2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Ready to throw in the towel...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ready to throw in the towel...

Well, i have gone through nitrous, turbo, and now i am at the supercharger

Nitrous, ZERO problems

Turbo, blew 2 turbos. One i knew was gonna blow. The second, i was pissed that it did blow, Garret and everything. Plus how many oil leaks, burning oil, losing coolant..among of some of the big ones.

Supercharged, i am at the point where i call it quits with boost or go for it, one last time
i have everything, i swapped a fellow member.

debating on putting nitrous back on and calling it a day. Sell all my stuff and start with a car that i have wanted to start for a while. The balt needs to be reliable...

Anyone interested in a FULL SUPERCHARGER SET UP WITH A FULL 3" EXHAUST STAGE 2 SET UP?
i am debating on giving up, i dont have the money to keep throwing at my car...esspecially one that has 24K on it. Nothing went as smooth as i hoped.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:13 PM
Jn2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey u still have my #? txt me
Old 05-12-2009, 07:14 PM

how much for the stage 2 setup without the supercharger
Old 05-12-2009, 07:15 PM

Custom cars, custom problems. I have mad respect for people that mod their daily drivers to the point of nitrous or boost. Cause it can and will break.

I wish you luck man, if you want my opinion, if your gonna do the supercharger. do it as close to a stock ss/sc would be and call it a day. You will have less problems that way...
Old 05-12-2009, 07:16 PM

silly to throw that much coin at the 2.2. Junk yard LSJ or LNF
Old 05-12-2009, 07:18 PM

I know how you feel man. My car is back to NA right now because I need a reliable car to drive. I'm keeping my turbo and everything, because I'm going to finish it eventually, but right now I gotta have a way to get me back and forth to work.

Money is definitely getting sucked straight into the car as well.

I recommend you get yourself a cheap beater car and use that as a backup. That's what I plan on doing.

Might get myself a small crx hatch and turbo that, not sure. Whatever you do, good luck!
Old 05-12-2009, 07:22 PM

^ Seriously GET THE **** OUT (MAX)

IF i would have wanted a damn SS/SC or SS/TC i would have gotten it. Now the whole modding a 2.2 is pointless,
i womped a SS/SC on my first turbo, with a slipping clutch at about 3/4 throttle, 5 cars in 20MPH (60-80) I will mod what i want to mod, now please leave my thread

Originally Posted by b_faulk75
Custom cars, custom problems. I have mad respect for people that mod their daily drivers to the point of nitrous or boost. Cause it can and will break.

I wish you luck man, if you want my opinion, if your gonna do the supercharger. do it as close to a stock ss/sc would be and call it a day. You will have less problems that way...
Yup, exactly. I realized that going into, thought i could save some money, when in the end i didn't.
i am just glad my motor hasn't gave, i think i pushed the stock motor the farthest anyone has ever, no internal work. I was running 12 pounds of boost on a GT28-60RS and the other guy who used that who's car lasted was runnign 10 pounds and put down 249,

i was running 12 pounds, i think i was about at 260-265 guessing :/
lol

oh and
i think i am picking up a CRX shell NO RUST
400 bucks with a friend. go halves
Old 05-12-2009, 07:35 PM

Yea, i hate when people say, why waste your money on a 2.2, blahblahblah...

The 2.2 is a great motor, cheaper insurance, and with the right mods will spank the pants off of MOST ss/sc and yes even SOME of the lnf cars...

I think buying a another ride isn't a bad idea, but if you don't want to have to pay double insurance and taxes and crap and you still want to mod your car, your gonna have to stop pushing it or you will be walking, lol... Keep it simple!
Old 05-12-2009, 07:42 PM

lol yeah, why waste your money on a SS/SC when there is the corvette? jeez lol

sadly, i think my heart has always been with honda. lol i love them and have always wanted one. Which is why i am picking one up

and yes, a stock pullied LS/SC will beat a stock SS/SC.
i loved my set up, but i handed it to someone else who has a wallet and i wanna see the potential.
its how much of a challenge you want, how much work you wanna put in your car.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:30 PM
Jn2

Hey I still want the stg2 hub/pulley
Old 05-12-2009, 08:39 PM

A stock pullied LS/SC will beat a stock SS/SC? Even if that were true.... which its not. Basically every SS/SC is a stage 2 so they have you beat there. Plus an SS/SC will actually run and be reliable. And a couple of mods and its over. So I respect the LS getting upgraded but the main reason you want the SS/SC is for all the suspension, the body, the interior and the power thats already there. With an upgrade to a TVS or a turbo kit and the SC is wayy better than any LS.

So basically.... I have to disagree... I'm just not a fan of comparing a stock SC to a highly modded LS. Modded beats stock... end of story.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:48 PM

yes a stock pulley LS will beat a stock pullied SS

i have seen it, from a ROLL the LS won by half a car. No car is reliable, sad but true.

Yah but, whatever you can do to a SS you can do to a LS. Turbo a LS. Turbo a SS.

it all comes down to personal preferance and what you wanna do
Old 05-12-2009, 10:15 PM

pay 10k extra over an ls for a supercharger, better suspension and more plastic ... rest my case, we can even include the lsd in our 2.2'S ... SS owners are swaping all these for aftermarket... i say it all ends up the same ... except, i'd rather do it myself ...
Old 05-12-2009, 10:41 PM

Seriously i have no problems with guys modding their 2.2s at all. But you seemed frustrated from a reliability standpoint, and i understand. I most certainly didnt mean to offend, but from a simplicity and reliability standpoint, a motorswap is the way to go. Junkyard FTW

keep the blower stuff, grab a junkyard LSJ, beef it up, get a professional tune, and drive your car.

Once again, im sorry.... and I hope you find a solution
Old 05-12-2009, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by MaxVQ35DE
silly to throw that much coin at the 2.2. Junk yard LSJ or LNF
It's been a while since I last saw some douche post something like this.

He'll run into even more problems trying to do a motor swap.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:11 PM

^as long as you want to make more than 250hp reliably in an LS youll have "problems"

again, if you cant figure out how to do a swap, that is category B

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-06...Q5fAccessories

may not be doable, but just to show you that for the price of some of these turbo kits, you could get a motor

Last edited by MaxVQ35DE; 05-12-2009 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-12-2009, 11:17 PM

Good luck trying to drop that engine in Balt. You'll have many more problems with that vs throwing a turbo on it .
Old 05-12-2009, 11:25 PM

dont give up! i know how you feel though. i waited 2 years to fully drive my cobalt again but it was well worth the time and money spent.

i think its funny you are buying a crx shell. i did that back in january for 200, perfect shape 90 crx si, but i bought it to mod more then my cobalt because parts are over half the price for it. i actually just bought a 90 civic wagon and im putting the rt-awd system in it with a turbo'ed vitara built d16.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:30 PM

Preston I think you should go back to NA for a while. It seems like everytime that you do something different with your car it isn't well planned out and quickly thrown together. Save up some money, think through what your plans and goals are for the car, then buy quality parts (supporting mods as well), and take your time making sure that you do it right.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by stealthy1ss
Preston I think you should go back to NA for a while. It seems like everytime that you do something different with your car it isn't well planned out and quickly thrown together. Save up some money, think through what your plans and goals are for the car, then buy quality parts (supporting mods as well), and take your time making sure that you do it right.
X2

That's what I did. My manifold is fucked, so I'm going to have to get it re-machined and in the meantime I'm going back to stock so I can at least drive around. There will be another day another time. Get some bills caught up and you'll be back. Next time you'll have a better plan and you'll know what you're getting into.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:25 AM

your a ****** retard, why dont you buy a already boosted car, everyone knows lt's are slow
Old 05-13-2009, 10:27 AM

thats why going n/a is awesome lol, pretty much full build daily driver, a bunch of extra spunk...and still good every day

sorry it didnt work out for you though, same with you sentry...that sucks that you guys have removed the stuff!!
Old 05-13-2009, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by DaREDss
your a ****** retard, why dont you buy a already boosted car, everyone knows lt's are slow
Why don't you send me all the money you wasted on your SS and go jump off a bridge.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:16 AM

dont give up... u know that there are problems and there is always solutions, and find that DAMN solution and dont give up... dont push that motor to its peak stay on 7-8 pounds and ull be fine and reliable, on the blown turbo thing...there is def a problem with a set up of oil or cooling...take ur time set it up for reliability and not POWER its worth it in the end
Old 05-13-2009, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by MaxVQ35DE
Seriously i have no problems with guys modding their 2.2s at all. But you seemed frustrated from a reliability standpoint, and i understand. I most certainly didnt mean to offend, but from a simplicity and reliability standpoint, a motorswap is the way to go. Junkyard FTW

keep the blower stuff, grab a junkyard LSJ, beef it up, get a professional tune, and drive your car.

Once again, im sorry.... and I hope you find a solution
a swap i would run into a MILLION more problems.

Originally Posted by stealthy1ss
i think thats the plan..i am thinking this winter
round 3
but doing it right this time

Originally Posted by DaREDss
seriously, you need to get hit by a train, twice.

well guys, i will see where i stand in a week. with my descision. i have a few people who already messaged me about the kit. so i will see
if i get a good deal i may take it, how sad it is.

but i will be trying this again, believe that.

Quick Reply: Ready to throw in the towel...