ive heard that CAI's will turn on the check engine light. Are there any that dont? Or is there a way to fix that? And how will that exhaust system you suggested sound on the cobalt? I fear having a car that sounds like a rice rocket (no offense to those who may like it, im just not a fan).

And i read the thread about the warranty and what i got from it is that you can upgrade the car but if an upgraded part causes damage then the warranty wont cover the problem. Did i interpret that right? And should i worry about that if i upgrade, or is that a rare occurance?
Old 05-31-2006, 05:58 PM
Get low

if your real worried you could get the GMPP exhaust its lower sounding and your dealer will do all the work for you but there a $$ issue..... i would reccomend the corsa exhaust it is probably the least riciest.... if anyhting just get a muffler that sounds nice.... If you want the intake that will ddeliver the most and sound the best let alone not throw a code... get the WeaponR secret Weapon..... i dont want to start another SRI Vs. CAI but they are both the same technically.... even with a cai you will get hot air comming in b/c the piping heats up.... it will only be a 1-2 HP diff if any in some SRI's and CAI's so all in all i say go with the weapon R SRI... also i have an automatic and dont worry man their just as fine as a manual... especially if you not racing....Even if you want to race later on Hurst is comming out with a ratchet shifter for us auto 2.2 guys....

other ideas would be just do some dress up may7be.... a dash kit, speakers, save up some and get some nice rim/tires or just rims that fit ur tires... the skys the limit and you can do alot of stuff cheap or free on this car.... DIY's are your best friend... maybe even lower your car
Old 05-31-2006, 06:15 PM

all right, sounds good. thanks for the help guys
Old 05-31-2006, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by nodakcobalt
and ive heard that CAI's will turn on the check engine light. Are there any that dont? Or is there a way to fix that? And how will that exhaust system you suggested sound on the cobalt? I fear having a car that sounds like a rice rocket (no offense to those who may like it, im just not a fan).

And i read the thread about the warranty and what i got from it is that you can upgrade the car but if an upgraded part causes damage then the warranty wont cover the problem. Did i interpret that right? And should i worry about that if i upgrade, or is that a rare occurance?
CELs occur almost exclusively on the SS/SCs due to the position of the MAF sensor. I've heard very few complaints about CELs on 2.2s and 2.4s with intakes unless the car was really being driven hard.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:21 PM

I've had a CEL in my car with aftermarket intake. It didn't last long though cause I just readjusted the intake and reset the computer all it was all fixed.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:45 AM

I'm also new to this pretty much and I'm also trying to upgrade or enhance the performance on my cobalt..I already have a AEM cold air intake, an exhaust system,and I ordered the pacesetter header for the car. Is there anything else I can possibly do to continue the rush? I heard that a supercharger for the basic cobalt either came out or is coming out? Where can I get one?
Old 06-01-2006, 08:04 PM

you can't get one yet, there is no scheduled release date on it.

Also you could look into some headowork or cams if you need more power. Or look into putting down the power that you have now to the ground. Better tires, torque dampner, short shifter...