2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

RIPP Mods SDS or TC System for Chevy Cobalt 2.2L

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 09:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Let me guess...a centrifugal supercharger right?
Old 05-31-2006, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im goin turbo
Old 05-31-2006, 08:41 PM

i think turbo would be better suited for the 2.2
Old 05-31-2006, 10:52 PM

turbo gets my vote. It may be highend power but they tend to provide more than the supercharger and sounds cooler too. Not to mention getting a turbo would be more original than copying from the big brother SS. I want the turbo to be original and to blow peoples minds when they see a little LS fly by them and say wtf that only has a 145hp 4 cylinder
Old 06-01-2006, 11:51 PM

Thats what i like to hear

****, i'll give em my car if thats the case. Ive been trying to find something for us 2.2 guys to put on our cars. where are they located?

Cobalt Ls
- No engine work
- DVD Player/CD Player/MP3 Player/TV/AM/FM Radio
- Dual Crossfire Ten Inch Subs with Matching 400 Watt 4 Channel amp

Old 06-01-2006, 11:52 PM

Oops, i forgot... I would Like to have a turbo, thats what i think would be badass for the Cobalt
Old 06-01-2006, 11:55 PM

any type of forced induction option would be awesome, guaranteed they would make some money on it if they came out with something, considering they are basically our only option they would be crazy not to!
Old 06-02-2006, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by biniecki
turbo gets my vote. It may be highend power but they tend to provide more than the supercharger and sounds cooler too. Not to mention getting a turbo would be more original than copying from the big brother SS. I want the turbo to be original and to blow peoples minds when they see a little LS fly by them and say wtf that only has a 145hp 4 cylinder
Not all turbos are High end monsters...size matters. There are different styles, specs and trims of turbos out there. Small turbos can be low end monsters that provide a ton of low end torque but have no high end oomph and vice versa.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:13 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Add a poll, to vote Turbo or Supercharger
Old 06-03-2006, 11:14 AM

turbo turbo turbo, if u want s/c get an SS lol
Old 06-03-2006, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 06Pursuit
turbo turbo turbo, if u want s/c get an SS lol
I agree, if I wanted Supercharged I would have gotten an SS.

I vote Turbo.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by REIGNftSOLDIER
Add a poll, to vote Turbo or Supercharger
What for? It will serve no purpose...people will like what they want to like.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:18 PM

Honestly I see no point in this constant bickering back and forth of what is better between turbochargers and superchargers. You like something, you do it for yourself.

And not trying to put anyone in particular down but before you pick a form of forced induction, people should actually learn how it works completely, learn how to maintain them and the motor and learn how it effects your motor. There are too many people here who say "Turbochargers are cooler cause they have blow off valves" or "Superchargers are cooler cause they whine"...if you're getting forced induction just for super cool sounds than you shouldn't be doing it. I will admit, they do sound somewhat cool but it's not why I or anyone else should get forced induction, you do it for power, plain and simple.

Sorry for my ranting but just had to get this out.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:02 AM

A poll would probably help.
That way, RIPP will know what people want more. If there are more people willing to buy a TC than an SC then I'm sure taht's what RIPP is going to build.

The thing is that A LOT of tuners don't know how a TC system works. As long as it just works, they're happy. That's why there are kits built that take the guesswork out of creating one yourself even though it's cheaper to go that route.

Aside from that, these companies provide tech support and guidance that will help customers maintain their engines to the fullest. Having the correct know-how sure helps but let's face it, it's not required.

Besides, after taking a look at the engine bay of our cars, creating a centrifugal SC might be difficult. Not impossible, but it will be cramped. Perhaps a TC system is the way to go. It sure helps that our battery is already in the trunk

I'll be e-mailing RIPP later tomorrow to see about the whole group buy thing. Even if we just get about 5 people FOR SURE, that should cover the cost of R&D for at least either the manual or auto.
In all honesty, creating a TC system for the Cobalt might be cheaper too. I would have no doubt that RIPP would offer a competative price. Even if they decide to go with an SDS, the gains will be great.

If people want to get an FI application for the BOV sound then they should. Doesn't matter if they don't know how either forced induction application works. RIPP (or ANY manufactuer) isn't going to market a kit that REQUIRES you to know how it works. But I;m sure a person doesn't get a centrifugal SC or TC system "just" for the BOV sound. I'm sure they know these applications add power to the cars. That's just an added bonus. If the BOV sound wasn't important to people, then manufactuers wouldn't make so many different ones with so many different sounds.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:19 AM

sounds interesting i would donate my car as well, sounds great get them rolling
Old 06-04-2006, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Tripy
A poll would probably help.
That way, RIPP will know what people want more. If there are more people willing to buy a TC than an SC then I'm sure taht's what RIPP is going to build.
A poll saying if turbos or superchargers are better is pointless...it's a never ending poll that will go no where and serve no purpose. If we get 1 million votes saying superchargers are better, does that mean they are? NO! It's personal preference. A poll like this won't benefit a company like RIPP. Now, a poll saying "Who is interested in buying bla bla bla part from RIPP?" is beneficial.

The thing is that A LOT of tuners don't know how a TC system works. As long as it just works, they're happy. That's why there are kits built that take the guesswork out of creating one yourself even though it's cheaper to go that route.
And just because they don't know something doesn't mean that they don't have the opportunity to learn it if they really want to. This is why we have forums. People come on here, ask questions, learn and hopefully replicate what they learn in real life. The problem with your statement is that putting on any type of forced induction on a vehicle that comes naturally aspirated and crossing your fingers is rediculous and ignorant. Would you buy a house without asking any details about the house property, structure, history? No. It would foolish to do something like that. It's all common sense. Things don't just magically work, they work for a reason.

Aside from that, these companies provide tech support and guidance that will help customers maintain their engines to the fullest. Having the correct know-how sure helps but let's face it, it's not required.
If people want to get an FI application for the BOV sound then they should. Doesn't matter if they don't know how either forced induction application works.
From a tuners standpoint, that is one of the most irresponsible comments I've ever read. You're basically telling people "Who cares on how it works and if things are running properly...IT MAKES A NIFTY NOISE!". By telling people this you're advocating proper maintenance of a boosted vehicle. When you modify something, you should know how it works, period! Why? Cause if something is going wrong or already went wrong, you'll know exactly why and also for the plain fact that you should CARE about your vehicle and how it's performing.

If you put lowering springs on your car and start bottoming out, you should know that your car needs a new dampering system...same theory for your motor and your setup.

RIPP (or ANY manufactuer) isn't going to market a kit that REQUIRES you to know how it works.
Of course not, they want your money...you mess something up...more money from you cause you have to replace it.

But I;m sure a person doesn't get a centrifugal SC or TC system "just" for the BOV sound. I'm sure they know these applications add power to the cars. That's just an added bonus. If the BOV sound wasn't important to people, then manufactuers wouldn't make so many different ones with so many different sounds.
You'd be suprised. You should read more of what people say on these forums in regards to forced induction.

Overall, I hope you change your views on why people should get items of forced induction and how they handle having them.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:26 AM

I would be interested if they didnt want 3 grand for a S/C setup. I can do a turbo for cheaper and get more gains... but if they could get it around 2 i would give them the money right now to do it
Old 06-04-2006, 03:56 AM

if you just want a bov sound, they sell speaker systems you can mount to your car that will make the noise everytime you shift

buy something for the power gains, dont be irresponsible
Old 06-04-2006, 06:02 AM

tripy got pwned
Old 06-04-2006, 04:19 PM

pwned?

Oh please

Reading comprehension > NJHk & snobird

I would take the time to respond to each and every one of his comments but he'd probably take it out of context again and go on another quoting spree. Maybe later tonight... who knows....
Old 06-04-2006, 04:46 PM

pwned?

Oh please

Reading comprehension > NJHk & snobird

I would take the time to respond to each and every one of his comments but he'd probably take it out of context again and go on another quoting spree. Maybe later tonight... who knows....
Ok, please tell me how I took what you said out of context...if I'm wrong and you correct me, I'll admit I was wrong, so please feel free to correct me if I was mistaken.
Old 06-04-2006, 04:49 PM

can you correct or was he right hmmmmmmm Reading comprehension big word for ya i bet get some more posts
Old 06-06-2006, 02:17 AM

Ok... let's see... where was I? Oh yeah....

Rather than let you two hijack this thread, feel free to start another one where we can all go on quoting sprees, disecting every sentence of each other's posts to try to prove whatever point it is we're trying to prove. There's no point is bastardizing this thread.

Now, NJHK, there is one thing I will address here. Nowhere in this thread was there a *hint* of anyone wanting to add a poll to determine whether an SC or TC is better. Almost all the posts where someone says "TC for me!" or "SC for me!" is merely a post telling me what they would want RIPP to build or what they prefer. That argument never came up until you took someone's suggestion for a poll out of context and thought they meant the poll was to prove which was better.

I myself also said a poll would help since RIPP Mods wants to know what we want. They're not going to build both applications for both the auto and manual. Where you even THOUGHT the poll was to prove which is better I have no idea.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by snobird
can you correct or was he right hmmmmmmm Reading comprehension big word for ya i bet get some more posts
As for this comment... well... laughable comes to mind.
As for why I said reading comprehension > you is already stated in my post above.
Second, what does my post count have anything to do with, well, anything? You've been here since May this year and you've got over 400? Wow, good for you. I didn't know that the less posts someone has the less credability they have on a forum

If you notice the majority of my posts a days between eachother. I choose not to spend a lot of my time on this forum merely because there are better things I'd rather do than post away on car forums. I prefer quality over quantity when it comes to my posts. If you feel special that you pay your fee to be a premium member and post whored your way to a large post count then you go right ahead and pat yourself on the back Perhaps you can try adding something of worth to either this post or another in this tech forum.

But as long as my post count is smaller than yours then I guess I can't win with you, huh?
Old 06-06-2006, 02:31 AM

Ok... let's see... where was I? Oh yeah....

Rather than let you two hijack this thread, feel free to start another one where we can all go on quoting sprees, disecting every sentence of each other's posts to try to prove whatever point it is we're trying to prove. There's no point is bastardizing this thread.

Now, NJHK, there is one thing I will address here. Nowhere in this thread was there a *hint* of anyone wanting to add a poll to determine whether an SC or TC is better. Almost all the posts where someone says "TC for me!" or "SC for me!" is merely a post telling me what they would want RIPP to build or what they prefer. That argument never came up until you took someone's suggestion for a poll out of context and thought they meant the poll was to prove which was better.

I myself also said a poll would help since RIPP Mods wants to know what we want. They're not going to build both applications for both the auto and manual. Where you even THOUGHT the poll was to prove which is better I have no idea.
Alright, I could understand where I might have taken that out of context and I apologize. Originally, by the way the previous few posts were going, it sounded as they were saying which was better and not which one they should develop. I apologize for that...everything else though that you said that I quoted you upon, was not taken out of context. I said what I said because that's how I feel about the situation. This is an open forum where we discuss things...if you felt that this needed to be in another thread than you should have started another thread to discuss this initially instead of replying to what I said.

As far as me going on a "quoting spree", this is how people should address things on a forum, you quote what you are addressing to. If you look at most of my posts, I quote whatever I'm addressing, so you're not the acception.

So if you want to make that thread, go ahead and we'll discuss it more there.

Quick Reply: RIPP Mods SDS or TC System for Chevy Cobalt 2.2L