2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

question on "engineering" a dual exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question on "engineering" a dual exhaust

i'm only considering it, because i know theres no gains, but the plus would be a little more unique sound.
thinking about having my exhaust y after the axle and split into 2 magnaflow mufflers(i already have the dual exhaust tips) i know sunfires and i think saturns came with a dual exhaust stock, so it cant be too bad.

my question is, how does the exhaust velocity work when it splits up? i know its good to have 2.5 piping in a single outlet, but does that apply if it splits into 2? i'm just trying to pictgure how it would work as good as single. should the second pipe be 2.5 also or something like 2'' to keep it going?
Old 11-24-2006, 04:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First of all, I wouldn't even suggest 2 1/2 on a single in your setup. I had a 2 1/2" on my duals, mendral bent and it sucked when I was n/a.

Fact is, it won't work as good as a single. You're basically splitting up air (exhaust) flow and that alters the velocity of the exhaust as well. It's weird but I noticed more exhaust coming out of my right muffler when the exhaust system was primarily ran on the driver side.

Also note that whenever you have bends, you have slowing down of velocity. It's a rule of thumb that you want to have the least amount of bends as possible, and if you have to have any bends, you want it as perfect of a bend as possible, but this is mostly referring to a single outlet exhaust systems.

Now, what some people try to do is have that y-pipe at a smaller diameter which is supposed to increase the velocity at that point, or so they say.

Overall, from a performance aspect, it's going in the wrong direction. More bends and more weight. If you're going for looks, that's a different story. Don't go any bigger than 2 1/4" naturally aspirated.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:04 PM

Also, sound difference isn't any greater.

If you want clips of my car when I was n/a, I can look for it.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:05 PM

If you were going to do that i would use smaller piping because if you dont you will loose back preasure and your power band will change hella, This is from my experience from my mustang when i was making exhaust for it.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Red06LS
If you were going to do that i would use smaller piping because if you dont you will loose back preasure and your power band will change hella, This is from my experience from my mustang when i was making exhaust for it.
It's not about the backpressure, it's about the exhaust velocity.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ran 2 1/2 inch on my Cavi that split into 2 2 1/2 inch pipes with Dynomax Turbo style mufflers on each pipe. I never lost any low end that I could ever feel but maaaan did my mid range and top end take off! When I was done the Cavi she ran the 1/4 in a 14.6 so it did me just fine.

BTW I ran my setup just like the Sunfire had it done.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:28 PM

i had 2 1/4" mandrel bent dual exhaust on my previous car.

going from single exhaust to dual I couldn't really notice any difference on the butt dyno as far as gains go...

i would have it with 2 1/4" piping, resonator, and y split at the rear to two mufflers
Old 11-25-2006, 03:36 AM

in person my exhaust sounds pretty sweet, any vids distort it though. its 2.5 mostly, with the ss stock exhaust up til the axle, that includes that huuuuge like 30 inch resonator that comes on the exhaust, with a magnaflow oval muffler on the end.

and i cant really say my full exhaust is 2.5, its 2.5 at the flange, all the way to the axle, but then it goes wayyy down to 2.25 CRUSH bent exhaust over the axle, then back to 2.5 straight back through the muffler. so should i even bother replacing the 2.25 parts? i dont want to spend all that money on a name brand exhaust, i like being able to spend 150 bucks and have -almost- the same thing.

the thing about the crush bending is, when it bends, yes, it does go down a size partially, but its more of an oval. so if you measure it sideways, its 2.25, but if you measure it the other way, i have no idea what the size is.

like i said, i know it wont give me any gains, was mostly just so people will stop talking about how 'rice' it is for my second tip to be hooked up, and to hopefully make it a little quieter/yet meaner. i know i'm going to need another resonator somewhere, because after a 2.5 downpipe and the gmpp header, its gonna probably be loud. so i'm probably going to have just pure resonator from the flange after the dp to the axle, lol.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:57 AM
Get low

sound changes ALOT...... its not because you have 2 pipes though./... that changes it alittle, what changes it most is the fact you are going to have 2 mufflers..... im running dual and i got an amazingly low rumble but im using a magnaflow resonator and 2 generic ebay cans....... BTW IF YOUR LOOKING FOR SOME EXHAUST PARTS PM ME WITH part#;'s i can get wholesale on magnaflow... infact send me a pm and ill help yopu out alot with it, what size piping and all and parts... i dont wanna hijack this so ill ttyl through pms
Old 11-27-2006, 06:04 PM
Get low

heres some sound clips... not trying to be cocky but i think this is alot lower than any exhaust i ever herd on a balt.....these are not distorted at all, i used best quality on my camera so i could only record alittle bit but this is exactly how it sounds in person, tomorrow maybe ill get alittle more vd, flyby and driving.... ive had this on for a while just never posted about it much

Idle..... http://media.putfile.com/exhaust-idle-40

Rev to 3g ,,, itt sounds like it was bearly reved but its because it keeps the low tone the whole way... http://media.putfile.com/exhaust-rev-54
Old 11-30-2006, 06:57 PM
Get low

bump...this thred died