2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Ported and Polished Head worth it?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 03:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by slowion2
we only opened up my exhaust sides, and took out the extra slag on the intake side. I am very impressed on how well these heads flow stock, but there's always room for improvement, within reason.

when i think "porting" i'm thinking of enlarging the ports significantly... i think the ports are pretty large to begin with... so, i'd call cleaning it up as a polish? i'm i incorrect?
Old 09-12-2006, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pretty much yeah. any time you open the ports up more than just taking out imperfections it's considered porting. realistically they're usually 2 different things, at least at some machine shop invoices haha, but yeah you're right.

like I said, all we did on mine was clean the intake side up, and open the exhaust side up a bit, nothing overly major. she loved the nitrous after this, a lot more up top than on the stock head (which had way more grunt down low).
Old 09-12-2006, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by slowion2
pretty much yeah. any time you open the ports up more than just taking out imperfections it's considered porting. realistically they're usually 2 different things, at least at some machine shop invoices haha, but yeah you're right.

like I said, all we did on mine was clean the intake side up, and open the exhaust side up a bit, nothing overly major. she loved the nitrous after this, a lot more up top than on the stock head (which had way more grunt down low).
So if I like low end torque, this may not be the thing for me?
Old 09-12-2006, 04:57 PM

it's a 4 cyl, it's not going to have a ton of torque to begin with

also, when you're pushing the car, you rarely have the engine below 4000rpm aside from maybe the initial push.

I didn't notice any real large drop in power below 4000, and anything above 4200 was a bit better and smoother. there are a lot of things that can effect this though, so your experience may be different.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vtecduster
If the money isn't a problem, why don't you use the cash you got laying around and upgrade to a car that's worth modding? (the ss/sc of course)

why is the 2.2 not worth modding?? get a life dude...
Old 09-12-2006, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Kahless
i thought the PP heads for the cobalt were supposed to be garbage??
The head on your 2.2 is the same as on my 2.2. Like I said I've sold 5 and never heard a complaint about them. Heck if it wasn't good I wouldn't run one myself.

They flow massive amounts of air. The stock cams work great with it's flow specs and it DOESN'T hurt the idle AT ALL. The car can compensate for the added air at idle way too easily. I haven't heard of a P'n'P head making a car idle bad in YEARS.

I normally sell them for $1299.99 but I'll cut someone a deal if they buy it and promise me some install pics and a full review. I, and Patriot, want both.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ouch for $1200 I'd rather get new internals....
Old 09-12-2006, 11:13 PM

Yeah it's a lot of money but you have to look at what your getting. A brand new GM head with a 5 axis CNC P'n'P, 5 angle valve job, 1mm oversized valves, stronger valvesprings, bronze valve guides, and titanium retainers.

Ask Halfcent...just the valvetrain components are over $800 alone.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:03 AM

with a p&p head you'll see less boost but it will flow really good to make up for it and then some. im running a 2.6 pulley and seeing 6psi but shes flowing like its roughly 10 or 11 psi (on my m45)
Old 09-13-2006, 03:59 AM

don't get me wrong, to each his own, and I understand that some people cannot afford a car that costs 22k US. But spending all that money to get speed out of a car that is not built for that purpose whatsoever just seems like a waste of money to me, especially when it seems like he could afford another 100 bucks a month on a car payment.
just curious what you have done to your car that makes you think a high 14 sec. car is worth dumping money into.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:41 AM

porting has the potential to open loads of hp, if it's done right, I went to school at the School of Automotive Machinests(S.A.M.) hince son of S.A.M. The Patriot heads may get you more hp, but as far as port design goes they suck, if you want real power have them hand ported from someone who knows what they are doing. And remember "Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?" Also, in a port design, velocity is beter than volume, Fast moving air is beter than more air.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:31 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by hypsy
The head on your 2.2 is the same as on my 2.2. Like I said I've sold 5 and never heard a complaint about them. Heck if it wasn't good I wouldn't run one myself.

They flow massive amounts of air. The stock cams work great with it's flow specs and it DOESN'T hurt the idle AT ALL. The car can compensate for the added air at idle way too easily. I haven't heard of a P'n'P head making a car idle bad in YEARS.

I normally sell them for $1299.99 but I'll cut someone a deal if they buy it and promise me some install pics and a full review. I, and Patriot, want both.
Let me know what kinda deal... I need to do this anyway and should have some money coming to me in the next week or so... If the price is right... I"m down
Old 09-13-2006, 08:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I dont know about the cobalt but a friend of mine just did his neon and there is a significant increase in power and he also gets alot better gas milage now. I dont know the exact numbers yet cuz he hasnt put it on a dyno but it deffinately worth it
Old 09-13-2006, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by charged_sunfire
with a p&p head you'll see less boost but it will flow really good to make up for it and then some. im running a 2.6 pulley and seeing 6psi but shes flowing like its roughly 10 or 11 psi (on my m45)
yes, on a positive displacement blower (with the exception of a twin screw/whipple) you will have less psi since there's less restriction in the head, but with much more flow. I'm glad someone finally realizes that too lol
Old 09-13-2006, 12:47 PM

If the money isn't a problem, why don't you use the cash you got laying around and upgrade to a car that's worth modding? (the ss/sc of course)
His **** doesn't stink does it??
Old 09-13-2006, 01:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
don't get me wrong, to each his own, and I understand that some people cannot afford a car that costs 22k US. But spending all that money to get speed out of a car that is not built for that purpose whatsoever just seems like a waste of money to me, especially when it seems like he could afford another 100 bucks a month on a car payment.
you realize if money isnt the isue, a 2.2 can be better than a 2.0 if you supercharge that as well, along with the 2.4...and as others said, a high 14 car isnt a great 1/4 mile car anyway...

sure is a fun daily tho
Old 09-13-2006, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by CobaltSonOfS.A.M.
porting has the potential to open loads of hp, if it's done right, I went to school at the School of Automotive Machinests(S.A.M.) hince son of S.A.M. The Patriot heads may get you more hp, but as far as port design goes they suck, if you want real power have them hand ported from someone who knows what they are doing. And remember "Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?" Also, in a port design, velocity is beter than volume, Fast moving air is beter than more air.
Thank you. You are absolutely correct.

Big CFM numbers on a flow bench don't mean big hp numbers in your engine. It's easy to hog out the ports and get big CFM numbers at max lift, but what does the head flow at low-med lift? Port shape is all important, not port area. It's much better to have someone who's been porting heads for years, like myself, hand match a port job to your cam profile. If you're running a low-lift, long-duration cam with lots of overlap, or even VVT like my 2.4, enlarging the ports is probably the worst thing you could do.

Making the ports smaller by flattening the floor to achieve a "D" shape cross section and smoothing the walls to reduce turbulence will give much better real world performance gains. Most "off the shelf" CNC port jobs are designed for drag racers running fuel and high-lift, high-rpm cams who need lots of peak air flow.

The same is true of header design. I can't believe all the Cobalt headers I see out there with 1 3/4" primary tubes. I'm sure they deliver better peak hp for the 2.0 s/c engines running high boost and an open 3" exhaust. But for all the N/A guys out there who just want a little more beans from their grocery getter, 1 5/8" primaries are a much better choice for overall driveability - delivering more area "under the curve."

Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:32 PM

i hate to say it but if you take that supercharger off the 2.0 i bet it aint much, just like the 2.2, without fi what can you expect, but you know what, some people rather go with somthing that has to be modded by themselves, not something that you buy with everything pretty well in the car, not to get off topic, but when i was turboing my 03 eclipse, with the evo 8 turbocharger, you can take a 20,000 dollar eclipse and make it over 300whp at only 13psi, now the 30,000 dollar evo takes 19psi with the same turbo to make around 240whp, now to use this example you could see that until someone puts a turbo or supercharger on the ls cobalt, you will never know its true potential. so imo you shouldnt bust peoples ***** unless you understand the entire story, maybe he wanted to keep insurance cheaper, insurance is higher with performance parts from the factory, on the ls, you could make 300hp and your insurance would be the same, you gotta understand alot more than he has money and you come along and be a d#*k.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:43 PM

I thought the 2.2 head was great as is from the factory...I don't remember exhaust numbers but isn't the head capable of flowing enough for like 300HP? or was it 500? I can't remember off the top of my head...
Old 09-13-2006, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by 06blackg85ss
Let me know what kinda deal... I need to do this anyway and should have some money coming to me in the next week or so... If the price is right... I"m down
I'm not gonna post a price in here. IM me. First one gets the deal.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:42 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
pm sent