2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Ram Air

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Jn2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i can gurantee u guys, i get boost no matter what RPM if i floor it...and i have a cut in my grill to let air in to my filter :p

Originally Posted by Mike85220
I remember that post and how that guy had a hood scoop that many people questioned the styling of.

It is all about how the GMPP intake sucks in hot air even with the cheap box trying to keep the heat out. Once the cold air was available, the numbers jumped 6 hp.

On one of these MotorTrend tv specials they had a speed shop talk about performace and said for every 10 degrees colder the air is, it is 1 more hp. The air under the hood must be 60 degrees hotter than the outside even with that protective box and original intake routing trying to get colder air in.

This is why I don't ever buy WAIs.

Everyone with a WAI dynos their car with the hood open which totally bypasses a realistic test, and yes the shorter pipe with all other factors equal beats a long bendy pipe. But, when it comes to temperature difference, a closed hood sitting at a light might actually hamper performance on the low end. It might cool down the engine bay once up to highway speeds, but I can't imagine it would be enough to beat the temperature of air the CAI takes in even with the factor of having a long bendy pipe being a modifier.

The ram air is nice as it helps the intake prevent any vaccuums from occuring as the demand exceeds the design of the intake, which usually occurs on the freeway at WOT.

The E-Ram for example, it really is not a device to try and create boost, it is more like an instant ram air unit. It is good for a few HP, but for the price, the fact a blade can get sucked into the intake and the debate on the power drawn voltage and amperage wise vs the hp gained is always argued. I know people with these on their car, and it gives the same kind of up and go difference as having a lightweight underdrive pulley but only at WOT. Not a big difference, but it is there. Is it worth $300 and the risk? It is not for me.

I also hear, some cars due to the sensor in the intake, does not work well with the E-Ram.
So it works on some cars and does nothing and sometimes pops a CEL on others.

I still love the Honda video of the guy going down the road with a gas powered leaf blower stuck on his intake, hilarious. They actually got a decent gain on the dyno. Any takers? lol

Last edited by Jn2; 10-08-2009 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-08-2009, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just for the record, air doesnt need to go past the computer in the old dodge cars
I owned the car, was part of the forum and know that the computer was meshed to the intake tube. Everyone agrees it was designed this way to cool off the computer from the incoming intake air.

For the ones who are lovin' the WAIs and laughing about this, are in denial.
Go ahead and dyno your intake with the hood down.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:14 PM

I owned the car, was part of the forum and know that the computer was meshed to the intake tube.
and i owned a few of them. the computer was built to have air run through it, but its not needed, i ran thousands of miles without the intake tube connected to any of my little dodge cars, no computer problems.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:50 PM

You are better off to have ram air and not have a constant draw of power on the car.
The E-ram activates only at WOT.

Again, if no one got the point that the E-ram is a variant of Ram Air and not an actual supercharger, then they missed the point. I even put up the common arguments on both sides.

I am not trying to sell an E-ram, end it.

WAIs suck. period. Unless you drive around with no hood on. Then one can argue the aerodynamics of not allowing the air to smoothly pass over the hood creates enough drag to eliminate any gains from the WAI.

Look at all the independent, not the owner of the company trying to sell the intake, dyno charts on both CAIs and WAIs.

The set of dynos I seen that compared the two showed the WAIs getting a couple more HP but the hood was open. Not a realistic test.

If that doesn't sell you on a CAI, it doesn't matter to me.
Not trying to be mean, but it really doesn't.

and i owned a few of them. the computer was built to have air run through it, but its not needed, i ran thousands of miles without the intake tube connected to any of my little dodge cars, no computer problems.
I wont argue that only because I ran the single variant for awhile before I showed pics and people quickly jumped down my throat that the intake tube has the computer meshed into it and needs air to cool it.

So really, since no test was done between one non-bypassed and one bypassed over a span of 50k miles to see if the computer would fry, no one is wrong here.

It may or may not help. I just didn't want to take the chance.

good luck in the rain
When I saw the guy with the GMPP intake and hood scoop, that made me wonder how rain and car washes are handled.

i can gurantee u guys, i get boost no matter what RPM if i floor it...and i have a cut in my grill to let air in to my filter :p
Motor Trend TV's special on Ram Air would have the experts lauging at most ram air set-ups.

Watch that episode and see why most set-ups don't give a true ram air effect.

In fact, their statement was, many manufacturers have added these ram air units on hoods and up front just for looks, and their functionality is in question. They point out the dynamics of how the air hits the car and deflects it up and away from these typical mounting points for ram air.

The relief cut on the hood with a scoop was not for ram air, that set up was to get cool air in and not the warm air. Of which is just one more proof that WAIs alone are not great. He gained a lot more getting outside air in there (not ram air, just outside air).

The cut outs you have is the same thing, get air from somewhere besides under the hood or even the fender which gets some of the hot engine air.

That huge tube I used was angle cut so at high speeds it would scoop up and force air up into the air box. I never got rain in there and never had debris either. It worked, no matter how ghetto it looked or how bad the design looked, it worked.

Hearing how picky the Cobalt is with it CELs going off every chance it gets, I would not ever try this on my Cobalt. Nor would I spend $300 for an E-ram which may shoot a fan blade into my TB.

You didn't just post an eletric supercharger post did you.
I would not post about a bilge blower, but as for the E-ram, I know people with these and have seen 2 independant dynos to prove they do work (on some cars). Work meaning there is a noticeable gain.

The gains are different for each vehicle, seriously 0 gain to 4hp gain (as I have said, it does not work on all cars- too many variables dictate why). Sometimes it is a good torque gain and 1 hp as shown on the link I gave on an earlier post. But as the dyno showed, there was a slight loss on the top end, as the unit itself is a blockage once it no longer poses as a help and it now becomes a hindrance.

If I had millions of dollars, I would get a Super E-Ram and do a full before and after test with video documentation of 3 different cars just to put this to rest either way. Either to credit or discredit this product as it matters none to me.

Last edited by Mike85220; 10-08-2009 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-09-2009, 11:49 AM

^fail^
Old 10-12-2009, 08:15 PM

/\Whatever.../\
I believe Motor Trend and the real facts about the WAI over you and your not liking the truth.
In fact i will continue on to say some people LOSE hp with a WAI. Enjoy your WAI and ornamental Ram Air.

Hate the E-ram if you want, I already said I would not pay $300 for one.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:04 PM

/\Whatever.../\
I believe Motor Trend and the real facts about the WAI over you and your not liking the truth.
In fact i will continue on to say some people LOSE hp with a WAI. Enjoy your WAI and ornamental Ram Air.

Hate the E-ram if you want, I already said I would not pay $300 for one.
When did I ever support or ever have a WAI on my vehicle?

But I would recommend a "short-ram" intake over your "angle cut ram-air super ground level snorkel" ghetto fabness anyday. Like I said, you're doing it wrong. This isn't a comparison of CAI versus "short-ram" intakes. WE ALL know that cold air is good. But nobody else runs an open pipe straight down to ground level for an air intake, because that would be retarded. It is great design for a wastegate dump however.

I just said your CAI was fail. Proper CAI = WIN

get it?

On the e-ram electric supercharger, well
I just keep hoping you'll do yourself a favor and drop it.

don't be gay sparky
Old 10-14-2009, 08:55 PM

The ram air is nice as it helps the intake prevent any vaccuums from occuring as the demand exceeds the design of the intake, which usually occurs on the freeway at WOT.
wait.... what? do you know how a naturally aspirated engine works?