2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

patriot stage 2 head qeustion

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
patriot stage 2 head qeustion

does any1 know if i get this head will i need to be tuned or will it run ok or do i need to change my cam;s or will stock do ?
Old 09-21-2007, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by BIG-DAVE
does any1 know if i get this head will i need to be tuned or will it run ok or do i need to change my cam;s or will stock do ?
it'll probably run ok with all the stock bolt-ons... but it sure would be a waste.

really you shouldn't even be thinking about upgrading your head until you have alot of other things done. Header, exhaust, intake man, intake, cams, and some form of a/f and ign tuning. Even after all that you won't really be able to take advantage of the head because we can't exceed our stock rev limit.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:22 AM

you won't need to be tuned to run the head but there is very little to be gained with it from a bolt on car. The head is ported too much for an N/A car on stock cams to take advantage of the extra flow.

probably the biggest waste of $1300 i've spent so far but i also went into it with the intention of buying some aggressive cams when the time comes so in the end it should all work out (hopefully).
Old 09-21-2007, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by IonNinja
you won't need to be tuned to run the head but there is very little to be gained with it from a bolt on car. The head is ported too much for an N/A car on stock cams to take advantage of the extra flow.

probably the biggest waste of $1300 i've spent so far but i also went into it with the intention of buying some aggressive cams when the time comes so in the end it should all work out (hopefully).
if we just had a piggyback that has better control over the ignition and injectors... Seems all we have is one or the other.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:44 AM

heads by itself wont do n e thing much, might gain a few ponies, but you'll definatly need upgraded cams. now if your already FI then it might help out more with some good tuning w/ stock cams but still not much. rule of thumb is if you do the head do the cam(s)
Old 09-21-2007, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Eddie
heads by itself wont do n e thing much, might gain a few ponies, but you'll definatly need upgraded cams. now if your already FI then it might help out more with some good tuning w/ stock cams but still not much. rule of thumb is if you do the head do the cam(s)
but since we have no way to increase our stock rev limit... we wouldn't be able to take advantage of aggressive cams. And since we can't use aggressive cams... we can't take advantage of an aggressive head.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Novajoe
but since we have no way to increase our stock rev limit... we wouldn't be able to take advantage of aggressive cams. And since we can't use aggressive cams... we can't take advantage of an aggressive head.
I just talked to a guy who owns this machine shop like .25 blocks away from my apartments. He has done a lot of head work on the ecotecs. He is currently trying to make a circle track engine out of the ecotec. When he said they ported the head, the only power increase they saw was when they put 1mm oversized valves in, and that was on the exhaust side that they saw the improvement. He didnt even want to do anything to my head because he felt it would be wasting my money.

Now if we could go up to 7500 rev limit and some nice cams, hell i would do it in a instant. Guess EFILive is outta the question.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Sw4y1313
I just talked to a guy who owns this machine shop like .25 blocks away from my apartments. He has done a lot of head work on the ecotecs. He is currently trying to make a circle track engine out of the ecotec. When he said they ported the head, the only power increase they saw was when they put 1mm oversized valves in, and that was on the exhaust side that they saw the improvement. He didnt even want to do anything to my head because he felt it would be wasting my money.

Now if we could go up to 7500 rev limit and some nice cams, hell i would do it in a instant. Guess EFILive is outta the question.
tell him to get himself a hayabusa engine. Those make AWESOME circle track engines
Old 09-21-2007, 04:44 PM

If your going to get the head there is a lot of supporting mods that are needed to take full advantage of it.