2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Royal Purple tranny fluid

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Royal Purple tranny fluid

Hey about how much quarts of tranny fluid does our 2.2 auto tranny take? I just got done installing my zex wet kit with 65shot (75shot once i get my other toys !)...will put on Xtc downpipe, xtc headers (waiting for new ones for the 2005 2.2 to come out since the issue with fitting. I already e-mailed the guy and he said i about a month or so), and Corsa touring once it comes in (I'll get pics and everything you guys like soon, don't worry). Any wayz, i'm changing oil and tranny fluid before a start shooting N2O, just to have it running smooth. Oh, I also just got new tires, michellin pilot exalto. Freakin LOVE these tires!! Definite recommendation to anyone. Sorry. so let me know. Thanks. Oh, also if anyone can help me with this please do...can our cars handle the 400hp or 600hp since our ECUs, or whatever it, hasn't been cracked yet? I mite start my build sometime next year. I already started buying a few parts.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
...can our cars handle 400? you mean the engine? definitely not....the computer? i would imagine....after tuning of course.....the suspension?
what part of the car?
Old 12-01-2006, 12:09 AM

well i mean can it be done with the stock ECU. the build in the gm build book on the 2.2 ecotec is what im talkin about, with 150shot if anything, since there is no turbo kit.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:31 AM

im not certain but i would imagine some sort of tuning would be needed....or a wideband sensor

along with a new engine....thats gonna need a heavy build...and there will prolly be a turbo released by the time your done with that build
Old 12-01-2006, 12:43 AM

have you read the build book? for the 400hp build, itz not that much stuff...i mean yea itz work work, but no heavy modifitcation. I know itz possible and the build is for our engines, i just need to know if we still need to have our ecu cracked for it...i would think not since most of the power is coming form the nitrous wet kit and it gets its own supply of gas, but i mite b wrong. I have a link to the build book if you wan c it. thanks for your reply though.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:25 AM

well, youd need a lot of work done to the bottom end...maybe some neutral shafts, improved springs...forged heads, forged connecting rods and lah blah blah

that aint cheap....
Old 12-01-2006, 04:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lil_kano
well i mean can it be done with the stock ECU. the build in the gm build book on the 2.2 ecotec is what im talkin about, with 150shot if anything, since there is no turbo kit.
Umm...please tell me you're not trying to even go higher than an hundred shot on an stock engine.

There is much more to a nitrous setup than just spraying. There is alot of preporation. Also, you need to have the understanding of how much force is created from a large shot of nitrous like that. This is why GM snapped all 4 connecting rods simultaneously.

Also, I would get a wideband if I were you cause of the issue of closed loop.

Messing with a high shot like that, you need to think about your:

Fuel Pump
Spark Plugs
Connecting Rods

There are many other nitrous related things you need to look out for as well.

As far as reaching 400 HP, you're not reaching that amount of power without doing a motor upgrade and you're defenitley not reaching that with nitrous.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:49 AM

have you read the build book? for the 400hp build, itz not that much stuff...i mean yea itz work work, but no heavy modifitcation. I know itz possible and the build is for our engines, i just need to know if we still need to have our ecu cracked for it...i would think not since most of the power is coming form the nitrous wet kit and it gets its own supply of gas, but i mite b wrong. I have a link to the build book if you wan c it. thanks for your reply though.
If re-building an engine is no problem for you, than yeah I can see that but it's not that easy like it's a plug and play kind of power. Making an engine gain almost 300 horsepower over stock and especially if the engine was naturally aspirated is DEFENITLEY not easy and is very involved.

Just do more reading before you start hooking up nitrous kits and changing the nitrous jets.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
im not certain but i would imagine some sort of tuning would be needed....or a wideband sensor

along with a new engine....thats gonna need a heavy build...and there will prolly be a turbo released by the time your done with that build
This is true! a turbo will be out shortly.What do you think a shot like that would do to your stock valvetrain also? you might want to consider some performance valves that can take the heat,trust me I know bending the stock valves can be done
Old 12-01-2006, 06:37 AM

NJHK at it again!!
Old 12-01-2006, 10:15 AM
Banned

Stock motor can safely handle 75, if you up it you need to get forged pistons, connecting rods and might want to consider better valves, otherwise you'll see a piston fly upward through your hood. If you don't take this advice, carry a camera and record it at all times! (I wanna see a piston shoot)
Old 12-01-2006, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by xspyder85x
NJHK at it again!!
I try
Old 12-01-2006, 04:15 PM
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NJHK
This is why GM snapped all 4 connecting rods simultaneously.
This is a bit of an Ecotec "myth" I'm afraid. The initial failure was a single rod (beam fatigue near the large end) and the rest was "collateral damage"
RIP JL
Wop
Old 12-01-2006, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by WopOnTour
This is a bit of an Ecotec "myth" I'm afraid. The initial failure was a single rod (beam fatigue near the large end) and the rest was "collateral damage"
RIP JL
Wop
What?

Next thing you're gonna tell me is Santa Clause doesn't exist...
Old 12-01-2006, 04:18 PM
Premium Member

Lol
Old 12-01-2006, 08:08 PM

See: https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/drivetrain-79/4t45e-4t40e-trans-info-gm-39613/
Old 12-02-2006, 12:19 AM

NO. you guys aren't understanding me. i know what needs to be done to use nitrous. I'm sayin that in the build book it gives you 2 options to achieve 400hp. 1. use the 150shot wet kit w/ a few internal upgrades. 2. use a turbo kit, which there aren't any for our cars yet. Now my question was that with these upgrades and the nitrous kit, does our ECU have to be modified/ cracked?
Old 12-02-2006, 07:59 PM

Im pretty sure youll need to upgrade the tranny, just in case you overlooked it
Old 12-02-2006, 08:12 PM

NO. you guys aren't understanding me. i know what needs to be done to use nitrous. I'm sayin that in the build book it gives you 2 options to achieve 400hp. 1. use the 150shot wet kit w/ a few internal upgrades. 2. use a turbo kit, which there aren't any for our cars yet. Now my question was that with these upgrades and the nitrous kit, does our ECU have to be modified/ cracked?
The reason we are going off base from your original question of transmission fluid is cause you're making it seem much easier than it really is. "150 shot with a few internal upgrades", do you even realize what they upgrades are, how involved it is to do bottom end work, how much these parts cost, what to look for when buying these parts and I could keep going on and on.

We are trying to give you sound advice and I'm telling you now, you're not reaching 400 horsepower with 150 shot of nitrous.

Do you understand how a wet kit works? Do you understand what a wet kit is? Do you understand what kind of fuel system you have?

To atleast answer one of your questions, no, you don't necessarily have to have a modifed PCM but you would understand why if you understood how nitrous systems work.

I'm not trying to rip you apart or anything but just point that this might be a bit over your head at this point and you need to stop and re-evaluate what your doing and your plans. Research more. Ask more questions. This is my suggestion to you...take it or leave it.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by hubes
Im pretty sure youll need to upgrade the tranny, just in case you overlooked it
For 400 Horsepower, yes.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by NJHK
The reason we are going off base from your original question of transmission fluid is cause you're making it seem much easier than it really is. "150 shot with a few internal upgrades", do you even realize what they upgrades are, how involved it is to do bottom end work, how much these parts cost, what to look for when buying these parts and I could keep going on and on.

We are trying to give you sound advice and I'm telling you now, you're not reaching 400 horsepower with 150 shot of nitrous.

Do you understand how a wet kit works? Do you understand what a wet kit is? Do you understand what kind of fuel system you have?

To atleast answer one of your questions, no, you don't necessarily have to have a modifed PCM but you would understand why if you understood how nitrous systems work.

I'm not trying to rip you apart or anything but just point that this might be a bit over your head at this point and you need to stop and re-evaluate what your doing and your plans. Research more. Ask more questions. This is my suggestion to you...take it or leave it.
yes, I do know what i'm doing. I've been around built engines all my life. For the actual build, my friends father owns a private shop about 15mins away. As for what is needed, new pistons, connecting rods, head gasket, vavle springs & retainers, and the wet kit. A wet kit is a shot of nos with the nos using its own supply of gas to create a mixture and shoots it into your intake which then causes a bigger cumbustion by releasing more oxygen in the chambers. I have a non-return type fuel system, dtz y itz nt just a plug and play hook up for some dry kits for our cars. As far as the tranny goes, im not fully knowledgable, but my friends father will be doing its rebuild but im guessing a new tourqe converter and mayb some other parts to streghnten it up. So yes i do undertsand my situaution, i've done my research, and i understand your point of veiw and i appreciate it. realy i do. but i asked the quesition about the tranny fluid, because for nw im just doing a 65 shot, once i get my headers, downpipe and exhauhst then im going to put the 75shot. im asking about the 400hp, because i read the gm ecotec build book and thats what it said....400hp can be achieved with the upgrades listed above and a 150shot of nitrous. I have no problem with riping my car apart, it will be work, but nothing new to me. I must admit i've never actualy done my 'own' build but i've worked with my father on his builds before. As far as cost, i know it aint cheap, thats why i said i've been buying stuff little by little and probably won't do my build until sometime early next year, maybe after my b-day in april. I can go on into detail about my plans, but im just tring to show that i do know, and i am planning, this is why im asking questions. i might have stated myself wrongly, so im just trying to fix myself.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:27 PM

well then theres my question again....why not just wait for the turbo since ur not even gonna build the engine for a while...turbo's are 1-2 months away, n tuning wont be too long, though probably more than the 1-2 months for the turbo....i always have seen turbos as a much more cost effective way to get high horsepower...not to mention its constant horsepwer opposed to a shot which only lasts as long as the shot does
Old 12-02-2006, 10:31 PM
Premium Member

A huge shot of nitrous is especially hard on an automatic transaxle, unless you can "stage" it somehow.

But its gonna take more than Royal Purple to bring the 4T45E up to the level required to deal with 350+ lb/ft of TQ. The torque converter will be the least of your worries.In particular the input shaft and input gearset will need to be hardened, omproved clutch plates and likely TCM or other valvebody modifications to get main line pressures up.
After that it's all about beefing up whatever breaks next.

Maybe PM halfcent as I'm pretty sure he has a database of the available sources of parts for the 4T40/45E for his own project car.
Good luck on the build
WopOnTour
Old 12-02-2006, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
well then theres my question again....why not just wait for the turbo since ur not even gonna build the engine for a while...turbo's are 1-2 months away, n tuning wont be too long, though probably more than the 1-2 months for the turbo....i always have seen turbos as a much more cost effective way to get high horsepower...not to mention its constant horsepwer opposed to a shot which only lasts as long as the shot does
Well for one, what company is releasing a kit in 1-2 months? secondly, even though what your sayin is true, i probably won't have that much to buy a kit, but i might just consider that and wait a lil longer.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by WopOnTour
A huge shot of nitrous is especially hard on an automatic transaxle, unless you can "stage" it somehow.

But its gonna take more than Royal Purple to bring the 4T45E up to the level required to deal with 350+ lb/ft of TQ. The torque converter will be the least of your worries.In particular the input shaft and input gearset will need to be hardened and likely TCM or other valvebody modifications to get main line pressures up. After that it's all about beefing up whatever breaks next.

Maybe PM halfcent as I'm pretty sure he has a database of the available sources of parts for the 4T40/45E for his own project car.
Good luck on the build
WopOnTour
no, the royal purple tranny fluid is just for my pleasing of doing the 75 shot, it has nothing to do with the build. once the build is started, then my tranny will get it share of tlc. i will contact halfcent for his 2cent doh. thanks.

Quick Reply: Royal Purple tranny fluid