2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Rev limiter removed......quick test

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RedBaseBolt
If you aren't going to mod your car, then why are you making comments about others who choose too?

Isn't that like an oximoron?

Spanks, I think it sounds good, you have pretty much the same mods as me. What kind of power are you putting down?

I'm putting down 137whp without my tune currently.
See my sig

I never said that I dint want to mod my car, I said that I could not justify spending $700+ for 5hp, a header and downpipe.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
now, you are aware that that gmpp exhaust hasn't done much for you outside of changing your exhaust note, right? you bagged on me for my choice in tuning and you're still choking the **** outta your engine. that is where the oximoron truely lies. no one's jumping on your back but doing half the job is still doing half the job.....i.e. free'r flowing cat-back with a restrictive manifold, dp and cat.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spanky's Monkey
now, you are aware that that gmpp exhaust hasn't done much for you outside of changing your exhaust note, right? you bagged on me for my choice in tuning and you're still choking the **** outta your engine. that is where the oximoron truely lies. no one's jumping on your back but doing half the job is still doing half the job.....i.e. free'r flowing cat-back with a restrictive manifold, dp and cat.
I remember that some show on SPEED put a GMPP on a cobalt with the base motor and claimed something like 12 HP at the wheels. NO, I DON'T BELIEVE THEM. My guess is +5 HP, and with my intake I should be around +7 HP total.

I understand that I am not benifiting to the greatest extent by not replacing the entire exhaust. And yes I know that there are larger exhausts out there. The thing is that it looks way better than stock, (stock was completely rust brown and starting to flake) sounds better than stock, and is about 25% bigger (1.9" DIA vs. 2.25" DIA), has no crush bends, and both the muffler and the resonator are completly flow through. I dint want to lose low end torque, which is #1 reason I went with it. I also knew that it was quiet, reason #2. It was also cheaper than many of the others available #3. Better gas milage #4.

I am not banging you on your tuning. I said that I dint want a tune that I had to run high test, as its more expensive. A base model cobalt is not a "high performance vehicle". I also want to keep my powertrain warranty, at least until its up. After that point I might consider getting a tune myself. I think that a tune is the most cost effective mod that can be done.

Also, my ins. only cover up to $1000 in after market parts, so if I put anything else on it and someone totals it, I lose the money that I put into it.

My car works for me, it gets me from point A to B. I hope that your does at the stoplight reving, at the track draging, or were ever else you want to do stuff.

If I wanted a car that I could mod like crazy, I would get a mustang. There are hundreds of parts available, and the car needs parts to perform like it should anyway.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
and to you sir i tip my hat. to each his own. i didn't buy this car to mod like crazy but the more thought i put into it the more i wanted to make it unique. this is my tuner choice for better or worse and just like in the beginning for all the tuned greats you gotta start somewhere. i don't believe true turner cars started out fast or quick but were actually made that way by people who didn't give a **** about putting in the hard work to make the car what they wanted. in todays age of yuppie whinning bitches it's got to be blown, turbo'd or tec'd to be a turner to begin with. i don't follow this mold and i'll be damned if i ever do. so to you i say get from point a to point b with a smile on your face and i'll do the same and in the end we'll both be happy we came.