2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Possiblity of 2.2L TURBO! (read on)

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possiblity of 2.2L TURBO! (read on)

I'm not going to directly link to it and get into trouble, as I was not asked to post this (ia ctually proposed he post it here).

If you go to www.*************** and look right on the main page, there is info of a company in colorado needing a 2.2L for 2 or so weeks to help develop their turbo kit that is currently on the 2.2 saturns. It says if you help you get FREE TUNING and a SUBSTANTIAL DISCOUNT.

More info over there.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:07 PM

He says he has a kit out already for the Ions but not the Cobalts. This makes no sense as they use the same ECM and there is no tuning available yet.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cawpin
He says he has a kit out already for the Ions but not the Cobalts. This makes no sense as they use the same ECM and there is no tuning available yet.
Good point.

I'm not going to say if this is going to be 100% great for you guys but I would like to see someone actually do this with good results as far as tuning developement. Any company can develop a kit for a car...tuning is a different story.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:18 PM

and a few posts down, they also endorse the maximum boost kit.....hmmmm
Old 10-31-2006, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by vaacoustic
and a few posts down, they also endorse the maximum boost kit.....hmmmm
lol good point as well
Old 10-31-2006, 07:34 PM
Banned

ya what gives
Old 10-31-2006, 07:52 PM
Banned

Rip Off
Old 10-31-2006, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Delta2.2
ya what gives
Who knows...Frank gets all over the place.

Frank is even on ecotecforum...well he joined but doesn't participate. I'm going to try and get him removed per permission from the Founder. He's a leach on real car enthusiasts.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:58 PM
Banned

to answer this turbo ? i have the solution. its called the LNF. and its called engine swap. i think that GM's new gen 2 ecotec is better anyway. its got direct injection and hitting 255 hp and trq from a stock engine. im just gonna be waiting for that engine if a turbo doesnt come out in times. plus this means that some of those stage kits will be nice to. my brother saw a 300 whp solstace with a different turbo and ecu and such that GM made for a show. so say hello to gen 2 ecotec if this turbo business isnt taken care of by HAHN
Old 10-31-2006, 08:07 PM

to answer this turbo ? i have the solution. its called the LNF. and its called engine swap. i think that GM's new gen 2 ecotec is better anyway. its got direct injection and hitting 255 hp and trq from a stock engine. im just gonna be waiting for that engine if a turbo doesnt come out in times. plus this means that some of those stage kits will be nice to. my brother saw a 300 whp solstace with a different turbo and ecu and such that GM made for a show. so say hello to gen 2 ecotec if this turbo business isnt taken care of by HAHN
Well currently it's a not a realistic swap.

1. Currently the LNF is only available with an RWD drivetrain
2. He'd have to find a way to mount the LNF motor in his engine bay properly since it sits (i believe the word is) vertical. There might be another word for it but I can't remember right now what its called.
3. Totally different computer/electrical system. Remember, the LNF is a 2.0 with Variable Valve Timing...computer controlled.
4. The LNF is only in 2 model vehicles which are sub 30K cars. It's hard enough even finding one on the streets, it'll be even harder to find one that is totalled with an actual running and not damaged motor and drivetrain.

Those are just some logical reasons why it isn't necessarily realistic.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:14 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NJHK

2. He'd have to find a way to mount the LNF motor in his engine bay properly since it sits (i believe the word is) vertical. There might be another word for it but I can't remember right now what its called.
3. Totally different computer/electrical system. Remember, the LNF is a 2.0 with Variable Valve Timing...computer controlled.
4. The LNF is only in 2 model vehicles which are sub 30K cars. It's hard enough even finding one on the streets, it'll be even harder to find one that is totalled with an actual running and not damaged motor and drivetrain.

to add to this, you can put whatever you want in... still can't tune for it whether it's this engine or a different one...
Old 10-31-2006, 08:17 PM

actually guys, this is a legitimate company...they did have a kit out offered for 2.2L Saturn Ions however it was for the 03-04 Ions which actually slightly differ from the Ecotecs in the 05+ 2.2s, it more closely resembles the Cavalier ecotec.

Their kit was offered by saturnmotorsports.com for quite sometime HOWEVER, they received negative reviews for a poor tuning solution and falling short of their advertised gains. Unless they can provide a solid tuning solution I would stay away.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:33 PM

If the rumors are true about the LNF going into the Cobalt a few years down the road, why not wait, save you pennies, and trade the base Balt in the for an 08 SS/TURBO if the rumors are true. Which I am still sceptical about.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:35 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SS4ME
If the rumors are true about the LNF going into the Cobalt a few years down the road, why not wait, save you pennies, and trade the base Balt in the for an 08 SS/TURBO if the rumors are true. Which I am still sceptical about.
it's just a rumor at this point...
Old 10-31-2006, 08:37 PM

Even if it does come out, people want to modify. Someone brought up a good point...

It's direct injected. Where would someone purchase bigger injectors for a direct injection system? There aren't many direct injected system'd vehicles, so where is the aftermarket for this?
Old 10-31-2006, 08:38 PM
Banned

ya ss4me that may be a better solution. but my cobalt i got for a good deal of 12000 dollars. so trade in is like only half pay. lol and thats assuming i buy the car off first.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:59 AM

Just thought id help with the word you cant remember. Theres two ways to mount an engine, they are transversal and longitudenal (not 100% sure on the spelling) but i remember clearly from a text i read a couple months ago that it was something like that, anyways, some kinda help i am eh? ;-) Anyways longitudenal being the way you are talking about.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:27 AM

Even if it does come out, people want to modify. Someone brought up a good point...

It's direct injected. Where would someone purchase bigger injectors for a direct injection system? There aren't many direct injected system'd vehicles, so where is the aftermarket for this?
I've seen their setup on an 03 4cyl Tiburon. Dont know if it'll be the same case with the Balt, but with the Tib, it used the stock injectors, and added a 5TH injector on the intake, right before the throttle body. Ugly, but I guess it got the job done.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:30 AM

what about the injectors from a direct injected opel???
Old 11-01-2006, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by 1SloBowtie
I've seen their setup on an 03 4cyl Tiburon. Dont know if it'll be the same case with the Balt, but with the Tib, it used the stock injectors, and added a 5TH injector on the intake, right before the throttle body. Ugly, but I guess it got the job done.
Ah...good ol' extra injector units lol.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by g5mike
what about the injectors from a direct injected opel???
ok. well tell me where you can buy some "opel" injectors lol
Old 11-01-2006, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Grimsaviour
Just thought id help with the word you cant remember. Theres two ways to mount an engine, they are transversal and longitudenal (not 100% sure on the spelling) but i remember clearly from a text i read a couple months ago that it was something like that, anyways, some kinda help i am eh? ;-) Anyways longitudenal being the way you are talking about.
Thank You!

You know what, as I was typing, I typed transversal but I was like "umm I don't think thats it...". Thanks for clarifying for me.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:19 PM

i don't know why people think a motor swap is that simple. do you have any idea how much is involved? people talk about swapping in motors with like 50hp more than the ones they have now. if you are gonna swap something in, either do it at the end of the life of your current motor, or go BIG power. do you really want to spend like 6-7 grand for 50 horsepower while you could build your internals, and throw on a turbo kit for less money and make double the power you are now?
Old 11-01-2006, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by 8cd03gro
i don't know why people think a motor swap is that simple. do you have any idea how much is involved? people talk about swapping in motors with like 50hp more than the ones they have now. if you are gonna swap something in, either do it at the end of the life of your current motor, or go BIG power. do you really want to spend like 6-7 grand for 50 horsepower while you could build your internals, and throw on a turbo kit for less money and make double the power you are now?
I agree.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 8cd03gro

i was thinking of going from my 2.2 ecotec of 145 hp to a 2.0 gen 2 ecotec with turbo that has 255 hp. thats a 100 hp gain before i try to do a bigger turbo or anything like that. thats why i was considering it. but looks like everyone thinks is a dumb idea

and my next question is how much would it cost for a LSJ swap? i mean is it just as hard as the turbo? or can i just build my ecotec up to a LSJ with the staged kits by GM. ?? thanks for the help

Quick Reply: Possiblity of 2.2L TURBO! (read on)