2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Please no flaming just Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please no flaming just Help

Hey guys... heres the story..

I just bought an injen CAI and I have read alot of threads about the 2.2L SAI problems... can anyone tell me what to do to install this intake.. Do I need a breather filter and If I do where does it go... I need some help with this so can anyone help me please? I dont understand it all either so if anyone would care to explain thats fine
Old 06-15-2007, 03:43 PM

you dont need the breather tube.. just take off your stock air box and remove your MAF sensor and just replace it with the CAI... there should be instructions that come with it
Old 06-15-2007, 03:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What you NEED is nothing. you can install it just fine. What will happen is if you dont have some kind of air supply for the SAI you will throw a CEL. Lots of guys have attached a small filter to where the SAI hose connects just so that you are not sucking dirty air into your engine and exhaust. Search for "restricted by SAI" My most recent thought process is to tap into an intake and create a connection for SAI.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:49 PM

So if I just put a small breather filter on with that still throw a CEL?
Old 06-15-2007, 03:50 PM

Which intake did you get? I had to return my Fujita and get a K&N since it's the only intake that will fit the SAI on it.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:53 PM

I've never messed with a SAI, DO they connect to the old breather tube? Or are they drawing air straight from the engine compartment.

If that's the case, why wouldn't you take that old breather and resonator apparatus out? It's just dead weight at that point right?
Old 06-15-2007, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by sick06cobalt
So if I just put a small breather filter on with that still throw a CEL?
I know guys have done it, and it sounds like it has worked for alot of people. Can't guarantee it won't throw a CEL totally.

Originally Posted by cobaltcoupe
Which intake did you get? I had to return my Fujita and get a K&N since it's the only intake that will fit the SAI on it.
Yea, I was going to do the same, but I didn't like the setup of the K&N (oiled filter which throws CEL's cuz our MAF is super sensitive, and that it is totally open to the engine compartment so it is also sucking in hot air) Which is why I am now thinking about getting a GMPP intake and tapping it for a SAI fitting. It is a sealed compartment against the hood so it is only pulling in air from the wheel well opening plus I am thinking of eventually making it totally functional by adding a scoop on my hood.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by monkeiboy
I've never messed with a SAI, DO they connect to the old breather tube? Or are they drawing air straight from the engine compartment.

If that's the case, why wouldn't you take that old breather and resonator apparatus out? It's just dead weight at that point right?
it pulls air right from the intake.

You can remove everything, but that will throw a CEL. there are soem guys working on a flash so that we can fully remove the SAI all together (will b shady) but haven't had luck yet. If they can do that, we would be able to buy aftermarket exhaust manifolds as well.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:57 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First of all, do you even know if you have SAI? Do you know how to find out if you do?

There are threads in here that...

1. Describe the system, and what it looks like.
2. Show which intakes systems are immediately compatible with it.
3. Show how to use a breather filter on the SAI if needs be.

We have to know what first if you even have it. Then do some reading.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by OrngBalt
I know guys have done it, and it sounds like it has worked for alot of people. Can't guarantee it won't throw a CEL totally.

Yea, I was going to do the same, but I didn't like the setup of the K&N (oiled filter which throws CEL's cuz our MAF is super sensitive, and that it is totally open to the engine compartment so it is also sucking in hot air) Which is why I am now thinking about getting a GMPP intake and tapping it for a SAI fitting. It is a sealed compartment against the hood so it is only pulling in air from the wheel well opening plus I am thinking of eventually making it totally functional by adding a scoop on my hood.
I am ordering a heat shield dry flow filter from weapon R for my intake. Should be sick once it's installed.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:58 PM

lol, there he is.... Once we start talking SAI Halfcent ALWAYS shows up... All of his stuff is the reason I know what I know.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:35 PM

it pulls air right from the intake.

You can remove everything, but that will throw a CEL. there are soem guys working on a flash so that we can fully remove the SAI all together (will b shady) but haven't had luck yet. If they can do that, we would be able to buy aftermarket exhaust manifolds as well.
Yeah that whole adding fresh air to the exhaust bit doesn't make much sense to me. Glad us 2.4l guys don't have to deal with it.
Why would GM do this to you guys????

Oh yeah...money
Old 06-15-2007, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by monkeiboy
Yeah that whole adding fresh air to the exhaust bit doesn't make much sense to me. Glad us 2.4l guys don't have to deal with it.
Why would GM do this to you guys????

Oh yeah...money
California Emissions It Dilutes the Exhaust... oh well. thats why guys are looking to delete. once its done, I will be doing it.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:42 PM

California Emissions It Dilutes the Exhaust... oh well. thats why guys are looking to delete. once its done, I will be doing it.
Good ol Arkansas. haven't taken a vehicle in for Inspection since 1994.
(we don't have them anymore, not that I drive illegally)
Old 06-15-2007, 05:20 PM

There is also the option of buying the K&N Intake and just switching to an AEM or GMPP dryflow filter.