2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Power shifting, L, I, D

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power shifting, L, I, D

Hey guys, i know we've talked about this before. But it didn't really say how bad it is on the engine. On my automatic cobalt LT if i shift from L, I, D is it really bad for the engine? can i do it often? or will it just mess up my tranny like no other?

I've been driving around like this because i just think its kinda fun, if im dumb let me know loll. But i read about racing, Now if im in L i let it shift on its own even when its close to red lining just let it go and it will automaticly shift into 2nd? Sorry for all the questions, but thanks guys. I just want to know if i power shift often is it really bad? and will L shift automaticly? im scared when it gets up to red lining? Thanks!
Old 04-08-2007, 03:55 PM
Get low

just a warning u might get flamed but dont worry i think its a good question so before anyone says if u wanna manual buy a manual STFU lol.....

anyways heres how it works...

L=locks into first and second gear it is a very torquey setting.... It will lock into first gear up into the redline until second and then will stay in second, u loose direct drive(3rd) this way

I= sport mode or o/d off..... will shift normal from 1-2 and 2-3 but alitle delayed on 2-3 since ur probably pinning it, but u will not go into 4th gear(over drive)

it will not hurt the car driving in these modes, switching between modes will though considering you probably flooring it, and letting off and then flooring it when it shifts.....it will also kill your mileage from the aggressive driving lol... it wont hurt ur car right away itll be long term damage..... also the computer learns and compensates for your driving habbits... going from normal to WOT white nuckle driving alot and throwing the selector around will mess with the computer...... just be nice to it

all in all, its ok once in a while, just dont make it a habbit
Old 04-08-2007, 04:12 PM

Thanks! I know, i wish i would have gotten a manual but i needed everyone to be able to drive it here at home. Had to
Old 04-08-2007, 04:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can drive all the time with the trans lever in "I". The 1-2 and 2-3 shifts are firmer and at higher RPM (>4k part throttle, 6K at WOT) but you will not go into overdrive so your fuel economy will suffer. When in "I" it will also downshift when you slow down. GM says "I" is for "spirited" driving.

For maximum acceleration put the tranny in "L" and shift into "I" AFTER the tranny shifts into 2nd gear. Then into "D" after you've hit 3rd gear.

and there's nothing wrong with manually shifting -- you just don't have any real control of the shift points. IMO Chevy did a good job with the "I".
Old 04-08-2007, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by hosal
Thanks! I know, i wish i would have gotten a manual but i needed everyone to be able to drive it here at home. Had to
thats why you go buy a manual without permission and when they say, "well now i can't drive it!" you say, "good!" or they can learn.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:27 PM

I useda do that on my auto camry LMAO. Broke down after 3 months, so I ended up ditching it for a manual civic. Mechanic said it was probably caused by the shifting
Old 04-08-2007, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by lOwBaLt
I useda do that on my auto camry LMAO. Broke down after 3 months, so I ended up ditching it for a manual civic. Mechanic said it was probably caused by the shifting
That mechanic is FOS!
Old 04-08-2007, 04:59 PM

Heres a little description:

The 4T40-E is a fully automatic front wheel drive electronically controlled transmission. The 4T40-E provides four forward ranges including overdrive and one reverse gear range. The TCM controls shift points by means of two shift solenoids. A vane type pump supplies the oil pressure. The TCM regulates oil pressure by means of the Pressure Control Solenoid (PCS).

You can operate the transmission in any one of the following seven modes:
• P -- Park position prevents the vehicle from rolling either forward or backward. For safety reasons, use the parking brake in addition to the park position.
• R -- Reverse allows the vehicle to be operated in a rearward direction.
• N -- Neutral allows the engine to be started and operated while driving the vehicle. If necessary, you may select this position in order to restart the engine with the vehicle moving.
• D -- Overdrive is used for all normal driving conditions. Overdrive provides four gear ratios plus a converter clutch operation. Depress the accelerator in order to downshift for safe passing.
• 3 -- Drive position is used for city traffic, hilly terrain, and trailer towing. Drive provides three gear ranges and prevents the transmission from operating in fourth gear. Depress the accelerator in order to downshift.
• 2 -- Manual Second provides two gear ratios under most operating conditions. Manual Second provides acceleration and engine braking. You may select this range at any vehicle speed, but you cannot downshift the transmission into Second gear until the vehicle speed drops below approximately 100 km/h (62 mph).
• 1 -- Manual Lo provides maximum engine braking. You may select this range at any vehicle speed, but you cannot downshift the transmission into First gear until the vehicle speed drops below approximately 60 km/h (37 mph).
Old 04-08-2007, 05:11 PM

Yea, you can do it, but don't be surprised after something happens lol. This is a econo car after all.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
get with Steve for a tune and your auto will shift harder and faster then a manual ever could! Mine shifts under hard acceleration at 7000rpm and chirps the crap out of the tires! Second hits just as hard. He re-calibrated the downshift oints too so when you mash it the thing is like gone! Right now my 1st hangs in till 7grand and shifts at around 55 mph into 2nd (0-60 times really dropped!) 2d stays untill 7grand at around 85 and wham! 3rd hits like a ton of bricks! 3rd hangs in till around 120 to 125 when th OD kicks in and pulls steady till around 135 to 140. i ran out of raod so I don't know when the car actualy shuts down now.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:39 PM

So when the car is in "L" it will shift harder? Then when in second shift to "I"? When shift it to I? Then after in "I" shift to "D"?
Old 04-08-2007, 08:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
im pretty sure driving in L heats up the tranny fluid pretty badly...it will slow you by downshifting like in a manual...which is hard on ur transmission, so dont use L to slow down
Old 04-08-2007, 08:44 PM

Buy A Manual Lol Or Get A Shift Kit If They Make One I Had A 93 Z28 W/ About 450hp And It Was An Auto
Old 04-08-2007, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by potatoe
Heres a little description:

The 4T40-E is a fully automatic front wheel drive electronically controlled transmission. The 4T40-E provides four forward ranges including overdrive and one reverse gear range. The TCM controls shift points by means of two shift solenoids. A vane type pump supplies the oil pressure. The TCM regulates oil pressure by means of the Pressure Control Solenoid (PCS).

You can operate the transmission in any one of the following seven modes:
• P -- Park position prevents the vehicle from rolling either forward or backward. For safety reasons, use the parking brake in addition to the park position.
• R -- Reverse allows the vehicle to be operated in a rearward direction.
• N -- Neutral allows the engine to be started and operated while driving the vehicle. If necessary, you may select this position in order to restart the engine with the vehicle moving.
• D -- Overdrive is used for all normal driving conditions. Overdrive provides four gear ratios plus a converter clutch operation. Depress the accelerator in order to downshift for safe passing.
• 3 -- Drive position is used for city traffic, hilly terrain, and trailer towing. Drive provides three gear ranges and prevents the transmission from operating in fourth gear. Depress the accelerator in order to downshift.
• 2 -- Manual Second provides two gear ratios under most operating conditions. Manual Second provides acceleration and engine braking. You may select this range at any vehicle speed, but you cannot downshift the transmission into Second gear until the vehicle speed drops below approximately 100 km/h (62 mph).
• 1 -- Manual Lo provides maximum engine braking. You may select this range at any vehicle speed, but you cannot downshift the transmission into First gear until the vehicle speed drops below approximately 60 km/h (37 mph).
I believe the 05 models use the info above -- the 06 models use L I D and the I runs the tranny through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears (just keeps it out of OD). "L" in any auto transmission changes the way the transmission is used -- 1st it increases line pressure, 2nd it locks additional bands (if equipped), and 3rd holds the tranny in 1st (unless like the Cobalt's tranny it allows for predetermined shifts). I don't recommend downshifting an auto tranny to slow down. And the idea that shifting it will destroy it is bogus as I bought a Ford when I was a teenager and kept it for 27 years - after installing a shift kit, a low gear kit, and a B&M shifter I shifted that car hard every day and when I sold it it was (and is) still working.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:35 PM

Thanks guys!
Old 04-08-2007, 09:55 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/drag-racing-52/launching-automatic-brake-starting-36322/
Read that.

BTW, there really is no such thing as powershifting an automatic. Thats a manual technique.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:13 PM
Get low

Originally Posted by Halfcent
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36322
Read that.

BTW, there really is no such thing as powershifting an automatic. Thats a manual technique.
thanks buddy i was tryiong to find that for him...... BTW i know its not powershifting lol but we know wut he ment
Old 04-09-2007, 07:57 PM

it goes thru L I D so you pop the lid on your tranny from abusing it
Old 04-10-2007, 01:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

okay so im showing my newb-ness.. who is this steve person i'd like to get my car tuned, ive been looking into getting a manual conversion installed but not before i can find out if my auto can be ... uh ... "embraced" ive been told that you can push the auto so it comes close to a manual style power.. chirping tires and all that fun jazz

Originally Posted by Jackalope
get with Steve for a tune and your auto will shift harder and faster then a manual ever could! Mine shifts under hard acceleration at 7000rpm and chirps the crap out of the tires! Second hits just as hard. He re-calibrated the downshift oints too so when you mash it the thing is like gone! Right now my 1st hangs in till 7grand and shifts at around 55 mph into 2nd (0-60 times really dropped!) 2d stays untill 7grand at around 85 and wham! 3rd hits like a ton of bricks! 3rd hangs in till around 120 to 125 when th OD kicks in and pulls steady till around 135 to 140. i ran out of raod so I don't know when the car actualy shuts down now.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:53 PM

Sh*t!

Dude, so... you're FREAKING saying that my 2.2 is THIS awesome while I thought it was hella slow? ( Note, I only drive it on D, so... ).

CRAP.

I just did the Brake Starting thing, following HalfCent's awesome topic. Even though I didn't go for WOT, I still burned some rubber like hell. I think I never felt so excited while driving.

Then I went for the highway, and around this time it's empty, nice and dry, so I started at L, accelerated the **** out of it, then when it shifted into 2nd gear, I moved it into I. I stopped at 65mp/h, 15 over the limit, then I slowed down a bit. But I was like

Man, that was really awesome. For the first time ever, I thought about rolling my windows down and race this Acura that was besides me. I'd probably lose badly, but I held myself back since there're a lot of cops around here after 10pm.

But my question for you guys is...

believe the 05 models use the info above -- the 06 models use L I D and the I runs the tranny through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears (just keeps it out of OD). "L" in any auto transmission changes the way the transmission is used -- 1st it increases line pressure, 2nd it locks additional bands (if equipped), and 3rd holds the tranny in 1st (unless like the Cobalt's tranny it allows for predetermined shifts). I don't recommend downshifting an auto tranny to slow down. And the idea that shifting it will destroy it is bogus as I bought a Ford when I was a teenager and kept it for 27 years - after installing a shift kit, a low gear kit, and a B&M shifter I shifted that car hard every day and when I sold it it was (and is) still working.
Is this true? From what I've read, there're a lot of diverging ideas on this, and HalfCent's topic doesn't have much info on this either. I'm definitely not abusing my transmission and I don't plan on doing it, whatever the outcome is. But I'd just like to know if it's feasible that changing the auto gear from L -> I -> D will eventually screw up the tranny.

Thanks guys. I'll have to go give my baby a little g'night kiss now
Old 04-13-2007, 12:01 AM

Only thing I would advise is to supplement your tranny cooling somehow if you like to drive in the "spirited" mode for a extended period of time - heat will destroy
Old 04-13-2007, 12:23 AM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
With regard to Cobalt only, there is no difference in the transmissions from one model year to the next. They only labeled the shifter differently to better reflect what the trans actually does.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:28 AM

Yeah, from that short experience, I can say that even not going for full power, the engine gets pretty stressed. But like I said, this isn't something I'd do very often. But I'll definitely get another heat exchanger if I can.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:40 AM

Does "L" lock out gears 2,3, and 4? I accelerated from a stop today in L but the trans would not shift up.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by tonio5555
Does "L" lock out gears 2,3, and 4? I accelerated from a stop today in L but the trans would not shift up.
"L" holds the transmission in 1st gear unless you go wide-open-throttle (WOT) -- then it allows the tranny to shift into 2nd at around 6000 RPM to keep from overreving the engine. If you went to redline without shifting into 2nd you have a problem.
"I" moves the part throttle shift RPMs up to around 4000 RPM (WOT shift points stay around 6000 RPM) and the tranny uses 1st, 2nd, and 3rd but will not go into overdrive. You will also notice the shifts are firmer than when you leave it in "D".

Quick Reply: Power shifting, L, I, D