2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Question about Secondary Air Injection on 2.2

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about Secondary Air Injection on 2.2

I know this has already been covered however it is very confusing for me.

Secondary Air Injection on late production 2006 L61's https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-2l-l61-performance-tech-45/secondary-air-injection-late-production-2006-l61s-38488/

im sure it was coverd in the 20 some odd pages. I got to 13ish.

Anyways,

I also have one of them in my cali based retarded balt. I just placed a cold air intake and used this https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-2l-l61-performance-tech-45/ebay-intake-less-93802/ (ebay intake)

(BTW LOOKS COOL TY)

I purchased a small filter on the SAI and it went well for about a week. Then code like crazy. Autozone reset it for me yesterday. Came on again this morning.

Anyways i was wondering when Im at home i noticed a lot of pictures that have a little filter there too. Did this throw any codes for anyone else?

I have a good friend at the dealership Tech2 and he still wont reprogram it. They think its because of the tape i used got sucked up and sealed itself and melted blocking air flow. (114 degrees today. AZ is HOT!)

Am i screwed or is it just a filter that i am screwing up on?

Thank you,
Donald

Ps I can not view all pictures at work. They block everything some i can some i can not.

Last edited by dasudevil; 06-16-2008 at 03:28 PM. Reason: PS: Ps I can not view all pictures at work. They block everything
Old 06-16-2008, 03:56 PM

When I first got my CAI, I also used a crank case breather filter for the end of the SAI tube. I was getting DTCs for a couple months on and off. I would clear it, be ok for a random amount of time between 1 day and 1 week, and the engine light would come on again. I don't remember the exact DTC number, but the scan tool would describe it as "Incorrect Flow."

So eventually I said fck it and after another month or so, the code went away by itself and I haven't had a code since. I didn't change anything at all, it just stopped on it's own.

I know this doesn't help you much, but I'll let you know that it was the same thing that happened to me.

BTW, if you play with it, it may help. Make sure there is a tight, sealed fit between the filter and the tube. Go down and check for any holes or cracks down the plastic tube. I know it sits really close to the belts, so if you didn't lock it down well enough, chances are that the plastic tube was rubbed down to nothing against a belt/pulley. If you need to clear the code, remove the NEGATIVE battery terminal in the trunk (10mm socket/wrench) and hold the break pedal for 30 seconds to get all the juice out of any capacitors and then reconnect it. The code will be gone.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:26 PM

Thank you,

One of the Techs said he will take care of it and i went back to see what he did and it looks like he put some silicone putty around it to seal the filter on. Now im waiting for the putty to dry. Hopefully that will work.

Negative battery huh? Never thought of that. Ill have to give it a try if it happens again. When i can put up picks ill show you all what he did. May help out other members.

Thanks again
Old 06-17-2008, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by dasudevil
Thank you,

One of the Techs said he will take care of it and i went back to see what he did and it looks like he put some silicone putty around it to seal the filter on. Now im waiting for the putty to dry. Hopefully that will work.

Negative battery huh? Never thought of that. Ill have to give it a try if it happens again. When i can put up picks ill show you all what he did. May help out other members.

Thanks again
That's similar to what I did. It's hard to remember exactly, but I believe I used some super glue and got a really tight seal between the filter and the tube and the code disappeared.

The ECM is real sensitive to a change in the air moving through that system, so it pretty much needs to be perfect.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:28 PM

This morning check light GONE. I hope it stays that way. Ill give it a few more days. So far i think that would have to be a solution to the SAI.

Super GLUE, PUTTY, Whatever keeps it tight and sealed
Old 06-17-2008, 12:30 PM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...please use descriptive thread titles
Old 06-17-2008, 12:30 PM

Wow thats weird... I have never thrown a code with mine.

In fact when I opened up my hood last the filter had actually fallen off and still, no code.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by REIGN SS
...please use descriptive thread titles
sorry
Old 06-17-2008, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by TheDaves413
Wow thats weird... I have never thrown a code with mine.

In fact when I opened up my hood last the filter had actually fallen off and still, no code.
Yeah same thing happened to me a long time ago. I ran it for about a month without a filter and it worked great without a DTC, but I was worried about sucking something up and causing bigger issues.

Originally Posted by dasudevil
This morning check light GONE. I hope it stays that way. Ill give it a few more days. So far i think that would have to be a solution to the SAI.

Super GLUE, PUTTY, Whatever keeps it tight and sealed
Sweet...keep an eye on it though. Like I said it would go off one day and randomly come back 4 days later.

Last edited by kkanowitz; 06-17-2008 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost